New Chameleon Owner

icecrusher2018

Hi everyone, I'm new to the chameleon world. I just purchased a new baby veiled chameleon and wanted to ask if you guys think her enclosure is adequate enough. I have been doing plenty of reading and read that the plants I had put in there should be safe and will keep her happy. (Her name is Momo btw)
IMG_0353.jpg

Hi everyone, I'm new to the chameleon world. I just purchased a new baby veiled chameleon and wanted to ask if you guys think her enclosure is adequate enough. I have been doing plenty of reading and read that the plants I had put in there should be safe and will keep her happy. (Her name is Momo btw)View attachment 276179
Hi there welcome to the forum. This is a good start. I can tell you have been reading in the forum. :)
So lighting will need to be changed for her. The compact UVB is no good. You want a T5HO fixture with a 5.0 or 6% arcadia bulb. and then a distance of 9 inches to the branch below it for proper UVI level. Also you will need some additional plant lighting specifically for the hibiscus as they require high light. This is a good baby cage but will need to be upgraded as well.
I really love this husbandry program. It will walk you through accurate info on everything. https://chameleonacademy.com/chameleon-husbandry-program-getting-started-with-chameleons/

Wow, this is crazy, I didn't expect someone to actually help me! I'm heading to the pet store today to grab another humidity gauge, as the one I had received initially just spun around :/. I'll look for those things when I'm there. Thank you so much for your help!

Wow, this is crazy, I didn't expect someone to actually help me! I'm heading to the pet store today to grab another humidity gauge, as the one I had received initially just spun around :/. I'll look for those things when I'm there. Thank you so much for your help!
So they are going to have more then likely T8 UVB lighting. This will work if they do not have T5HO fixtures and bulbs. But I am going to give you info for both...

For a T8 linear fixture you want a 10.0 UVB bulb. Basking level would be 6 inches down. Heat output is a bit lower on these and so is the UVI output.

For a T5HO linear fixture you want a 5.0 UVB bulb. Basking level would be 9 inches down. Heat output is higher and so is the UVI output.

Make sure you get digital wired gauges not analog.

What do you have for supplements and feeders?

Well, my local pet supply store has been low on stock for just about everything. They told me to come back today. I'm planning on getting a Zoomed Little or Big Dripper for her water (I've been hand watering with a spray bottle, that's what they told me to do in the meantime). I have been having a hard time figuring out the best way to feed her, as I'm not sure if I just have crickets hopping around in there for a more wild/natural feel for her. The manager at the store told me to make sure she eats about three to four times a week but didn't tell me HOW MUCH each time I feed her. She's been eating about -3 crickets each time she eats. I will attach a picture so you can gauge her size...

Attachments

• IMG_0354.jpg
    IMG_0354.jpg
    88.1 KB · Views: 160
Well, my local pet supply store has been low on stock for just about everything. They told me to come back today. I'm planning on getting a Zoomed Little or Big Dripper for her water (I've been hand watering with a spray bottle, that's what they told me to do in the meantime). I have been having a hard time figuring out the best way to feed her, as I'm not sure if I just have crickets hopping around in there for a more wild/natural feel for her. The manager at the store told me to make sure she eats about three to four times a week but didn't tell me HOW MUCH each time I feed her. She's been eating about -3 crickets each time she eats. I will attach a picture so you can gauge her size...
Ok so do me a favor and forget what they told you. :)

She will eat at this age every single day a minimum of 15 feeders. They must be size appropriate for her. small to medium feeders no larger.

Please fill out this form with as much detail as possible. This way we can make sure you were given correct husbandry for her. Did they say it was a female? IF so I would like to double check this. We would need pics of the back of her back feet to look for tarsal spurs. Side view helps.

Chameleon Info:

• Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:

• Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
  • Location - Where are you geographically located?

Chameleon Info:
Veiled Chameleon, female (at least I think), age unknown they just said she's a baby, third day in my care today
I handle her each day for at least 15 minutes or until she goes into defense mode, I don't wanna stress her out too much,
Just crickets dusted with repticalcium no D3, about 2-4 each day, I don't know anything about gut-loading
Calcium carbonate
I hand water until I get her a dripper, yes I see her drinking
Long worm-like, wet-looking and brown with one spot of bright green, I don't know if she has been tested

Cage info:
Screen cage, 16x16x30
Zoomed dual bulb light, one basking light and one coil UVB, 12 hours on 12 hours off,
90 is the highest during the day at the top of the cage, about 82 in her hang out spot in the exact middle, 75 or so just below that. Lowest at night is 70-75 (depends on AC)
Humidity is unknown yet but she's showing no signs of a respiratory infection
Live plants; Ponytail palm, two hibiscuses, dracaena marginata, one bamboo looking plant at the bottom (just for looks)
In my room not directly under any vents, vans or near any high traffic areas, the cage is 8 inches from the ground
I am in the California Central Coast

Thank you for helping me!

Chameleon Info:
Veiled Chameleon, female (at least I think), age unknown they just said she's a baby, third day in my care today
I handle her each day for at least 15 minutes or until she goes into defense mode, I don't wanna stress her out too much,
Just crickets dusted with repticalcium no D3, about 2-4 each day, I don't know anything about gut-loading
Calcium carbonate
I hand water until I get her a dripper, yes I see her drinking
Long worm-like, wet-looking and brown with one spot of bright green, I don't know if she has been tested

Cage info:
Screen cage, 16x16x30
Zoomed dual bulb light, one basking light and one coil UVB, 12 hours on 12 hours off,
90 is the highest during the day at the top of the cage, about 82 in her hang out spot in the exact middle, 75 or so just below that. Lowest at night is 70-75 (depends on AC)
Humidity is unknown yet but she's showing no signs of a respiratory infection
Live plants; Ponytail palm, two hibiscuses, dracaena marginata, one bamboo looking plant at the bottom (just for looks)
In my room not directly under any vents, vans or near any high traffic areas, the cage is 8 inches from the ground

Thank you for helping me!
Ok I am going to go through your form..... Please do not let this overwhelm you it will be a ton of info.

@icecrusher2018 See my feedback in red bold.

Chameleon Info:
Veiled Chameleon, female (at least I think), age unknown they just said she's a baby, third day in my care today. Pics of back of back feet will show babies gender. IF there is a tarsal spur it is a male.
I handle her each day for at least 15 minutes or until she goes into defense mode, I don't wanna stress her out too much, Try not to handle her much the next week or so. Let baby settle in.
Just crickets dusted with repticalcium no D3, about 2-4 each day, I don't know anything about gut-loading. You will want to order Reptical with D3 This will be your multivitamin and Calcium with D3. This should be given two times a month on say the 1st and the 15th. The calcium without D3 should be used at all other feedings. At this age baby will be eating at least 15 small to medium crickets every day. This amount changes as they age. All feeders should be lightly dusted. See gutloading image for your feeders. Fresh veg or something like repashy bug burger can be used.
Calcium carbonate
I hand water until I get her a dripper, yes I see her drinking. So are you misting the plants? This should be done morning and evening. Do not spray during the day when cage is hot this can lead to baby developing an Respiratory infection. Little dripper can be used dripping on the plant leaves for a few hours during the day. Fogging at night when the cage is cool (below 68) and all lights are off provides natural hydration. Here is more info on that. https://www.chameleonbreeder.com/podcast/ep-89-naturalistic-hydration-for-chameleons/
Long worm-like, wet-looking and brown with one spot of bright green, I don't know if she has been tested..

Cage info:
Screen cage, 16x16x30 will need to be upgraded to a 2x2x4 enclosure. If female you will need to provide a lay bin by the time she is 6 months old.
Zoomed dual bulb light, one basking light and one coil UVB, 12 hours on 12 hours off, UVB needs to be upgraded...
For a T8 linear fixture you want a 10.0 UVB bulb. Basking level would be 6 inches down. Heat output is a bit lower on these and so is the UVI output.
OR

For a T5HO linear fixture you want a 5.0 UVB bulb. Basking level would be 9 inches down. Heat output is higher and so is the UVI output.
Should run the width of the cage. I would buy a 24 inch fixture because you will need to upgrade the cage. Pangea Reptile online has T5 lighting with 6% bulbs... No stronger then the 6%. Let me know if you have questions here.

90 is the highest during the day at the top of the cage, about 82 in her hang out spot in the exact middle, 75 or so just below that. Lowest at night is 70-75 (depends on AC) If baby is screen climbing the top panel then she is high risk for thermal burns. I suggest raising the basking fixture up off the cage BUT not until you have the correct UVB lighting. They do need a cool down at night so if you get the house even down into the 60's this is fine. Basking temp no hotter then 80 use a wired probe at basking branch to pull exact temperature.
Humidity is unknown yet but she's showing no signs of a respiratory infection. Daytime humidity should be 30-50% MAX... Better if 30-40%. Night when cooler can be up to 100%.
Live plants; Ponytail palm, two hibiscuses, dracaena marginata, one bamboo looking plant at the bottom (just for looks)... Stick with Veiled tested plants if possible they eat their plants so you want to be sure they are safe. https://chameleonacademy.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/12/Chameleon-Plants-122819.pdf You will need plant lighting... 6500 daylight bulbs, Jungle dawn, sansi these are a few options.

You will want to start reading this husbandry program... https://chameleonacademy.com/chameleon-husbandry-program-getting-started-with-chameleons/
Then ask questions here.

IF you have a female there is gender specific husbandry for her. Once we know for sure we can give you that info.

Accurate info and Product links for things I like:

https://chameleonacademy.com/

https://www.chameleonbreeder.com/

https://www.youtube.com/c/NeptunetheChameleon?sub_confirmation=1

www.dragonstrand.com

https://tkchameleons.com/collections/accessories/products/shooting-gallery

chameleon-food(1).jpg
chameleon-gutload.jpg

Hi, thank you for all of the information and resources! I'm heading to the store in just a bit for the new things. The only thing I noticed about her today is that she's spending most of her time clinging to the side of her enclosure rather than on her branches and vines. She did shed today, so does that have anything to do with it? Thanks!

Hi, thank you for all of the information and resources! I'm heading to the store in just a bit for the new things. The only thing I noticed about her today is that she's spending most of her time clinging to the side of her enclosure rather than on her branches and vines. She did shed today, so does that have anything to do with it? Thanks!
She could be stressed. Or if the temps are higher then your thinking they are she could be trying to get to a cooler part of the cage.

So I'm not trying to freak myself out but she started doing this, this morning. For some reason, when I woke up, the humidity was 50! She sat there like this for about 15 mins and then stopped. Is it a respiratory infection? I don't have the money for just a check-up, but I will in a few days if I really need to take her in. Thanks.

Attachments

• IMG_0378.jpg
    IMG_0378.jpg
    24.4 KB · Views: 102
Chams do it all the time. Unless you start hearing a wheezing, popping, mucousy, sound then I'd be concerned. Sometimes they just get too warm and will open their mouths to cool off. It's pretty typical for them. Anytime, glad to help and continue asking questions. It never hurts. :)

Back
Top Bottom