New Chameleon Owner

So I'm not trying to freak myself out but she started doing this, this morning. For some reason, when I woke up, the humidity was 50! She sat there like this for about 15 mins and then stopped. Is it a respiratory infection? I don't have the money for just a check-up, but I will in a few days if I really need to take her in. Thanks.
Do you have a probe there to tell the exact temp? Looks quite close to the heat.

Well, my local pet supply store has been low on stock for just about everything. They told me to come back today. I'm planning on getting a Zoomed Little or Big Dripper for her water (I've been hand watering with a spray bottle, that's what they told me to do in the meantime). I have been having a hard time figuring out the best way to feed her, as I'm not sure if I just have crickets hopping around in there for a more wild/natural feel for her. The manager at the store told me to make sure she eats about three to four times a week but didn't tell me HOW MUCH each time I feed her. She's been eating about -3 crickets each time she eats. I will attach a picture so you can gauge her size...
There's a website called chewys.com that has decent pretty good prices for some stuff

Yes it is there on that vine
Ok so this is what I see in the image... And why I am basically harassing you lol. I see a probe farther down where I circled... But the probe should be farther up where the arrow is. use a small zip tie to gently attach it to the vine there under the heat lamp.

This issue is where it is now will pull much cooler temps then what she is sitting under. If I remember correctly the cham kit comes with a 60 watt bulb... So what she needs to be close like this to is the Compact UVB that is sitting in the other side. FLip the dome around so that the compact UVB is on top of where the vine comes higher there. Right now where everything is and how a compact works she is getting no UVB and all heat right there. I am willing to bet that spot is at least 85 which is too hot for her and is why she is gaping. So flipping it around will help reduce temp there as well.

IMG_0378.jpg

Also, she has a bit of shed left on her head from 3 days ago. At what point should I be worried about leftover shed?
Typically at this age if husbandry is correct they will do a very rapid shed within a 24 hour period. If she still has shed left it could be due to something missing in husbandry or it could be as simple as she got wet when she was shedding. Just make sure you are not spraying her directly. It should come off on it's own. The only time we intervene is if they develop a cuff around a leg or tail. This looks like a rubber band squeezing into the skin. Otherwise we let them shed naturally.

Yes, it is the T8... They did not have the T5HO, they only had one model that was labeled for tropical reptiles. I just put it in the middle of the enclosure. The picture you saw was a weird angle lol.

Yes, it is the T8... They did not have the T5HO, they only had one model that was labeled for tropical reptiles. I just put it in the middle of the enclosure. The picture you saw was a weird angle lol.
Ok and is it the one with the 10.0 bulb? The bulb will say what strength it is.

It said 15 watt, tropical 25
Ok so unfortunately I can not find online the actual bulb strength used with that one. If you can double check when you are home if it says 10.0 or 5.0 on the end of the bulb it will make a difference in distance for her to get the correct UVB>

Okay, thank you. I'm sorry I'm making this so hard for you! I wish I had done more research!
No need to apologize. It is overwhelming when you first start out... With or without research. When your new it is just hard.
Just keep reading back through the feedback form I gave you and do the husbandry program. It will help you a lot. Then ask questions here.
Let me know though what that bulb says. If it is a 5.0 you will need the 10.0 because the 5.0 in a T8 does not push the UVB low enough.

Back
Top Bottom