T. Hoehnelii Hydration Strategy

naterowley

Established Member
Hi everyone, i have purchased a male T. Hoehnelii whom I’ve named Ollie that is currently 3 months old, I am planning on getting him around early May. I’m currently setting up his enclosure (2x2x4) and re-reading husbandry stuff. I found this

“Hydration is through a standard chameleon protocol of about three hours of night time fogging in the early morning with 15 minutes misting in the morning and 15 minutes in the late afternoon.” - Chameleon Academy Care Guide

For now I’m just asking about hydration, how is everyone doing their hydration? I have a fogger and mist king at my disposal and I’m willing to DIY stuff

(I will be keeping in a hybrid enclosure with the top and cleaning hatch screen)

Thanks

Hi everyone, i have purchased a male T. Hoehnelii whom I’ve named Ollie that is currently 3 months old, I am planning on getting him around early May. I’m currently setting up his enclosure (2x2x4) and re-reading husbandry stuff. I found this

“Hydration is through a standard chameleon protocol of about three hours of night time fogging in the early morning with 15 minutes misting in the morning and 15 minutes in the late afternoon.” - Chameleon Academy Care Guide

For now I’m just asking about hydration, how is everyone doing their hydration? I have a fogger and mist king at my disposal and I’m willing to DIY stuff

(I will be keeping in a hybrid enclosure with the top and cleaning hatch screen)

Thanks
I use both the mist king and a fogger
My Mistking just does 10-20 sec mists through out the night while fogging, and then I do a 2 minute mist before lights off and on with my mister. When winter first started and it was really cold I used a dripper during the day because I had observed my chameleon being quite thirsty. I think both are great tools to have

Thank you! Here is the pic of him from the breeder!

IMG_7798.JPG

Thanks
I will continue to forget unless I send it now lol Here's the portable AC unit we bought for hurricane season. It works beautifully 😍 TURBRO Greenland 8,000 BTU... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08TR2HJ9L?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

Thanks
😍😍 I missed this somehow, congrats I love Hoehnelii’s 👌🏻👌🏻😎. Please keep spamming us with pics

I will continue to forget unless I send it now lol Here's the portable AC unit we bought for hurricane season. It works beautifully 😍 TURBRO Greenland 8,000 BTU... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08TR2HJ9L?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share
Hey there can I pick your brain about this unit? I have slowly been buying portable's for my place. Found one I really liked same design as this one but then Home Depot replaced it with a subpar model so I could not get another. I want to get one more like this to replace my window unit air conditioner in Beman's room.

How long have you had this unit and were you running it like non stop? How easy is it to access the water holding section to be able to drain it?

I know this species from the wild and from captivity. Concerning hydration: in the wild, they technically live so high, that they sleep daily in clouds/fog, at very low temps (sometimes around freezing point. The fog is untense and comes and goes randomly to dissolve in the morning hours around 8-9 on average leaving the biotope very wet and full of big droplets of dew. It is often also quite windy.

So my recommendation is to mimic it: night should be 50s or 40s full of fog… then they will not require drinking at daytime at all

The most frequent mitakes in their husbandry is:
Overheating
Too high temp at night
No fog
No pollen
Basking lamp more than 2hours a day (they can bask to death)

Thanks
That hydration protocol was taken directly from the hoehneli breeder I was creating the care guide with. It is obviously a functional method, but you could be effective with a whole lot less water if you extend the fogging hours during the night (say start with 1AM to 6AM and adjust as needed). The misting in the morning could be reduced to 30 seconds just before the fog starts and 30 seconds right as the fog is ending if the leaves are not already saturated with "dew" from the fog. And this will probably take care of the hydration needs and you probably wouldn't need anything in the afternoon.

Back
Top Bottom