Modifying a Zen Habitats cage?

PlanetRemulak

Avid Member
Currently looking into cage upgrades. I’m going back and forth between Zen Habitats and a Tamura Designs set up. Tamura cages are gorgeous and so dialed in, but I’m looking at about a $700 dollar difference between them (I’ll need two cages) and two Zen Habitats side by side on a cabinet. Nowhere to mount plants in a Zen Habitats cage however, unless I make my own ledges, but not sure if that would affect how the two cages fit together since they’d be right by each other. I suppose I could also use lattice board (but I assume it would be have to be screwed into the tops and bottoms to hold). Also wondering if anyone has had any experience in installing a shower drain into the bottom of a Zen Habitats cage? Pointers on how one might go about doing this would be super appreciated!

Currently looking into cage upgrades. I’m going back and forth between Zen Habitats and a Tamura Designs set up. Tamura cages are gorgeous and so dialed in, but I’m looking at about a $700 dollar difference between them (I’ll need two cages) and two Zen Habitats side by side on a cabinet. Nowhere to mount plants in a Zen Habitats cage however, unless I make my own ledges, but not sure if that would affect how the two cages fit together since they’d be right by each other. I suppose I could also use lattice board (but I assume it would be have to be screwed into the tops and bottoms to hold). Also wondering if anyone has had any experience in installing a shower drain into the bottom of a Zen Habitats cage? Pointers on how one might go about doing this would be super appreciated!
I was just thinking today about making a faux background with climbing ledges for my beardie’s Zen. My thought was to use egg crate light diffuser panels, but I didn’t get far enough in my idea to consider how I’d attach them.

I was just thinking today about making a faux background with climbing ledges for my beardie’s Zen. My thought was to use egg crate light diffuser panels, but I didn’t get far enough in my idea to consider how I’d attach them.
That’s actually a really great idea. faux ledges/“floating pots” kind of eliminates the need for any sort of ledges. Got me doing some deep thinking about this now 😂

That’s actually a really great idea. faux ledges/“floating pots” kind of eliminates the need for any sort of ledges. Got me doing some deep thinking about this now 😂
I’ve done faux backgrounds for all of my chameleon’s screened enclosures with egg crate panels and great stuff foam. About to get started on ones for Kali’s big girl enclosure. Don’t know if it’ll help any, but here’s a few pics of what I did.
While it’s not shown, I did attach landscaping fabric to the back to prevent the foam from oozing thru. The foam can eat up a lot of space, so I carved it down as much as I could.
90B4216E-FF44-49F1-9968-C8EAAD5ECC8E.jpeg 9AE2D857-9C4F-4342-87C4-63AFED905C4D.jpeg 0A0F4403-A979-4C1B-83EC-94580884F2E9.jpeg 5FA78EC4-18BE-4E5A-A33B-2D8B8521DD7B.jpeg

I’ve done faux backgrounds for all of my chameleon’s screened enclosures with egg crate panels and great stuff foam. About to get started on ones for Kali’s big girl enclosure. Don’t know if it’ll help any, but here’s a few pics of what I did.
While it’s not shown, I did attach landscaping fabric to the back to prevent the foam from oozing thru. The foam can eat up a lot of space, so I carved it down as much as I could.
View attachment 317669View attachment 317670View attachment 317671View attachment 317672
Thank you so much for the pics! I’ve never tried this before myself, is the black primer looking stuff the plasti dip? How long did you let it gas out before it was safe to use, and do repeated mistings wear down the coco fiber?

Thank you so much for the pics! I’ve never tried this before myself, is the black primer looking stuff the plasti dip? How long did you let it gas out before it was safe to use, and do repeated mistings wear down the coco fiber?
I have used Flex Seal for the first panels I made, but it was just too expensive and very goopy, so I switched to Plasti Dip. I did have to work pretty fast to get the coco fiber stuck as the drying time is faster. It took me quite a while to get everything ready, so all of the panels had 2 weeks or longer gassing off time. So far after about 6 months, I haven’t noticed any wearing down. The panels I did with the Flex Seal are about 1 1/2 yrs old and they are showing some wear of the coco coir coming off.
It’s the back panel on the right. Not sure that the wear is from the misting, plant rubbing against it or chameleon climbing it.
BD2CA855-7059-4E1C-95BE-13B1294A91C0.jpeg

I have used Flex Seal for the first panels I made, but it was just too expensive and very goopy, so I switched to Plasti Dip. I did have to work pretty fast to get the coco fiber stuck as the drying time is faster. It took me quite a while to get everything ready, so all of the panels had 2 weeks or longer gassing off time. So far after about 6 months, I haven’t noticed any wearing down. The panels I did with the Flex Seal are about 1 1/2 yrs old and they are showing some wear of the coco coir coming off.
It’s the back panel on the right. Not sure that the wear is from the misting, plant rubbing against it or chameleon climbing it.
View attachment 317673
Still looks so awesome! Definitely worth considering. Thank you again for the pictures!

Shouldn't be a problem. Here are some ideas for branch & plant support. Some require anchoring to a frame—others do not.
My plan is to line the entire interior (except ceiling) of a Zen with ceiling egg crate. Vines & chameleon like climbing it now, and there are several good ways of anchoring it to a Zen frame.

For the floor, I'd reproduce what I have now. Window screen over egg crate, so plants can be supported, water drains through, and debris & bugs are stopped by the screen.

Shouldn't be a problem. Here are some ideas for branch & plant support. Some require anchoring to a frame—others do not.
My plan is to line the entire interior (except ceiling) of a Zen with ceiling egg crate. Vines & chameleon like climbing it now, and there are several good ways of anchoring it to a Zen frame.

For the floor, I'd reproduce what I have now. Window screen over egg crate, so plants can be supported, water drains through, and debris & bugs are stopped by the screen.
I actually came across an older post of yours where you mentioned screwing ceiling egg crate into the cage sides. Awesome idea. I’m actually considering screwing metal flat straps in the sides to use aluminum bars or 2 x 4’s to make a suspended plant stand.

Also wanted to ask how you had planned on anchoring egg crate to your zen frame?

Last edited:
Also wanted to ask how you had planned on anchoring egg crate to your zen frame?
I haven't yet, but as I mentioned, there are several ways, depending on the particular egg crate (dimensions) and other variables. Here are just a couple:

The egg crate available where I am is 1/4" thick, which is the amount of space from the flange to the tube wall, with 5/8" grid.

Egg crate can be held in place either directly (fig.1) or indirectly (fig. 2) with sheet metal screws. In fig 1, I would use 3/4" O.D. or larger flat washers so the screw heads don't slip through the grid.

In fig. 2, small pieces of wood/plastic/metal (whatever's available) are screwed into the frame, holding the egg crate in place. These "holder" pieces can also run all the way across the egg crate, held on each side (similar to what I'm doing now).

1641572273742.png
1641572300510.png

There are other methods, but these 2 should cover most situations (except the floor).

I used aluminum angel bar and flat bar. Think it was 30 buck for 5 ledges. Without flat bar on outside screws wanted to pull through

i have to wonder if this would be an issue without some sort of brace on the outside walls of the cage 🤔
Correct. The design of DS Dragon Ledges is different for screen vs. hybrid enclosures. Screen enclosures have an external strip of PVC to attach the ledges to (which unfortunately punctures the screen). The hybrids don't have that strip; they screw directly into (through) the thin PVC walls.

Here's mine
Your cages look great! gives me a lot to go off of.

Correct. The design of DS Dragon Ledges is different for screen vs. hybrid enclosures. Screen enclosures have an external strip of PVC to attach the ledges to (which unfortunately punctures the screen). The hybrids don't have that strip; they screw directly into (through) the thin PVC walls.
Sorry to sound dense here - meaning you would want/need a brace on the outside of PVC cages supporting ledges? Do you think the same would go for anything else mounted to the inside walls of a hybrid cage, like ceiling egg crate? (I found a bunch of wire storage cube grids. I’m considering whether or not they would work by screwing the edges of the grids into the PVC walls but would be afraid of bowing from the weight of pots/branches without an outside support)

Pvc will bow warmer pvc is more will bow I would think. Pvc on my cage was 1/4 inch thick and it was out side about 80 degrees and bow with pots on ledges without brace. That why I put brace out side and it was putting indents where screws were

Back
Top Bottom