Modifying a Zen Habitats cage?

Sorry to sound dense here - meaning you would want/need a brace on the outside of PVC cages supporting ledges?
IME, you need something, yes. It doesn't necessarily have to be elaborate, but should transfer weight to the frame, IMO—not place it on an 1/8" PVC sheet. This is one reason I've been suggesting alternatives for branch & plant support as per post #10.

Do you think the same would go for anything else mounted to the inside walls of a hybrid cage, like ceiling egg crate?
Yes, that's why my suggestions (post #12) were to attach the egg crate to the frame rather than the walls.

(I found a bunch of wire storage cube grids. I’m considering whether or not they would work by screwing the edges of the grids into the PVC walls but would be afraid of bowing from the weight of pots/branches without an outside support)
Exactly. They could be attached to the frame similar to how I described the egg crate, but IDK how the dimensions would work out.

Another way to attach either (egg crate, wire grids) might be to drill very small holes in the frame, and use wire to attach.

I was in the same quandary , though I like the Zen cage, it’s made of particleboard with vinyl covering . Plus it only comes in that bamboo look . If any moisture gets past that vinyl the cage will start to disintegrate . Cost wise yes it’s a much more inexpensive unit . Tamura cages are 100% PVC almost indestructible with aluminum framing . They’re also used by most of the top breeders I’ve been seeing these cages are off the charts and well worth the money..

I was in the same quandary , though I like the Zen cage, it’s made of particleboard with vinyl covering .
That's not particleboard OR vinyl covering. It's 1/4" sheet PVC with a bamboo veneer.
https://www.zenhabitats.com/collect...osures/products/2x2x4-pvc-reptile-enclosure-1

Plus it only comes in that bamboo look .
At one time they had an option for white PVC in lieu of the bamboo. IDK if they still offer this, but it never hurts to ask via email or phone.

If any moisture gets past that vinyl the cage will start to disintegrate . Cost wise yes it’s a much more inexpensive unit . Tamura cages are 100% PVC almost indestructible with aluminum framing . They’re also used by most of the top breeders I’ve been seeing these cages are off the charts and well worth the money..
IDK where you're getting your info., but it's mistaken. Construction of both is very similar.

That's not particleboard OR vinyl covering. It's 1/4" sheet PVC with a bamboo veneer.
https://www.zenhabitats.com/collect...osures/products/2x2x4-pvc-reptile-enclosure-1

At one time they had an option for white PVC in lieu of the bamboo. IDK if they still offer this, but it never hurts to ask via email or phone.

IDK where you're getting your info., but it's mistaken. Construction of both is very similar.
Actually I have a buddy that bought one that’s where I’m getting my info ,, I did call and ask Actually and verify that it’s particleboard with a vinyl overlay and it only comes in bamboo 🤷🏽‍♂️ that’s the information I was given

I've done some more looking, and it appears you're correct.
  • The material description on their website now reads, "Composite PVC Panels". I don't recall the 'composite' but that makes a difference.
  • In the Questions area of an Amazon page, I found:
Question: Is this actual bamboo, or just a sticker over something else? If it’s a sticker or other finish, what are the actual walls made of?​
Answer: Hi the panels are a mdf board with a bamboo lament.​
By Zen Habitats Seller on December 3, 2019​

DIY it is. (y)

Last edited:
I've done some more looking, and it appears you're correct.
  • The material description on their website now reads, "Composite PVC Panels". I don't recall the 'composite' but that makes a difference.
  • In the Questions area of an Amazon page, I found:

DIY it is. (y)

Thank you for confirming and acknowledging .. I never wanna give out that information but being in the construction industry I’m very familiar with Materials . The cost of PVC vinyl sheeting alone would exceed the cost of that cage . That’s why I would if I could afford it op for the tumara since it is 100% PVC panel . They’re incredible cages no doubt and maybe when I’m feeling a little cocky with a fat paycheck I may opt for one of those two as of now I’m building my own from scratch .. sadly I think I’ll end up spending just about as much 🤣🤣🤣 . I respect your opinion and don’t wanna lead anyone astray .. you’re a valued member here ..

Thank you for confirming and acknowledging .. I never wanna give out that information but being in the construction industry I’m very familiar with Materials . The cost of PVC vinyl sheeting alone would exceed the cost of that cage . That’s why I would if I could afford it op for the tumara since it is 100% PVC panel . They’re incredible cages no doubt and maybe when I’m feeling a little cocky with a fat paycheck I may opt for one of those two as of now I’m building my own from scratch .. sadly I think I’ll end up spending just about as much 🤣🤣🤣 . I respect your opinion and don’t wanna lead anyone astray .. you’re a valued member here ..
Thank you. I've mentioned elsewhere that I've designed a few of these, and I have to disagree with the above.
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Veranda...MERCH=REC-_-searchViewed-_-NA-_-312995340-_-N
For a 24 x 24 x 48 enclosure, this would be ~$81 for the 3 PVC panels—not even close to the cost of either Zen ($400) or Tamura ($675). Buying full sheets in quantity for production would reduce that cost by up to 1/2.

I've often said DIY may/may not save any money (particularly for us over-designers) but you can get exactly what you want. ;)

I've nothing against Tamura (except maybe the cost). If that's what your heart is set on, then by all means go for it. I've been saving for a Zen, but that's changed now. Last time I priced out building a Zen clone (but with real PVC and plate glass doors) having everything prefabricated, was still less than buying one (albeit not by much). It's been a year, so I'll have to re-estimate or send out the plan for bids.

Yeah not even the same quality or thickness 3/8 PVC board from Home Depot is 44 bucks a sheet standard high density PVC Half inch in bulk is 140 bucks a sheet ,

Use 1/4 inch and can get aluminum with Channel it fits. You can also get spline that fits that for screen.

Use 1/4 inch and can get aluminum with Channel it fits. You can also get spline that fits that for screen.
That's a feature I like about Quick Frame & ilk. Though I've found some sleight differences between mfrs., they all (I think) will take a 1/4" panel or 5/16" window screen frame.

Window frame wouldn't fit mine that was my plan
In what way(s)? Too large/small?

1642079130737.png

This vendor (8020) has .320 inches between the flanges at the tightest spot, which is a smidge larger than 5/16" (3125 inches). Should be a near-perfect fit.

There is some difference in dimensions between different vendors, so that's a possibility.

That's a feature I like about Quick Frame & ilk. Though I've found some sleight differences between mfrs., they all (I think) will take a 1/4" panel or 5/16" window screen frame.

That’s a great idea!! I have some leftover 1/8 inch poly carbonate(clear) , if I rip One side of the screen frame channel the screen rope goes in I bet that poly carbonate would lay in that track. I could use three side screen frames to make the back and side then make a screen front and top !

Here ones I used
Thx, I think I've got that vendor on my list. This is one of those with different dimensions (between the flanges) so I see why the screen frame didn't fit.

There are some screen frames that are only 1/4" instead of 5/16". Those should fit, and would be less expensive than replacing the tubing.

Where did you get it what links does it come in??
https://www.estoconnectors.com/ has same dwgs.

I just used 1/4 spline and screen. Frist try pulled out and cut new piece. But nice and tight no bows in screen. Couldn't find any 1/4 frame for screen

Back
Top Bottom