Modifying a Zen Habitats cage?

Umm... I may have to retract my retraction. :oops:

What model enclosure was that? :unsure: Here's why...

Digging further still, I find that they indeed do offer a panel option in some models, e.g.:
https://www.zenhabitats.com/collect...enclosures/products/zen-habitat-w-wood-panels
has the MDF w/ bamboo laminate

https://www.zenhabitats.com/collect...losures/products/4x2x2-pvc-reptile-enclosures
has PVC panels

According to Zen's website, both vertical (48"H) enclosures come with PVC panels.

My brain hurts. 🤯 🤕

I think the second option you showed me this misleading . When I called to find out more information they clearly stated to me that the panels were laminate , So I’m thinking in the second ad they’re basically stating that the laminate is PVC 🤷🏽‍♂️

@PlanetRemulak so I YouTubed “installing dragon strand ledges to hybrid cage”. I found the dragon strand channel installing it on their own hybrid cage. Now i saw someone saying they’re not exactly pvc sides, like my zen. But I figure it would still work the same! Here’s the link :

In regards to you feeling especially brave after a fat paycheck 😂😂

I noticed Tamura offers a shop pay option in check out. The total would be split up over 4 payments. The longer I hem and haw over this, the more I realize Tamura has everything I want without having to figure out how to modify an already expensive cage myself. Sounds like your circumstances are different, though - you can make your own. I’ve said this before just now, but I guess I’ll repeat myself. I wish I was handy!
Well I’m in the process now of making my own , thought I was going to get out cheaper . At this point I’m into my enclosure for over 2k and it started out with a $40 , off the Internet used curio cabinet. The good part is I have bragging rights of completely converting this into an amazing enclosure fully automated . But at the end of the day if I had to go back and do it again I most definitely would’ve Gone with the Tumura . I would’ve already had reptiles in it I’m going on over a month now of this build . Though it’s custom and has every amenity I needed my next enclosure will definitely be one from dale .. JMO 😊

Attachments

• D16E4959-143B-4387-8C0A-5FC956BA0193.jpeg
    D16E4959-143B-4387-8C0A-5FC956BA0193.jpeg
    248.3 KB · Views: 103
Not quite, but they really confuse matters with their terminology.
Look at: https://www.zenhabitats.com/collections/zen-habitats-reptile-enclosures
If the description says "Wood Panel" then it's fiberboard/hardboard/masonite.
If the description says "PVC Panel" then it's PVC.
BOTH tall enclosures (those suitable for chameleons) are PVC.

How much would it cost to DIY? Assuming building exactly the same thing, less than buying.
The real advantage to DIY, IMO, is that you can get exactly what you want by working any mods into your design.

I think the second option you showed me this misleading . When I called to find out more information they clearly stated to me that the panels were laminate , So I’m thinking in the second ad they’re basically stating that the laminate is PVC 🤷🏽‍♂️

Yeah...look at the picture I posted yesterday. I literally just received the zen 2x2x4 "PVC" and it's not solid PVC. You can see it's some sort of particleboard with very thin pvc vaneer.

Should I send it back?
Should I be concerned how waterproof it is?
On the box it says 0-100% humidity and 3 year warranty
Will they stand behind their waranty?

If you don't like it and they will take it back send back. Don't think they will inless something wrong with it.

Cages does look good. But 2k damn you could of made one with aluminum frame and pvc for about 300 to 350 not counting mistking and lights

Cages does look good. But 2k damn you could of made one with aluminum frame and pvc for about 300 to 350 not counting mistking and lights
I totally agree , I guess I’m just an overachiever 🤷🏽‍♂️ And I’ll definitely take a different path next time but I am having a lot of fun creating an environment .

Well I’m in the process now of making my own , thought I was going to get out cheaper . At this point I’m into my enclosure for over 2k and it started out with a $40 , off the Internet used curio cabinet.
That is so often the case. I started my beardie enclosure with a $200 budget. When I hit $500, I stopped keeping track, but I know it went several hundred more....

The good part is I have bragging rights of completely converting this into an amazing enclosure fully automated .
I often tell people DIY may or may not save you any money, but you can get exactly what you want (along with all the ego boosting...)
https://www.chameleonforums.com/sea...+you+want"&c[users]=Klyde+O'Scope&o=relevance

You're also that much ahead of the game (the experience & lessons learned) for next time.

But at the end of the day if I had to go back and do it again I most definitely would’ve Gone with the Tumura . I would’ve already had reptiles in it I’m going on over a month now of this build . Though it’s custom and has every amenity I needed my next enclosure will definitely be one from dale .. JMO 😊
That's similar to something I said after the beardie-build, but when my Missus wanted a baby tortoise, nobody was making tortoise tables we liked, so... DIY it was.

That is so often the case. I started my beardie enclosure with a $200 budget. When I hit $500, I stopped keeping track, but I know it went several hundred more....

I often tell people DIY may or may not save you any money, but you can get exactly what you want (along with all the ego boosting...)
https://www.chameleonforums.com/sea...+you+want"&c[users]=Klyde+O'Scope&o=relevance

You're also that much ahead of the game (the experience & lessons learned) for next time.

That's similar to something I said after the beardie-build, but when my Missus wanted a baby tortoise, nobody was making tortoise tables we liked, so... DIY it was.

Ha well I guess you have said that a few times . Yes I’m at that point too , i’m no longer keeping track but I’m making you very beautiful friendly for me . Luckily I am over 30 years construction experience so there’s more thought and its very well planned out.

Last edited:
I don’t know if it’s already been said but I am fairly confident you can install dragon strand ledges into the zen pvc walls. I watched a video on it just the other day. ☺️

Also, I have a zen habitat enclosure, and I drilled small holes into the side and use zip ties to secure my pots and branches.
What was it like drilling into this material? Would you be concerned if water got inside the holes it would be absorbed in the panel and cause problems?

What was it like drilling into this material? Would you be concerned if water got inside the holes it would be absorbed in the panel and cause problems?
It was very easy to drill through. I just went slow and stead to ensure I had no cracking. I had no trouble at all. I used a small drill bit just to leave enough room for the zip tie to fit. My pots are flush to the sides so I’m not worried about water damaging anything. However I definitely believe dragon strand ledges are a smarter option. Due to my circumstances I was in a tight spot and didn’t have time to wait for the ledges to ship to me. I had to act fast. In hind sight I wish I had time to wait for the ledges because it’s a safer and better option, in my opinion. And I am sure many other more experienced Cham owners agree on this forum just based on feedback I’ve received. But like I said, my situation was more or less a dire situation and I had to make changes and get them done quickly.

Ok thanks.

I'm doing some experimenting with putting water on the unsealed edges of the panels to see how they react. The more I look at the material that I showed in my picture, it doesn't seem to be particleboard or wood, but I can permanently dent it with my fingernail. It does seem so far like it might be a waterproof material and it is dense enough. Not "foamed pvc" from what I an tell.

One other minor piece of annoyance is that the panels don't fit tight in the channels on the square aluminum tubing, so I'm pretty certain there will be some shake and play to them once assembled.

On another note, I have already reached out to Zen about replacing the PVC floor panel with one of their aluminum screens as used in the top. They wouldn't replace it in the original enclosure kit I ordered, but they will sell a standalone screen as a part and I'm waiting on a price quote. If their price is too high I'll probably go have a custom screen made up to use on the top, and use the one reinforced aluminum screen that came as the top for the bottom. I know there was other discussion of interest in that possibility so I'll post an update when I get the quote from Zen.

Update: just heard back from Zen and their part--aluminum screen that is the top, but can used as a bottom--is only $33 shipped. So I'm definitely going to go that route and call this done!

Last edited:
Well I’m in the process now of making my own , thought I was going to get out cheaper . At this point I’m into my enclosure for over 2k and it started out with a $40 , off the Internet used curio cabinet. The good part is I have bragging rights of completely converting this into an amazing enclosure fully automated . But at the end of the day if I had to go back and do it again I most definitely would’ve Gone with the Tumura . I would’ve already had reptiles in it I’m going on over a month now of this build . Though it’s custom and has every amenity I needed my next enclosure will definitely be one from dale .. JMO 😊
Jesus 😳 can I just say that is coming out incredibly nice so far? I cannot wait to see this thing finished! Also still in complete agreement with you on Dale’s products. I’ve yet to come across any other commercially available enclosure as dialed in to cham needs as his are.

Ok thanks.

I'm doing some experimenting with putting water on the unsealed edges of the panels to see how they react. The more I look at the material that I showed in my picture, it doesn't seem to be particleboard or wood, but I can permanently dent it with my fingernail. It does seem so far like it might be a waterproof material and it is dense enough. Not "foamed pvc" from what I an tell.

One other minor piece of annoyance is that the panels don't fit tight in the channels on the square aluminum tubing, so I'm pretty certain there will be some shake and play to them once assembled.

On another note, I have already reached out to Zen about replacing the PVC floor panel with one of their aluminum screens as used in the top. They wouldn't replace it in the original enclosure kit I ordered, but they will sell a standalone screen as a part and I'm waiting on a price quote. If their price is too high I'll probably go have a custom screen made up to use on the top, and use the one reinforced aluminum screen that came as the top for the bottom. I know there was other discussion of interest in that possibility so I'll post an update when I get the quote from Zen.

Update: just heard back from Zen and their part--aluminum screen that is the top, but can used as a bottom--is only $33 shipped. So I'm definitely going to go that route and call this done!
I asked them about this same thing! I was told that because everything is manufactured overseas, they cannot offer any customizations. I’m a bit confused as to the response I got in contrast to what they’ve told you..? Maybe it was the way I asked. At any rate, definitely please let us know what they say when they get back to you!

I asked them about this same thing! I was told that because everything is manufactured overseas, they cannot offer any customizations. I’m a bit confused as to the response I got in contrast to what they’ve told you..? Maybe it was the way I asked. At any rate, definitely please let us know what they say when they get back to you!
You have to buy the 2x2 screen separate from them as a part. You're right, they wouldn't swap it out in an enclosure purchase for me either. They'll send it to their front office (may depend on if they have an extra one laying around or not) and they'll get back to you with a quote. They quoted me $20 + shipping and I got a fedex tracking number right away once I paypaled them.

@PlanetRemulak so I YouTubed “installing dragon strand ledges to hybrid cage”. I found the dragon strand channel installing it on their own hybrid cage. Now i saw someone saying they’re not exactly pvc sides, like my zen. But I figure it would still work the same! Here’s the link :

Thank you so much for the link! The cage walls may not be entirely PVC, but Zen Habitats are still an attractive option. As far as plant/vine/branch mounts go, it probably just makes more sense to buy DS ledges outright. Doing so will likely cost a lot less in the long run than it would to buy all the crap needed to make your own.

You have to buy the 2x2 screen separate from them as a part. You're right, they wouldn't swap it out in an enclosure purchase for me either. They'll send it to their front office (may depend on if they have an extra one laying around or not) and they'll get back to you with a quote. They quoted me $20 + shipping and I got a fedex tracking number right away once I paypaled them.
Do you have to reach out directly and ask to buy the 2 x 2 screen as a part? This time yesterday, I had kinda decided against going with Zen. This changes things for me again as it would be a lot easier to fit a screen into the bottom frame and seal it than it would be to add a drain, which I had originally planned on doing.

Last edited:

https://www.chameleonforums.com/search/1617494/?q="exactly+what+you+want"&c[users]=Klyde+O'Scope&o=relevance

I feel like expenses tend to spiral pretty fast when preparing for a new pet, most especially a reptile. For whatever it’s worth, I’ve seen pics of your beardie cage and tortie table. Both look great, and I think it’s fantastic that you have their environments set up to meet your own specific needs ✌🏻

DIY can be a beautiful thing when you actually know what you’re doing 😂

Back
Top Bottom