Modifying a Zen Habitats cage?

Link he posted was cheapest at time. Can get all you cuts done and just put together.

I haven't yet, but as I mentioned, there are several ways, depending on the particular egg crate (dimensions) and other variables. Here are just a couple:

The egg crate available where I am is 1/4" thick, which is the amount of space from the flange to the tube wall, with 5/8" grid.

Egg crate can be held in place either directly (fig.1) or indirectly (fig. 2) with sheet metal screws. In fig 1, I would use 3/4" O.D. or larger flat washers so the screw heads don't slip through the grid.

In fig. 2, small pieces of wood/plastic/metal (whatever's available) are screwed into the frame, holding the egg crate in place. These "holder" pieces can also run all the way across the egg crate, held on each side (similar to what I'm doing now).

View attachment 317826View attachment 317827

There are other methods, but these 2 should cover most situations (except the floor).
Another method has occurred to me that I'm mulling over incorporating into my plan.
Since the egg crate is the same thickness as the PVC (1/4"), one might install egg crate in into the channels in lieu of the PVC. The PVC can then be attached to the outsides of the flanges.

Sorry if I missed this but what's the total you all are estimating for diy-ing the zen design?

Ive been thinking on this too but thought it might be too close to the 400 for a zen. To minimize things going wrong I was thinking of framing a square tube door to go inside the top front and enclose an trimmed 1/4 clear acrylic sheet.

Overall it seems the most annoying part will be cutting the channels to 45 degrees where they join with the press fit connectors, and solving for the screen bits

Sorry if I missed this but what's the total you all are estimating for diy-ing the zen design?
It's been over a year since the last I priced it, and I've collected a couple more sources since then.

Ive been thinking on this too but thought it might be too close to the 400 for a zen.
IIRC, it was close, but still less. I decided against it at the time for health reasons, but I've been thinking about it again.

Overall it seems the most annoying part will be cutting the channels to 45 degrees where they join with the press fit connectors, and solving for the screen bits
Vendors who will cut to length will usually also cut miters for a charge (included in previous estimate).

It's 1$ a cut and 1$ to miter cut. I did my own cuts frist time paid them the second time. Straight cuts easy the miter cuts suck cause it's just the flange your cutting. Took about hour and half to do miter cuts

Thank you for confirming and acknowledging ..
Umm... I may have to retract my retraction. :oops:

Actually I have a buddy that bought one that’s where I’m getting my info ,, I did call and ask Actually and verify that it’s particleboard with a vinyl overlay and it only comes in bamboo 🤷🏽‍♂️ that’s the information I was given
What model enclosure was that? :unsure: Here's why...

Digging further still, I find that they indeed do offer a panel option in some models, e.g.:
https://www.zenhabitats.com/collect...enclosures/products/zen-habitat-w-wood-panels
has the MDF w/ bamboo laminate

https://www.zenhabitats.com/collect...losures/products/4x2x2-pvc-reptile-enclosures
has PVC panels

According to Zen's website, both vertical (48"H) enclosures come with PVC panels.

My brain hurts. 🤯 🤕

@Klyde O'Scope if I had any idea as to what I was doing, I’d go the route myself. That being said.. Zen says for sure they offer PVC enclosures? I feel like I’m missing something, here 😵‍💫 do they have different options for cage materials??

Last edited:
Thank you for confirming and acknowledging .. I never wanna give out that information but being in the construction industry I’m very familiar with Materials . The cost of PVC vinyl sheeting alone would exceed the cost of that cage . That’s why I would if I could afford it op for the tumara since it is 100% PVC panel . They’re incredible cages no doubt and maybe when I’m feeling a little cocky with a fat paycheck I may opt for one of those two as of now I’m building my own from scratch .. sadly I think I’ll end up spending just about as much 🤣🤣🤣 . I respect your opinion and don’t wanna lead anyone astray .. you’re a valued member here ..
In regards to you feeling especially brave after a fat paycheck 😂😂

I noticed Tamura offers a shop pay option in check out. The total would be split up over 4 payments. The longer I hem and haw over this, the more I realize Tamura has everything I want without having to figure out how to modify an already expensive cage myself. Sounds like your circumstances are different, though - you can make your own. I’ve said this before just now, but I guess I’ll repeat myself. I wish I was handy!

@Klyde O'Scope if I had any idea as to what I was doing, I’d go the route myself. That being said.. Zen says for sure they offer PVC enclosures? I feel like I’m missing something, here 😵‍💫 do they have different options for cage materials??
Some of that may have been confusion on my part; for that I apologize.

They do have panel options for some models; see prev. post #47. But as far as I can tell, both tall enclosures do have the PVC panels.
https://www.zenhabitats.com/collect...osures/products/2x2x4-pvc-reptile-enclosure-1
https://www.zenhabitats.com/collect...losures/products/4x2x4-pvc-reptile-enclosures

That said, it never hurts to ask & document via email.

Actually I have a buddy that bought one that’s where I’m getting my info ,, I did call and ask Actually and verify that it’s particleboard with a vinyl overlay and it only comes in bamboo 🤷🏽‍♂️ that’s the information I was given

I've done some more looking, and it appears you're correct.
  • The material description on their website now reads, "Composite PVC Panels". I don't recall the 'composite' but that makes a difference.
  • In the Questions area of an Amazon page, I found:

DIY it is. (y)
If I am to go off of the above information, “composite PVC panels” sounds like that is in fact MDF board with a bamboo veneer?

They do have panel options for some models; see prev. post #47. But as far as I can tell, both tall enclosures do have the PVC panels.
https://www.zenhabitats.com/collect...osures/products/2x2x4-pvc-reptile-enclosure-1
https://www.zenhabitats.com/collect...losures/products/4x2x4-pvc-reptile-enclosures

If that’s the case, both of the cages you linked to advertise “composite PVC panels“..Yep, I think I’ll definitely have to reach out and ask about this, haha.

Generally speaking, I am in a near-constant state of confusion. No apologies necessary 😂

Here was my question to Zen Habitats:
What exactly is composite PVC? I read (second hand) that your composite PVC cage walls consist of MDF board with a bamboo veneer? Is this accurate?

Here was the response from Zen:
Our PVC panels are a bamboo printed composite panel made from a proprietary blend of PVC foam, PVC film, and calcium.

What do y’all think? Sounds to me like this counts as actual PVC?

So zen doesn't sell solid pvc sides, their "composite pvc" is some kind of particleboard with a very think pvc vaneer. I kind of feel like I got got. How much would it cost me to diy knowing these panel types?

Attachments

• 20220127_183633.jpg
    20220127_183633.jpg
    71.8 KB · Views: 97
In regards to you feeling especially brave after a fat paycheck 😂😂

I noticed Tamura offers a shop pay option in check out. The total would be split up over 4 payments. The longer I hem and haw over this, the more I realize Tamura has everything I want without having to figure out how to modify an already expensive cage myself. Sounds like your circumstances are different, though - you can make your own. I’ve said this before just now, but I guess I’ll repeat myself. I wish I was handy!
I just left Dale’s shop today. There is no other caging company that is in comparison to his enclosure design. Hands down you can’t go wrong with his enclosure. As we talked and got to check out his beautiful Mellers among other chams, he’s enclosures are everything you need. No need for modification etc. Unlike all the other cages available to us. Your not only buying a enclosure your buying very nice piece of furniture they are absolutely amazing looking. Let me tell you first hand the pictures that are on his site don’t do them justice! They are way more amazing in person. So I would say stop wasting your time and throwing away money 💰 to try and make some other type of cage work for you.

I don’t know if it’s already been said but I am fairly confident you can install dragon strand ledges into the zen pvc walls. I watched a video on it just the other day. ☺️

Also, I have a zen habitat enclosure, and I drilled small holes into the side and use zip ties to secure my pots and branches.

I just left Dale’s shop today. There is no other caging company that is in comparison to his enclosure design. Hands down you can’t go wrong with his enclosure. As we talked and got to check out his beautiful Mellers among other chams, he’s enclosures are everything you need. No need for modification etc. Unlike all the other cages available to us. Your not only buying a enclosure your buying very nice piece of furniture they are absolutely amazing looking. Let me tell you first hand the pictures that are on his site don’t do them justice! They are way more amazing in person. So I would say stop wasting your time and throwing away money 💰 to try and make some other type of cage work for you.
I agree with this 100%. I definitely had my heart set on two new cages that I wouldn’t have to spend extra on just to get them usable. I also wonder how retrofitting your own features (like bottom drains) really hold up over time - I’ve already had to do that with my Reptibreeze! Not into spending more money just to have to do more of the same. The whole point of an upgrade is.. well, upgrading, lol.

Dale‘s cages offer a lot of already built-in features that take into consideration the specific needs of chameleon care. The only problem I’m having currently is that I can’t ever get in touch with him. :(
i was actually going to checkout with two 24 x 24 x 48’s in my cart on Tamura Designs, but it would appear he only has one available for direct purchase on his website at the moment. At this point, I’m waiting to see if he does a restock. I guess I could check out now and make a note in my purchase that I’d need a second one?

I don’t know if it’s already been said but I am fairly confident you can install dragon strand ledges into the zen pvc walls. I watched a video on it just the other day. ☺️

Also, I have a zen habitat enclosure, and I drilled small holes into the side and use zip ties to secure my pots and branches.
i was wondering about this! And anyway, why WOULDN’T they work on A Zen Habitats cage? Leave it to me to overthink! Would you happen to still have the link to the video you watched by chance?

Last edited:
So zen doesn't sell solid pvc sides, their "composite pvc" is some kind of particleboard with a very think pvc vaneer. I kind of feel like I got got. How much would it cost me to diy knowing these panel types?
That is definitely a bit disappointing. I mean, these cages aren’t exactly inexpensive! I‘m interested to see how they hold up to all the moisture and high night humidity. Like you said, you could have probably just DIY’d a cage that‘s more along the lines of what you personally would need.

Not quite, but they really confuse matters with their terminology.
Look at: https://www.zenhabitats.com/collections/zen-habitats-reptile-enclosures
If the description says "Wood Panel" then it's fiberboard/hardboard/masonite.
If the description says "PVC Panel" then it's PVC.
BOTH tall enclosures (those suitable for chameleons) are PVC.

How much would it cost to DIY? Assuming building exactly the same thing, less than buying.
The real advantage to DIY, IMO, is that you can get exactly what you want by working any mods into your design.

Back
Top Bottom