is she hungry?

zmb187

Well I've noticed that she is not eating like she used to,she used to run straight to her cup.She is rather same (4 to 5 inches without tail)and she is around 5 months old.I've been changing up her feeders from:crickets to supers and even silkies.I was feeding her everyday and read somewhere that they eat better if you go every other day,but that doesn't seem to be the case with her.I'll try the half gallon feeder idea and let you how that works out,but can she starve to death by not going to the avalible food?

Well I've noticed that she is not eating like she used to,she used to run straight to her cup.She is rather same (4 to 5 inches without tail)and she is around 5 months old.I've been changing up her feeders from:crickets to supers and even silkies.I was feeding her everyday and read somewhere that they eat better if you go every other day,but that doesn't seem to be the case with her.I'll try the half gallon feeder idea and let you how that works out,but can she starve to death by not going to the avalible food?

It will take a long time for her to starve to death. When chameleons are carrying eggs they can not eat for weeks.

She may be preparing for eggs. She may also just not be growing as fast anymore, thus not need as much.
But adding more variety to her diet wont hurt either way! :)

If you don't provide her with an appropriate place to dig in case she needs to lay eggs, she could die eggbound.

Signs that a female may be ready to lay eggs....roaming the cage, especially the bottom, drinking more than usual, eating less than usual, rounder in the back end, etc.....all of which are somewhat subtle and easily missed.

If you don't provide her with an appropriate place to dig in case she needs to lay eggs, she could die eggbound.

Signs that a female may be ready to lay eggs....roaming the cage, especially the bottom, drinking more than usual, eating less than usual, rounder in the back end, etc.....all of which are somewhat subtle and easily missed.

wow well is there a problem setting her up for laying if it turns out that she doesn't need to lay eggs?

What I do is put an opaque container that when empty is big enough for the female to fit into with a couple of inches to spare on all sides (including above and below her). I fill it about 2/3 full of moist washed playsand. This provides a place for her to dig without taking up the whole cage.

Some females will lay in this size container, but usually I move them to a larger container once they are intent on digging. I use a 65 liter rubbermaid container with a lid. I cut most of the lid out and put screen on the hole. I put playsand in the container and a branch...add the chameleon and put the screened lid on. I place a light over the screen...being careful not to overheat the container.

I think everyone gets nervous when their chameleon is likely to lay eggs! If your husbandry is good and the chameleon is healthy and you provide her an appropriate place to dig in time, she should get through it well.

I have kept veileds for many years and I seem to be able to prevent them from laying any. You can read about it here...
http://raisingkittytheveiledchameleon.blogspot.com/

Back
Top Bottom