Veiled chameleon help

leeann0225

• Your Chameleon - Veiled Chameleon, Male, 1.5 years . Has been in my care for almost 1.5 years.
  • Handling - I usually handle my chameleon about every 2 weeks sometimes more sometimes less
  • Feeding - I feed my chameleon a range between crickets, mealworms, dubia roaches. What amount? Depends on the size but I give her about 3-5 bugs everyday. What is the schedule? I feed him a couple in the morning a little while after lights are turned on. are you gut-loading your feeders? I gut load with carrots, collard greens and I have put some fruit before too like blueberries but not sure how beneficial that is it’s just all i had.
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule? I use the rep-cal phosphorus free calcium with vitamin D, ultrafine powder that i got recently and not im thinking that was a mistake too because i need one without vitamin d i think? before that i was using just calcium powder about every other feed and now ive only gave her this new powder like one since she stopped eating about a week after getting it
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? I use a dropper as well as I manually mist. How often and how long to you mist? About 3-4 times a day for 5-7 minutes Do you see your chameleon drinking? Yes even now that she’s sick she still seems to drink as least a little bit
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Brown with white/yellow .Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites? No but she has a vet appointment on friday
  • History - She has had eye issues where one of her eyes seemed swollen and sometimes would be shut since i got her so I tried to treat it with vitamin a drops I don’t know if that could’ve made things worse
  • Cage Type - It is a screen cage and it’s 16x16x30
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? For heating Im using zoo med heat lamp and bulb and I think the brand of the uvb one is zilla the tropical one and the wattage is 15 but i really need help with that i’ve gotten so many different answers on what brands and wattage to use so please let me know what’s best i know what i have now couldn’t be right. What is your daily lighting schedule? and 12 hours of heat and uvb and 12 hours off
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? I aimed for 75-85 and my thermometer just recently broke so i can’t check right now but Lowest overnight temp? I would say high 60s low 70s How do you measure these temps? Well i was using my thermometer in the cage
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity? I’m really unsure of how do measure or check that
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind? I have one rubber plant
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? In my room. Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? I sometimes have a fan in my window during the summer but not at all now. At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor? About 5 feet above the floor
  • Location - Where are you geographically located? Washington state, US
My current problem is that he cant even open his eyes to eat and is constantly sitting in the same spot. Going to vet on friday. Will attach pictures of him.

Won’t let me attach a picture as file for some reason so just replying with one, another thing i forgot to mention is i’ve been thinking maybe it’s a respiratory infection since he’s sitting so straight up but idk

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    209.2 KB · Views: 23
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    212.4 KB · Views: 21
Ok so I’m gonna let some more experienced keepers to do a full husbandry review. But I do see a couple issues that could be causing your guy eye issues. The main one being lighting and supplements. He needs plain calcium without D3 at every feeding. In addition to that, he needs a multivitamin with D3 only twice a month (I do the 1st and 15th). There are some other things that need to be changed, but these two are the biggest. Chams need vitamin A, and if you have only been giving calcium with d3, he’s getting no vitamin A and too much d3.

As for the light, he needs a linear UVB light so that he can process all those vitamins and minerals correctly.

These two things can certainly have caused eye issues. I’m not a vet, so I can not say for sure this is the cause, but it definitely is not helping.

Pointing his head up is a sign of respitory problems. Have you heard any popping, or squeaking noises? Any thick stringy saliva?

If you like, I can give you an amazon link for a relatively inexpensive UVB on Amazon (like $50 ish) and a good multivitamin (about. $15). I know you said money is tight right now. I totally get that. But these are very important for your guy to get ASAP.

Thank you so much for the quick and such helpful reply i would love the link!! and i will order as soon as possible. i can’t express how thankful i am to have people here to help tell me what i need to improve, this forum has helped me so much and i truly do just want the best for my cham. again thank you i appreciate that you also took the finances into consideration it means a lot to me, i promise i will get him what he needs.

Ok so I’m gonna let some more experienced keepers to do a full husbandry review. But I do see a couple issues that could be causing your guy eye issues. The main one being lighting and supplements. He needs plain calcium without D3 at every feeding. In addition to that, he needs a multivitamin with D3 only twice a month (I do the 1st and 15th). There are some other things that need to be changed, but these two are the biggest. Chams need vitamin A, and if you have only been giving calcium with d3, he’s getting no vitamin A and too much d3.

As for the light, he needs a linear UVB light so that he can process all those vitamins and minerals correctly.

These two things can certainly have caused eye issues. I’m not a vet, so I can not say for sure this is the cause, but it definitely is not helping.

Pointing his head up is a sign of respitory problems. Have you heard any popping, or squeaking noises? Any thick stringy saliva?

If you like, I can give you an amazon link for a relatively inexpensive UVB on Amazon (like $50 ish) and a good multivitamin (about. $15). I know you said money is tight right now. I totally get that. But these are very important for your guy to get ASAP.
oh and i totally forgot to answer the other question i apologize 🤦‍♀️ i haven’t noticed any noises besides when she’s drinking and she opens her mouth she let out a short kinda squeaky noise, only happened maybe 2-3 but still worth mentioning and pretty concerning considering her other symptoms.

No problem! I’m not an expert, like I said. I’m sure someone will be along soon that can fully go over your husbandry. I’ve learned a lot here and received so much help. So I know what you mean. My guy was very sick about a year ago and everyone here helped me a ton! And the finances…oh my gosh I know! The way things keep going up, it’s a battle.

Light:
REPTI ZOO 24W Reptile T5 HO UVB Lighting Combo Kit, 22" Light Fixture Reptile Terrarium Hood, with Detachable Curved Reflector and 5.0 UVB T5 Lamp Bulb, ETL certificated https://a.co/d/gvVVrTA

Multivitamin:
Repashy Calcium Plus LoD 3 Oz JAR https://a.co/d/7HVvXqp

oh and i totally forgot to answer the other question i apologize 🤦‍♀️ i haven’t noticed any noises besides when she’s drinking and she opens her mouth she let out a short kinda squeaky noise, only happened maybe 2-3 but still worth mentioning and pretty concerning considering her other symptoms.
So I wouldn’t rule out a respiratory infection. I’ve never dealt with one before, but I’ve read that those are symptoms.

No problem! I’m not an expert, like I said. I’m sure someone will be along soon that can fully go over your husbandry. I’ve learned a lot here and received so much help. So I know what you mean. My guy was very sick about a year ago and everyone here helped me a ton! And the finances…oh my gosh I know! The way things keep going up, it’s a battle.

Light:
REPTI ZOO 24W Reptile T5 HO UVB Lighting Combo Kit, 22" Light Fixture Reptile Terrarium Hood, with Detachable Curved Reflector and 5.0 UVB T5 Lamp Bulb, ETL certificated https://a.co/d/gvVVrTA

Multivitamin:
Repashy Calcium Plus LoD 3 Oz JAR https://a.co/d/7HVvXqp.
Thank you so much for the links as well as the time you’ve spent reading/replying to help me out it truly means a lot hopefully one day i’ll have enough knowledge and experience to be able to pay it back like you have with me. I will definitely update with any changes or at least after his vet appointment on friday and definitely will mention my concerns of respiratory infection.

I talk a lot, so am breaking this into two parts. :) You’ve already gotten some great feedback from others. To keep my brain on track, I’ll be repeating what has already been said…sorry.
  • Your Chameleon - Veiled Chameleon, Male, 1.5 years . Has been in my care for almost 1.5 years. Handsome guy
  • Handling - I usually handle my chameleon about every 2 weeks sometimes more sometimes less Ok
  • Feeding - I feed my chameleon a range between crickets, mealworms, dubia roaches. What amount? Depends on the size but I give her about 3-5 bugs everyday. For feeding him daily, he looks a bit thin. Usually I’d tell you that he’s old enough to decrease to feeding him every other day or three days a week. Instead I want you stop the mealworms and add other feeders like silkworms, bsfl and treats of superworms. Superworms and wax worms are very fatty and will make great treats in moderation to help put a little bulk on your guy. What is the schedule? I feed him a couple in the morning a little while after lights are turned on. are you gut-loading your feeders? I gut load with carrots, collard greens and I have put some fruit before too like blueberries but not sure how beneficial that is it’s just all i had. You’re on the right track. It’s about more than just keeping the feeders alive. You need to keep them well fed so that they’re healthy and then will be more nutritious for your guy. Attaching some graphics below to help guide you.
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule? I use the rep-cal phosphorus free calcium with vitamin D, ultrafine powder that i got recently and not im thinking that was a mistake too because i need one without vitamin d i think? before that i was using just calcium powder about every other feed and now ive only gave her this new powder like one since she stopped eating about a week after getting it You need a phosphorus free calcium without D3 to lightly dust every feeding with (except those when you’ll be using a different supplement). I know you said $$ is tight, but since you’ll be needing to buy a good multivitamin anyhow, I’m going to suggest getting Repashy calcium plus LoD which will take the place of the calcium with D3 and be a multivitamin. You’ll give this one feeding every other week. Make sure to put the calcium with D3 aside so you don’t accidentally use it. It’s wasteful, I know, but you really don’t need it and could/should get rid of it.
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? I use a dropper as well as I manually mist. How often and how long to you mist? About 3-4 times a day for 5-7 minutes That’s too frequent. You want to mist only twice daily for at least 2 minutes right before lights go on and off. If needed, at mid day you could use the dripper for 15-20 minutes or add a shorter 1 minute misting Do you see your chameleon drinking? Yes even now that she’s sick she still seems to drink as least a little bit
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Brown with white/yellow .Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites? No but she has a vet appointment on friday Definitely make sure to take a fresh poo for testing
  • History - She has had eye issues where one of her eyes seemed swollen and sometimes would be shut since i got her so I tried to treat it with vitamin a drops I don’t know if that could’ve made things worse He hasn’t been getting multivitamins, so most likely he does have a vitamin A deficiency. However, there are two types of vitamin A - proformed which is like beta carotene and we aren’t sure if chameleons are able to utilize this form properly/at all — then there is preformed, which is retinol and we know they can use it. However, the preformed is a fat soluble vitamin which it takes the body more time to process and eliminate. If not given cautiously, it can build up in the body (much like the fat soluble vitamin D3 can) and cause health issues and even reach toxic levels. This is the form which is in the suggested multivitamin supplement and when given properly, with some time your guys eyes should improve. Your vet may give him some vitamin A to get things started. Aside from that and if your vet finds a different problem with his eyes, it will just be a waiting game of allowing natural healing to happen. Once he gets the multivitamin and A, you should see some improvement within a week or two, but it may take some months for full healing.
  • IMG_0151.jpeg

IMG_1188.jpeg

• Cage Type - It is a screen cage and it’s 16x16x30 Afraid he needs a much bigger 2x2x4’ or equivalent. While it would still be lacking the needed depth, you could probably get away with attaching another of the same size enclosure which would give him more width. If you aren’t able to get the larger enclosure, this would be better than nothing. I don’t get as fancy as he does here, but this will help guide you. https://chameleonacademy.com/double-wide-chameleon-cage-project/
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? For heating Im using zoo med heat lamp and bulb and I think the brand of the uvb one is zilla the tropical one and the wattage is 15 but i really need help with that i’ve gotten so many different answers on what brands and wattage to use so please let me know what’s best i know what i have now couldn’t be right. You need a linear T5HO fixture with either a ReptiSun 5.0 or Arcadia 6% uvb bulb. I am aware that there is a less expensive brand (ReptiZoo), but their quality has not been determined yet, so avoid them. The uvb light needs to be long enough to span the width of your enclosure. You definitely want to get at least the 24” light. Once you get it, then the basking area needs to be about 8-9” below the uvb for optimal uvb levels. What is your daily lighting schedule? and 12 hours of heat and uvb and 12 hours off perfect
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? I aimed for 75-85 Basking temp for an adult male veiled is around 85 but no hotter and my thermometer just recently broke so i can’t check right now (sounds like you’re having my kind of luck 😞) You’ll need a new one and I suggest getting a digital one with a probe end and one which also measures humidity but Lowest overnight temp? I would say high 60s low 70s Yes - you want a good cooling off at night How do you measure these temps? Well i was using my thermometer in the cage
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity? I’m really unsure of how do measure or check that See above. It’s important to know what your humidity is. If too high, combined with the heat of the day it increases risk for respiratory infection, which is already a concern. Ideal range during the day is between 30-50%.
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind? I have one rubber plant Definitely need more. Pothos is awesome for chameleons and our veiled friends find it tasty to nibble on. It’s also a super common plant and so many people have it (or its cousin philodendron, which can also be used). Ask for some clippings to start your own plants. Sit them in water until roots develop and then plant in organic soil. From there, you can continue to ‘make’ your own new plants. Tradescantia zebrina is another common plant that is super easy to start from clippings in the same way. None of these will need a special plant light, which is another reason I’m suggesting them. Do remove any and all fake plants. I attach mine to the outside of my enclosures to give my chams some additional privacy from me.
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? In my room. Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? I sometimes have a fan in my window during the summer but not at all now. At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor? About 5 feet above the floor Ok. Height is safety for chams, so the higher you can get him, the better he’ll like it.
My current problem is that he cant even open his eyes to eat and is constantly sitting in the same spot. Going to vet on friday. Will attach pictures of him.
So, from looking at all of the information which you gave, and keeping in mind that I’m not a vet, I’m going to say that the biggest contributors to your guy not feeling well is improper supplements and lack of multivitamins, lack of proper (possibly any) uvb levels and I suspect parasites or something else which is making him so thin. Humidity being too high woild be the contributing factor if he has a respiratory infection. I’m so very glad that you have a vet appointment. Do make sure to be completely honest and share the errors of supplements and uvb that I’ve pointed out to give the vet a complete picture.
I know I’ve given you a lot of changes to make (= things to buy) and times are tough. The things which are priority and can not wait are supplements and uvb. After that is plants and thermometer/hygrometer.
Some ways to save $$ include starting plants from clippings you get from friends and family, starting a small dubia colony and breeding your own, scavenging for branches instead of buying vines (avoid sappy and stinky trees like pine, eucalyptus, etc), checking Facebook marketplace, NextDoor app and Craig’s list for gently used enclosure, uvb fixture, etc. (always be mindful of personal safety & take precautions). If your vet suggests giving your guy liquid nutrition, like critical care, carnivore care, etc. it is less expensive to buy ReptaBoost which is available from most local pet stores. Your vet is your partner in getting your guy healthy and can tell you if this is a good option or not.
I do hope you’ll keep us posted, keep asking questions and share with us your guy’s healing progress and your progress and growth in making the needed changes. Everyone here has their own unique experiences and we all enjoy helping each other out, so don’t be shy if you need some advice about how to do something or whatever.
:)

I was just reading over @MissSkittles review. I was unaware that the reptizoo brand was not recommended. That is the brand that I previously linked you. BUT I found the reptiSUN brand on chewy.com for about $60. Plus they have a $20 coupon for new customers right now so that makes it even cheaper than the reptizoo!

https://www.chewy.com/zoo-med-reptisun-t5-ho-high-output/dp/257663
To the best of my knowledge, it hasn’t been tested to be proven yet. @Beman may know if it’s ok or not.

It is just newer and has not been actively used within our hobby. Reptisun and Arcadia are the two that are used within the hobby. I personally have never tested the reptizoo with a solarmeter and would not know how they compare. I just choose to go with what is known to for sure work rather than newer on the market.

• Cage Type - It is a screen cage and it’s 16x16x30 Afraid he needs a much bigger 2x2x4’ or equivalent. While it would still be lacking the needed depth, you could probably get away with attaching another of the same size enclosure which would give him more width. If you aren’t able to get the larger enclosure, this would be better than nothing. I don’t get as fancy as he does here, but this will help guide you. https://chameleonacademy.com/double-wide-chameleon-cage-project/
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? For heating Im using zoo med heat lamp and bulb and I think the brand of the uvb one is zilla the tropical one and the wattage is 15 but i really need help with that i’ve gotten so many different answers on what brands and wattage to use so please let me know what’s best i know what i have now couldn’t be right. You need a linear T5HO fixture with either a ReptiSun 5.0 or Arcadia 6% uvb bulb. I am aware that there is a less expensive brand (ReptiZoo), but their quality has not been determined yet, so avoid them. The uvb light needs to be long enough to span the width of your enclosure. You definitely want to get at least the 24” light. Once you get it, then the basking area needs to be about 8-9” below the uvb for optimal uvb levels. What is your daily lighting schedule? and 12 hours of heat and uvb and 12 hours off perfect
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? I aimed for 75-85 Basking temp for an adult male veiled is around 85 but no hotter and my thermometer just recently broke so i can’t check right now (sounds like you’re having my kind of luck 😞) You’ll need a new one and I suggest getting a digital one with a probe end and one which also measures humidity but Lowest overnight temp? I would say high 60s low 70s Yes - you want a good cooling off at night How do you measure these temps? Well i was using my thermometer in the cage
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity? I’m really unsure of how do measure or check that See above. It’s important to know what your humidity is. If too high, combined with the heat of the day it increases risk for respiratory infection, which is already a concern. Ideal range during the day is between 30-50%.
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind? I have one rubber plant Definitely need more. Pothos is awesome for chameleons and our veiled friends find it tasty to nibble on. It’s also a super common plant and so many people have it (or its cousin philodendron, which can also be used). Ask for some clippings to start your own plants. Sit them in water until roots develop and then plant in organic soil. From there, you can continue to ‘make’ your own new plants. Tradescantia zebrina is another common plant that is super easy to start from clippings in the same way. None of these will need a special plant light, which is another reason I’m suggesting them. Do remove any and all fake plants. I attach mine to the outside of my enclosures to give my chams some additional privacy from me.
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? In my room. Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? I sometimes have a fan in my window during the summer but not at all now. At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor? About 5 feet above the floor Ok. Height is safety for chams, so the higher you can get him, the better he’ll like it.
So, from looking at all of the information which you gave, and keeping in mind that I’m not a vet, I’m going to say that the biggest contributors to your guy not feeling well is improper supplements and lack of multivitamins, lack of proper (possibly any) uvb levels and I suspect parasites or something else which is making him so thin. Humidity being too high woild be the contributing factor if he has a respiratory infection. I’m so very glad that you have a vet appointment. Do make sure to be completely honest and share the errors of supplements and uvb that I’ve pointed out to give the vet a complete picture.
I know I’ve given you a lot of changes to make (= things to buy) and times are tough. The things which are priority and can not wait are supplements and uvb. After that is plants and thermometer/hygrometer.
Some ways to save $$ include starting plants from clippings you get from friends and family, starting a small dubia colony and breeding your own, scavenging for branches instead of buying vines (avoid sappy and stinky trees like pine, eucalyptus, etc), checking Facebook marketplace, NextDoor app and Craig’s list for gently used enclosure, uvb fixture, etc. (always be mindful of personal safety & take precautions). If your vet suggests giving your guy liquid nutrition, like critical care, carnivore care, etc. it is less expensive to buy ReptaBoost which is available from most local pet stores. Your vet is your partner in getting your guy healthy and can tell you if this is a good option or not.
I do hope you’ll keep us posted, keep asking questions and share with us your guy’s healing progress and your progress and growth in making the needed changes. Everyone here has their own unique experiences and we all enjoy helping each other out, so don’t be shy if you need some advice about how to do something or whatever.
:)
I truly appreciate you taking the time to write this out and do all of this to help mi’m so glad to hear that this is something i can fix i will do everything i need for him regardless of price i really appreciate all the helpful tips and words of advice along with the clear corrections that i need to make i wish so badly i knew all of this before even ever getting him but definitely i will correct the mistakes ive been making and try my best to get him as healthy as he can be. again thank you so much for you time and knowledge, Kiwi means so much to me and i want her care and health to reflect that. will update after vet tomorrow as well with the change of routines and when i get new lights, vitamins, feeders, cage etc

Back
Top Bottom