help!!!! sick panther

coultrain

hello i have a 2 month old panther chameleon and there seems to be a wierd water filled sack coming from its butt area. last night it looked like a little water filled sack so i thought the chameleon was going too the bathroom but when i woke up this morning it grew and know the cham isnt moving much and is keeping his eyes closed and there seems to be tiny vains around the sack.please help!!!!

It sounds like a prolapse to me. Search through this forum about prolapse's I am sure there are quite a few threads. I want to also recommend finding a good vet in your area...they come in handy! Good luck!

If it is a hemipene prolapse get some lukewarm water or ky on it immediately so it doesn't dry out.. you could try getting it back in your self with a ky coated Que-tip and gently trying to push it back in.. id schedule a vet appointment asap!
any pics?

Last edited:
Howdy Colton,

A cloacal prolapse is a pretty serious situation with any chameleon and with a 2 month-old, even more so :(. If you can get to a vet, now is the time to do it. While you find a vet, you can coat the tissue with a product like K-Y jelly. You'll find it at typical pharmacies, often sell generic versions as a "personal lubricant". These products will help the tissue retain moisture on your way to the Vet. I keep a small bottle of it in my "chameleon emergency kit".

It may be possible for you to re-insert the exposed prolapsed tissue back into his vent yourself but the risk of added injury is very high, especially with a chameleon that young/small. See if you can find a Vet :eek:.

Last edited:
:(hi i cant get to a vet till monday. do you think my panther can survive that long. thanks for all your help.

Its hard to say if it will make it or not. Its unlikely that it can poop while its like this and you have the problem of keeping the tissue that is sticking out from drying out and dying.

If you soak it in sugar water it might help the swelling go down and the prolapse to go back in.

Here's an article on hemipene prolapses for which the treatment is similar...
http://www.adcham.com/html/veterinary/vet-hemipenal-pare.html

Its hard to say if it will make it or not. Its unlikely that it can poop while its like this and you have the problem of keeping the tissue that is sticking out from drying out and dying.

If you soak it in sugar water it might help the swelling go down and the prolapse to go back in.

Here's an article on hemipene prolapses for which the treatment is similar...
http://www.adcham.com/html/veterinary/vet-hemipenal-pare.html

how often should i treat it with sugar water? thanks for all the feedback

Howdy Colton,

The idea with the sugar-water soaking to get the tissue to shrink; assuming that it is swollen in the first place, so that it can be more easily put back inside him. It is a matter of how long you soak it rather than how many times you soak. It will either work or not with the first attempt. Try soaking while carefully noting if there is any shrinkage. Be sure to use water that is kept at a neutral temperature (80F-85F) relative to the chameleon's body temp. I'll bet that if it is going to have an effect, it should happen within 30 minutes or less.

Dont use vaseline. Instead use Ky or sucrose or sugar water, maybe with some plastic wrap around the area, if you chameleon isnt moving much now. It has to stay moist or the tissue will die. Sometimes if the prolapse isnt too bad you might be able to ease things back in, but by now its likely swollen and so I wouldnt try this myself - must get to a vet ASAP.
Heres a website that talks about prolapses http://images.google.ca/imgres?imgu...mages?q=cloacal+prolapse+chameleon&um=1&hl=en

thank you all so much for all this info ill try my hardest to keep the prolapse moist. i just soaked it in sugar water i hope it will go back in. i love this guy so much i cant bare to think of him passing because of this . i hope he gets better.

since putting the sugar water on it it seems to have gone down, but not fully gone in is that ok.
Howdy Colton,

We can only guess at what things are looking like at the moment. If you can "manipulate" what is still in a prolapsed condition and get it to finish going back inside then you might as well try - carefully.

Photos of all of this would be useful :eek:.

sorry my camera is down but im trying to fix so you guys ca see what is happening i should have some photos in about a hour.

heres a pic sorry that is kind of blurry.
Picture004.jpg

IMHO...if it hasn't gone all the way back in you still need to see a vet. Even if it has gone all the way back in, its quite likely that it will happen again.

Back
Top Bottom