Help I have a Stressed or Sick Chameleon

AmourMeech

Hi so recently I’ve got a chameleon on Monday and at first she seemed fine and was getting used to us but I realized she kept closing her eyes during the day and they stood closed, (also she was shedding) but then she just got worse and worse each day she’s not moving at much she’s not eating and she’s not opening her eyes at all. And I personally think she’s very sick but my family is telling me she’s just stress but this doesn’t look like stress to me, she’s VERY skinny from not eating and her eyes are closed all times of the day. And I begged and begged my family to take her to a vet but they don’t want too cause “moneys too tight” and “it’ll pass she’s just stressed” so I guess a vet is a no but is there anyone who’s experiencing this and know what to do? Or what medication I can’t give her?? (And she keeps turning brown)

Attachments

• IMG_4665.jpeg
    IMG_4665.jpeg
    91.4 KB · Views: 47
  • 71458924215__EBE5BFD3-B664-45E2-A527-4AAA9F81CE4E.jpeg
    71458924215__EBE5BFD3-B664-45E2-A527-4AAA9F81CE4E.jpeg
    201.7 KB · Views: 42
  • IMG_4680.jpeg
    IMG_4680.jpeg
    201.1 KB · Views: 45
  • IMG_4701.jpeg
    IMG_4701.jpeg
    147.7 KB · Views: 41
  • IMG_4703.jpeg
    IMG_4703.jpeg
    158.5 KB · Views: 45
I’m not experienced enough to give advice on what is wrong, but closing their eyes during the day is not a good sign. It does take about two weeks for them to get used to a new environment, and closing eyes can be a sign of stress, but it looks like your little gal has something else going on. I would really recommend seeing a vet. Some will take payments.

If you are willing to do a husbandry review, it might help pin down what is wrong and if anything can be done. Copy and paste the form below and fill it in with as much detail as you can. I’ll tag a couple people that have more experience than me. @MissSkittles @Beman

Chameleon Info:

• Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:

• Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
  • Location - Where are you geographically located?

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.

--------------

Please Note:

1. The more details you provide the better and more accurate help you will receive.
  2. Photos can be very helpful.

Yes baby is not doing well. Fill out the form above and lets see what we can do to help you. If eyes are closed that could be a few things, but keep in mind that she may need a vet as well.

Hi and welcome. I’m so sorry your pretty little girl isn’t doing so well. Having eyes closed during daylight is not stress in this situation, but is a serious sign that something is wrong. If you provide us with as many of the above questions answered, including pics of your entire enclosure, lights and supplements and include where you got her from, we can hopefully help you to get your little sweetie healthy. The more info you can provide about the conditions she was in before you got her, the better we can figure out what the problem may be and how to correct it. I’m very glad that you’re here and looking forward to seeing your sweet little cham get better. :)

This baby is declining... Can you post pics of the entire enclosure including the lights on top please and fill out the husbandry form by copying it and then pasting it into your reply.

Back
Top Bottom