Sick or dying? Please help

When I woke up today I noticed my chameleon was very off. He fell asleep last night on his upper branch so when his misting system went off this morning he was getting hit with the water which he usually hates. So about 20 minutes after his misting went off he was laying on his side in his plant and just looked weird. I picked him up and put him under his heat lamp and he did not look good. His eyes are not focusing on much they move slowly however I have not seen him sleeping during the day or having his eyes closed at all. His colors are lighter than usual. I tried to give him some bugs but he was not interested. I don’t know if he was just stressed from the misting and putting him under his light but he always wants food. The past 2 days he was restless in his enclosure and was grabbing the top of his cage. These past 2 nights he also hasn’t curled up his tail when he sleeps he just has hit wrapped around some leaves.

I’m going to take him to the vet Monday and see what they think. But if someone could just let me know what might be going on with him that would be great.

He is 3 1/2 years old. So I know he’s getting to the iffy years of his life.
IMG_0910.png

This was him when I found him. I was holding him up to check if he was even alive.
IMG_0906.jpeg

This was him after I put him in his basking branch

IMG_0909.jpeg

This was him after I came back a few minutes later to check on him

Hello! Based on how he is looking I would not wait until Monday to get him to the vet. If he is already not eating and drinking by Monday he will be far weaker than he is now which gives him less of a chance to recover. His casque is pretty sunken in as well. Have you noticed any behavior changes before today by chance?

If you are open to it, lets do a husbandry review to see if we can find anything there to give us some idea of what may be going on.

Chameleon Info:

• Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with, and what is the schedule?
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long do you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high-traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
  • Location - Where are you geographically located?

Current Problem -

Hello! Based on how he is looking I would not wait until Monday to get him to the vet. If he is already not eating and drinking by Monday he will be far weaker than he is now which gives him less of a chance to recover. His casque is pretty sunken in as well. Have you noticed any behavior changes before today by chance?

If you are open to it, lets do a husbandry review to see if we can find anything there to give us some idea of what may be going on.

Chameleon Info:

• Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with, and what is the schedule?
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long do you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high-traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
  • Location - Where are you geographically located?

Current Problem -
i wish I didn’t have to wait but the vet is not open on the weekends. And I am unable to be home today anyway. I’ll find an Emergency reptile vet and take him Sunday. But yeah I mentioned I noticed him being restless the past 2 days and trying to grab the top of his cage. I feed him every other day and fed him Thursday and he ate, today was supposed to be his next scheduled feeding but he wasn’t interested this morning. Before I left I threw some crickets in his cage just incase. He hasn’t curled his tail to sleep these past 2 nights. He hangs out in his basking spot a lot I have not noticed him hangout out on his low branches. But today he looked lighter than usual and slower.
Chameleon Info:

• Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care? Panther chameleon male 3 1/2 years old. In my care for 3 years
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon? Not often. He comes out of his cage when he wants to and I put him back if he doesn’t get to it himself.
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders? 4-5 feeders every other day. Crickets, super worms, silk worms, horn worms, caci worms. Gut loaded with carrots
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with, and what is the schedule? Repti Calcium with d3 bi weekly. Reptivite vitamin without d3 biweekly. Repti Calcium without d3 all other feedings
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long do you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking? Dripper and misting system. He’ll also drink from a spray bottle and I see him drink. Last I saw him drink was Thursday. Misting 2x a day for 3 min
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites? White and brown however the brown was not encased like it usually is in his droppings on Friday. He has been tested for parasites 2 years ago

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions? Screen 2x2x4
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule? 12 hours on 12 hours off. Basking light 50watts zoo-med. and I have a t5ho linear ubv light 0.5
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps? basking is around 80 bottom of cage now that’s it’s colder out is 69-71
  • Lowest over night temp: 65
  • Measure with thermometer gun and In cage thermometers
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity? 50% during the day 60% at night. Create with misting system and measure with humidistat in cage
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind? Pothos. I need to get him another plant cause his other ones keep getting over watered and dying
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high-traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor? In my room which is low traffic I’m usually out most of the day. His cage is up in a table
  • Location - Where are you geographically located? East coast- northern

Last edited:
i wish I didn’t have to wait but the vet is not open on the weekends. And I am unable to be home today anyway. I’ll find an Emergency reptile vet and take him Sunday. But yeah I mentioned I noticed him being restless the past 2 days and trying to grab the top of his cage. I feed him every other day and fed him Thursday and he ate, today was supposed to be his next scheduled feeding but he wasn’t interested this morning. Before I left I threw some crickets in his cage just incase. He hasn’t curled his tail to sleep these past 2 nights. He hangs out in his basking spot a lot I have not noticed him hangout out on his low branches. But today he looked lighter than usual and slower.
Chameleon Info:

• Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care? Panther chameleon male 3 1/2 years old. In my care for 3 years
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon? Not often. He comes out of his cage when he wants to and I put him back if he doesn’t get to it himself.
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders? 4-5 feeders every other day. Crickets, super worms, silk worms, horn worms, caci worms. Gut loaded with carrots
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with, and what is the schedule? Repti Calcium with d3 bi weekly. Reptivite vitamin without d3 biweekly. Repti Calcium without d3 all other feedings
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long do you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking? Dripper and misting system. He’ll also drink from a spray bottle and I see him drink. Last I saw him drink was Thursday. Misting 2x a day for 3 min
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites? White and brown however the brown was not encased like it usually is in his droppings on Friday. He has been tested for parasites 2 years ago

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions? Screen 2x2x4
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule? 12 hours on 12 hours off. Basking light 50watts zoo-med. and I have a t5ho linear ubv light 0.5
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps? basking is around 80 bottom of cage now that’s it’s colder out is 69-71
  • Lowest over night temp: 65
  • Measure with thermometer gun and In cage thermometers
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity? 50% during the day 60% at night. Create with misting system and measure with humidistat in cage
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind? Pothos. I need to get him another plant cause his other ones keep getting over watered and dying
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high-traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor? In my room which is low traffic I’m usually out most of the day. His cage is up in a table
  • Location - Where are you geographically located? East coast- northern
Hey there nothing in your actual husbandry stands out as an issue.

Have you replaced the T5 bulb lately?

IMO he does not look good. Casque is more concave then it should be and eyes are sitting in a bit more then they should. My concern would be possibly a parasite issue or illness.

Really double check your ambient temps. With the change in season this can mess up their ambients quite a bit. It can make them slower and take longer to warm up.

Hey there nothing in your actual husbandry stands out as an issue.

Have you replaced the T5 bulb lately?

IMO he does not look good. Casque is more concave then it should be and eyes are sitting in a bit more then they should. My concern would be possibly a parasite issue or illness.

Really double check your ambient temps. With the change in season this can mess up their ambients quite a bit. It can make them slower and take longer to warm up.
In a few days the T5 will be due for a replacement.

Yeah he’s just looking bad. I hope he has something treatable and isn’t coming to the end.

I try to keep my room warm with a heater but this looks like something more than him just being cold honestly.

In a few days the T5 will be due for a replacement.

Yeah he’s just looking bad. I hope he has something treatable and isn’t coming to the end.

I try to keep my room warm with a heater but this looks like something more than him just being cold honestly.
So my concern is illness. You will see this reduction in the casque, cheeks, and then the eye turrets when they are sick. Sick can be anything from RI to parasite issue. But he does look to be declining. I would get him into a reptile vet on Monday if that is the soonest that they are open. Try to get a fecal sample. Make sure you have a dripper running during the day to give him lots of opportunity to drink.

So my concern is illness. You will see this reduction in the casque, cheeks, and then the eye turrets when they are sick. Sick can be anything from RI to parasite issue. But he does look to be declining. I would get him into a reptile vet on Monday if that is the soonest that they are open. Try to get a fecal sample. Make sure you have a dripper running during the day to give him lots of opportunity to drink.
Ok thank you for your input. I am trying to find a vet or hospital open on Sundays with an exotic doctor and am having no luck even with places an hour and a half away. 😭
I left him with his dripper on and some crickets in his cage incase he wants to eat.

If he has an illness do you think he’d be able to bounce back with proper treatment?

Read through the comments there are a few changes I think I would make, I would replace the Repti Calcium and Reptivite with Repashy Calcium Plus LoD. IMO a fogger is a must for nighttime humidity (60%) is low. And as you mentioned a new uvb bulb. Do you have a full enclosure picture that you can post ?

Ok thank you for your input. I am trying to find a vet or hospital open on Sundays with an exotic doctor and am having no luck even with places an hour and a half away. 😭
I left him with his dripper on and some crickets in his cage incase he wants to eat.

If he has an illness do you think he’d be able to bounce back with proper treatment?
Honestly it depends on what is actually going on and causing the decline.

Honestly it depends on what is actually going on and causing the decline.
That makes sense. I have an appointment tomorrow morning with a vet who is going to examine him and see what’s going on. Thank you for your guys help.
My pet sitter just sent me a picture of him and his colors are pale and heading down the the bottom of his cage, which has me concerned.
IMG_6433.jpeg

That makes sense. I have an appointment tomorrow morning with a vet who is going to examine him and see what’s going on. Thank you for your guys help.
My pet sitter just sent me a picture of him and his colors are pale and heading down the the bottom of his cage, which has me concerned.
View attachment 346042
So you have not been home with him? Has the decline happened since you left and do you know and trust the pet sitter?

So you have not been home with him? Has the decline happened since you left and do you know and trust the pet sitter?
I was home with him this morning then had to leave. He began to act weird maybe 2 days ago but seemed to get bad this morning when I woke up and checked on him before I left. And I know my pet sitter she just came by to walk the dogs and check on Rue today. She wasn’t taking care of him.

View attachment 346042
I'm glad to hear you have an appointment. Let us know how it goes. Check him for parasites if you can.

I’m so sorry for your lost😢 keep him close in your heart 🙏🏻

(I have witnessed almost similar experience with my panther girl. Writing is good for grief and maybe when thinking about it unconsciously you’ve noticed something different in behavior prior to this. This could help others in the future, therefore I made a thread. If you’re ready for it, maybe you can share your story with is. https://www.chameleonforums.com/threads/sudden-deaths.187927/ )

I am so very sorry for your loss. I know how much it just sucks. :(

Should you decide to get another chameleon I would strip down the cage and thoroughly disinfect it getting rid of all porous items to be sure nothing transmits to a new one.

I'm so sorry for your loss. If only they could let us know sooner when something is going on w them. It's such a helpless feeling. He's now in the most beautiful tree over the rainbow with so many of his relatives. He was beautiful.

I am so very sorry for your loss. I know how much it just sucks. :(

Should you decide to get another chameleon I would strip down the cage and thoroughly disinfect it getting rid of all porous items to be sure nothing transmits to a new one.
Thank you for all your help with him on this forum and my previous ones too, I did get his cage all cleaned out and stored away just incase I decide to get one again in the future

Back
Top Bottom