Chameleon’s end of tail is brown and injured

kib1

Hello all, today I noticed while going to feed my veiled chameleon the end of his tail is black and injured and he won’t seem to move it what so ever. There are not pets able to harm him neither is there any bugs or what not that could harm him. My best guess is he fell last night pretty hard or he bit himself? It looks almost as if he bit his tail and chewed on it. I’ve never had any problems with him before but this seems serious. Is there anyone that can help with these issues? Or have any recommendations on preventive measures. Thank you guys and gals.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    104.8 KB · Views: 8
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    98.4 KB · Views: 7
It looks like he caught it in the door or something. Maybe there’s something in his enclosure that he got it stuck in. Maybe tail rot? Regardless of the cause, he needs a vet visit to look at and treat the injury. There may be a need to amputate a part if it’s dead. He’ll definitely need antibiotics not just to to treat any infection in the tail, but to prevent it from spreading up the rest of his tail and possibly causing sepsis. @kinyonga what does this look like to you?

It looks like he caught it in the door or something. Maybe there’s something in his enclosure that he got it stuck in. Maybe tail rot? Regardless of the cause, he needs a vet visit to look at and treat the injury. There may be a need to amputate a part if it’s dead. He’ll definitely need antibiotics not just to to treat any infection in the tail, but to prevent it from spreading up the rest of his tail and possibly causing sepsis. @kinyonga what does this look like to you?
@MissSkittles seems to have said everything I would have said! Hope you get the problem solved!

Welcome to the forum and the world of chameleons!

Until you can get him to the vet, you can put some plain neosporin (not the one with pain relief) on the wounds. If by some chance you happen to have any silver sulfadiazine, that would be even better to use.
Thank you for your quick replies ! . I have to run out and I can pick up neosporin (no pain relief) and hopefully for the meantime that can help. There is a vet I will be taking him to, I am hoping they will be able to do something quick the lack of ability to move his tail is scary. I’ve had him a couple years now and never had any problems. This would be a new vet for me but I know they can help, and regarding silver sulfadiazine that’s something I can get during my vet visit? It says I need a prescription to order.

Also it looks like you may be using a red bulb... These are not recommended for chams as it harms their eyes... You will want to switch out your heat bulb for a plain white incandescent bulb.

Also it looks like you may be using a red bulb... These are not recommended for chams as it harms their eyes... You will want to switch out your heat bulb for a plain white incandescent bulb.
I should have known.. thank you ! I have a white bulb already on, is the one enough?

regarding silver sulfadiazine that’s something I can get during my vet visit?
Yes! That is pretty much the standard of topical antibiotic/antiinfective that is used and prescribed. Please do keep us updated as to what the vet says and does. Wishing you and your poor guy the best results.

I should have known.. thank you ! I have a white bulb already on, is the one enough?
Can you tell me if you are running a double dome fixture with UVB and heat? Maybe post some pics of your lighting and your enclosure for me.

Back
Top Bottom