heat range

Melimacmomo

Hi, I'm a new male panther chameleon owner. I have a reptisun 5.0 and a basking lamp and my high temp is only getting to 78 degrees. He goes under there a lot and cools off at the other end. Everything I read says they need 90 degrees. Should I get a hotter basking light? It came in a set up from lllreptile so I thought it would be what I needed.

I changed out bulbs from the one that came with the set up to a different reptile bulb I had and now I got a digital reading at 85 which is way better but still not 90.

You don't need a special basking bulb for chameleons. A basic white household bulb will provide the heat they need just fine. You may have to experiment with wattage and placement to get the right temps but a 40 or 60W household bulb is just fine and a hell of a lot cheaper than special 'basking bulbs'.

Your UVB bulb of course has to stay but they're such a low wattage they shouldn't affect the heat of the enclosure much at all.

first of all how old is your panther?
babies up to 3 months should be about 80-82 with an increase of about 1degree every month until adult temps are reached and 85-90 should be just fine

I'm not sure of his age. I went to the National Reptile Expo and the booth I bought him from was super busy. I totally lapsed on asking that question. I believe from looking at different pictures he is between 3-4 months.

We need some info fill out the help request form someone on here will post it. Also post some pics for age help and something to compared him to in size.

you may not need to fill out that form unless you may want some advice on your husbandry and care and the supplies you have. which mau not be such a bad idea. post pictures thats only way people can help determine an age. in the mean time i think about an 84 temp range should be good 90 may be a little hot

Back
Top Bottom