I’m new

Adottheswipa

I have built my set up just wanted to get some advice will be my first pet chameleon basking temps are anywhere from 85-90 uvb light I use is a a repti sun T5 5.0 my enclosure is 2feet by 2feet and 4 feet tall only problem I have is at night I’m having trouble cooling down my enclosure I already have a ac in my room any advice on making my enclosure better before I try bringing the lil guy home
767B20AB-F72C-44E4-8BFC-00690E5D81AC.jpeg

Welcome to the forum!

Its good that you are getting ready ahead of getting the chameleon and this forum is a great place to learn!

What temperature e is your room with the ac on?

How old it the chameleon you’ll be getting? What species? This information will help us answer your questions better.

I’m getting a veiled chameleon I’m trying to get a baby, or young adult I would say around probably 75-65 degrees with my ac is my room temperature

Hey there. Welcome to the forum. You are off to a great start. I would add more branches this way they can utilize more cage area. Also you want to get that electrical plug moved off the table. Mount it to the wall. High risk with water and electrical that close. Basking temps you want to reduce down to 80-85 max. With cooling at night you may need to close your door to the room to hold the cold air. I have to drop my window unit down to 62 to maintain 64-65 in the cage at night.

Keep in mind with young chams they like to screen climb the top as well. So you have to lift fixtures up off the top screen. Basking should be lifted up at least 4 inches. then check your temp on the screen to ensure it is within limit. Thermal burns are awful with chams so avoiding them is best. Then with the UVB 5.0 bulb. That should be lifted 4 inches as well. Then you want to add a branch 5 inches down from the screen running parallel to the UVB. With your fixture and bulb type its always an 8-9 inch distance needed from fixture to branch, so the max exposure zone is on the screen but your fixture is lifted 4 inches away from it. Putting baby still in a safe UVI zone.

Are you going to get a male? You can sex. Riled chameleons at birth…the heels have tarsal spurs if they are male….none if they are female.

Also, if you get a female you will have to deal with reproductive issues so you have to make husbandry changes as they approach sexual maturity.
veiled females are like snickers…they lay eggs without a mate.

Are you going to get a male? You can sex. Riled chameleons at birth…the heels have tarsal spurs if they are male….none if they are female.

Also, if you get a female you will have to deal with reproductive issues so you have to make husbandry changes as they approach sexual maturity.
veiled females are like snickers…they lay eggs without a mate.
Yeah I looked into that and I’m trying to get a male

Back
Top Bottom