General Husbandry questions

Hello everyone! Sprinkles is my first reptile and I want to be sure my care is as good as it can be.

He has an XL reptibreeze screen enclosure with all live plants. I mist once in the morning and once in the evening. When we go outside in the mornings I will mist his tree for 10+ minutes to make sure he is drinking. He gets about 10 hours of sun a week and I have a linear 5.0 T5-HO uvb as well as a 50 watt heat lamp. His basking temp is about 85-90 degrees and amibient temps are around 78, my place in LA can't get cooler than that. His humidity ranges from 40-65% during the day and 60-70% at night. Lights go off at 8pm and on at 8:30am.

For feeding, he gets 10-15 crickets dusted with calcium every feeding and gutloaded with carrots/ potatoes and fruit. He also gets hornworms every few days. He gets D3 once or twicw a month.

I handle him every day, mostly because he comes out to me for sun. I have checked my cage and husbandry and can't find anything wrong, but I read if they are happy with their enclosures they will not want out as much. I am worried something is wrong that I am not thinking of.

Does anyone have any suggestions for changes I should make? TIA!

Attachments

• IMG_2839.JPG
    IMG_2839.JPG
    100.7 KB · Views: 48
  • IMG_2840.jpg
    IMG_2840.jpg
    242.4 KB · Views: 44
  • IMG_2847.jpg
    IMG_2847.jpg
    216 KB · Views: 51
Hello everyone! Sprinkles is my first reptile and I want to be sure my care is as good as it can be.

He has an XL reptibreeze screen enclosure with all live plants. I mist once in the morning and once in the evening. When we go outside in the mornings I will mist his tree for 10+ minutes to make sure he is drinking. He gets about 10 hours of sun a week and I have a linear 5.0 T5-HO uvb as well as a 50 watt heat lamp. His basking temp is about 85-90 degrees and amibient temps are around 78, my place in LA can't get cooler than that. His humidity ranges from 40-65% during the day and 60-70% at night. Lights go off at 8pm and on at 8:30am.

For feeding, he gets 10-15 crickets dusted with calcium every feeding and gutloaded with carrots/ potatoes and fruit. He also gets hornworms every few days. He gets D3 once or twicw a month.

I handle him every day, mostly because he comes out to me for sun. I have checked my cage and husbandry and can't find anything wrong, but I read if they are happy with their enclosures they will not want out as much. I am worried something is wrong that I am not thinking of.

Does anyone have any suggestions for changes I should make? TIA!

Hey there welcome to the forum. I do not see anything wrong with the enclosure... He may be wanting out because he is used to going outside or if he is just too warm with ambient temps they prefer low 70's for ambient day.

I would keep basking temps more in the 85 max range for him.

How old is he?

Hi and welcome! You have such a cutie there! I won’t give advice because I’m not as experienced as others here, but I would suggest a husbandry review. I’ll attach a form. Copy and paste it and answer the questions with as much detail as possible. Someone will come around that has more knowledge than me and can review it for you.

Chameleon Info:

• Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:

• Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
  • Location - Where are you geographically located?

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.

--------------

Please Note:

1. The more details you provide the better and more accurate help you will receive.
  2. Photos can be very helpful.

Hey there welcome to the forum. I do not see anything wrong with the enclosure... He may be wanting out because he is used to going outside or if he is just too warm with ambient temps they prefer low 70's for ambient day.

I would keep basking temps more in the 85 max range for him.

How old is he?
Thank you! he is around 6-7 months. I have my AC running all day and unfortunately haven't been able to get the temps lower, I do not have central AC. He screen climbs pretty much all day and waits at the door to be taken out. I feel awful because I start a new job and won't be able to give him as much time outside soon

Thank you! he is around 6-7 months. I have my AC running all day and unfortunately haven't been able to get the temps lower, I do not have central AC. He screen climbs pretty much all day and waits at the door to be taken out. I feel awful because I start a new job and won't be able to give him as much time outside soon
He is a developing quite nicely. Beautiful colors. If you want to fill out the form posted above for you then we can do a total husbandry review. This info will tell us much more as well. Just copy and paste the form into your reply and fill it out. Do me a favor post more pics of the entire enclosure so I can see layout of his branches on the top level as well.

Hi and welcome! You have such a cutie there! I won’t give advice because I’m not as experienced as others here, but I would suggest a husbandry review. I’ll attach a form. Copy and paste it and answer the questions with as much detail as possible. Someone will come around that has more knowledge than me and can review it for you.

Chameleon Info:

• Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:

• Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
  • Location - Where are you geographically located?

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.

--------------

Please Note:

1. The more details you provide the better and more accurate help you will receive.
  2. Photos can be very helpful.
Hi there! Thank you for this.

• Your Chameleon - Species/sex: Male Panther. I have had him for about 2 1/2 months now
  • Handling - I handle him about 3-4 times a day, mostly because he paws to get out and loves the sun. He likes to perch on me outside/ I move him to his outdoor tree.
  • Feeding - I feed him once a day, 10-15 crickets, around 8-10 am. I dust with calcium without D3 every feeding and with D3 once/twice a month. I gutload with veggies (carrots) and potatoes/ fruit. I also use calcium food for the crickets
  • Supplements - I dust with Pangea Cal without D3 and reptive with D3 once or twice a month
  • Watering - I hand mist in the morning right after lights come on for 2 minutes and 2 minutes an hr before lights go out. I also do a 10 minute hand mist outside and that is when I see him drinking.
  • Fecal Description - Usually looks good- urine has been pale/white but occasionally orange and that is why I bought a mist system I will be installing this week. He has not been tested for parasites
  • History - His enclosure is next to a window, it does not get direct sun/ there are lots of trees. If I open the blinds he is non-stop screen climbing and staring at the trees and wanting out. when I let him on a plant by the window he paws the glass over and over and turns a purple color I don't typically see. Should I keep the blinds closed/ is this frustration because he can't reach higher trees?

Cage Info:

• Cage Type - screen XL reptibreeze cage
  • Lighting - reptisun 5.0 T5 HO UVB light and 50 watt heat lamp. lights go on at 8:30 and off at 8 pm.
  • Temperature - I have a digital thermometer, the basking spot is 85-90 degrees, mid cage 78-79 and lower 77 degrees F. I do not have central AC but I run my AC unit constantly and those are the lowest the temps can get in my older place.
  • Humidity - 40-60% depending. The humidity levels in LA have been pretty decent. I mist if I feel like they are low and I haven't felt the need to get a fogger. Should I have one for night time? Measure with pangea temp and humidity gauge.
  • Plants - I use a variety, pothos, dracena, money tree, spider plant, fern, etc.
  • Placement - Next to a window that does not get direct sun. lots of tree cover. It is near the AC unit, about 30 feet away. The AC may hit his cage, but I assumed that was okay since my place was so hot. I have his cage raised super high up.
  • Location - Los Angeles

Current Problem - I am worried because I find that Sprinkles always screen climbs and wants out of his cage. I take him outside in the sun often, and I don't know if he is just used to that or if there is another problem with husbandry.

Attachments

• IMG_2849.jpg
    IMG_2849.jpg
    235.4 KB · Views: 42
  • IMG_2850.jpg
    IMG_2850.jpg
    166.2 KB · Views: 45
  • IMG_2851.jpg
    IMG_2851.jpg
    176.1 KB · Views: 49
  • IMG_2852.jpg
    IMG_2852.jpg
    236.1 KB · Views: 45
  • IMG_2853.jpg
    IMG_2853.jpg
    181.8 KB · Views: 41
  • IMG_2854.jpg
    IMG_2854.jpg
    236.8 KB · Views: 48
  • IMG_2855.jpg
    IMG_2855.jpg
    257.6 KB · Views: 42
  • IMG_2848.jpg
    IMG_2848.jpg
    173.1 KB · Views: 40
From just a quick scan, it all looks pretty good with just a few suggestions. I do tend to talk a lot though, so be warned. 😂

• Your Chameleon - Species/sex: Male Panther. I have had him for about 2 1/2 months now He’s a very handsome little guy.
  • Handling - I handle him about 3-4 times a day, mostly because he paws to get out and loves the sun. He likes to perch on me outside/ I move him to his outdoor tree. We’ll get back to this.
  • Feeding - I feed him once a day, 10-15 crickets, around 8-10 am. I dust with calcium without D3 every feeding and with D3 once/twice a month. I gutload with veggies (carrots) and potatoes/ fruit. I also use calcium food for the crickets Your feeder variety and buggie care could be improved. I’m attaching some graphics below to help. I keep a rotation of a few different staple feeders. My chams never know what they’ll be getting and half the time neither do I. For an added fun treat, let some bsfl pupate into flies for your guy to hunt.
  • Supplements - I dust with Pangea Cal without D3 and reptive with D3 once or twice a month You need to use the ReptiVite with D3 one feeding every other week. I’m not so worried about the D3 since he has a good uvb light and gets plenty of real sun, but he also needs the other vitamins and minerals.
  • Watering - I hand mist in the morning right after lights come on for 2 minutes and 2 minutes an hr before lights go out. I also do a 10 minute hand mist outside and that is when I see him drinking. Excellent
  • Fecal Description - Usually looks good- urine has been pale/white but occasionally orange and that is why I bought a mist system I will be installing this week. He has not been tested for parasites Is always best to get a fecal check.
  • History - His enclosure is next to a window, it does not get direct sun/ there are lots of trees. If I open the blinds he is non-stop screen climbing and staring at the trees and wanting out. when I let him on a plant by the window he paws the glass over and over and turns a purple color I don't typically see. Should I keep the blinds closed/ is this frustration because he can't reach higher trees? Tough question…I don’t know. Chams are curious creatures and do enjoy having interesting views. If you have a lot of bird visitors to your yard, maybe partially close it.

Cage Info:

• Cage Type - screen XL reptibreeze cage Perfect. I have to advocate for your guy though. If you have the space or are able, to give him more space. I had my boys each in double sized and they patrolled every inch. https://chameleonacademy.com/double-wide-chameleon-cage-project/
  • Lighting - reptisun 5.0 T5 HO UVB light and 50 watt heat lamp. lights go on at 8:30 and off at 8 pm. Perfect
  • Temperature - I have a digital thermometer, the basking spot is 85-90 degrees, mid cage 78-79 and lower 77 degrees F. I do not have central AC but I run my AC unit constantly and those are the lowest the temps can get in my older place. That is a bit too warm. Try to get basking temp to between 80-85. Since heat rises, you may not even need a basking light or just a very low watt one.
  • Humidity - 40-60% depending. The humidity levels in LA have been pretty decent. I mist if I feel like they are low and I haven't felt the need to get a fogger. Should I have one for night time? No. If you could achieve night time temp drops of at least 68-70, you could add a night time fogging. Never fog when it’s warm as it greatly increases risks of respiratory infection. Measure with pangea temp and humidity gauge.
  • Plants - I use a variety, pothos, dracena, money tree, spider plant, fern, etc. Very good
  • Placement - Next to a window that does not get direct sun. lots of tree cover. It is near the AC unit, about 30 feet away. The AC may hit his cage, but I assumed that was okay since my place was so hot. Ok I have his cage raised super high up. Excellent
  • Location - Los Angeles

Current Problem - I am worried because I find that Sprinkles always screen climbs and wants out of his cage. I take him outside in the sun often, and I don't know if he is just used to that or if there is another problem with husbandry. I went thru the same with my panther. As soon as he saw me, he’d come running over and do all he could to reach me. If I was sitting on the floor he’d crawl down as low as he could and poor guy scraped up the side of his head on the screen when getting stuck between bioactive liner and screen. I used to stare at every aspect of his enclosure for something wrong and reviewed my husbandry over and over in my head, but there was nothing. I just had a ‘friendly’ chameleon. He was just content to sit on my hand while we stared at each other (and I cooed over him of course). Your guy has the added motivation of getting outside time. All I can say is you can keep looking for a problem - keeps you sharp and alert if anything changes. Then just enjoy that he enjoys being held. 🥰
IMG_0151.jpeg
IMG_1188.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom