Eye issue/bleeding eye

No I dont think that ...as I hope you dont think I'm not listening..I'm open to anything. See I'm not very creative and with both lights on the top of the cage I havent been able to find a way to somehow rig a plant up there to do that ..my plan was to let the schefferla grow big enough that it filled the cage which is working but slowly ..for a while I did add a grow light onto to help even the plant out but I've shut that off cause I'm sure that gives out uvb as well and probably too much

Go to lowes or home depot and get either a piece of emt from the electrical area or a nice thick dowel rod from the wood area. I'd probably go with emt so you can lay it up top next to your lights just like you have the t5ho fixture. Then make a loop or two of fishing line down into the cage to hang the pothos pot from :D.

I suppose I could always add fake plants for coverage too may have to go that route ...you know its funny my local pet store has Panthers and they use the coil bulbs and have forever...not once ever an issue...I wonder if I should take a chance with trying. They have alot of Panthers I imagine if it was hurting their health it would show it but their all beautiful and in really great shape. sometimes makes me wonder about all this hype people create about using specific products ya kno? ..

Also- do you guys think his eating I'd being affected by this? He appears to be able to see out of both eyes ...when all this started he still shot his tounge, but started missing then I started offering by hand as he always missed and he did fine with that but now he cant even get them out of my hand..and you know how sometimes they will lick you arm or something when walking? I noticed this week he cant even stick his tounge out now...any thoughts on that? Related? Unrelated? How to fix? ...the other night I offered a horn worm and he went nuts for it..I held it up to try and get him to use his tounge and he tried but it like wouldnt come out it looked like it got stuck on the roof of his mouth

Are you still doing the fish oil?

I've been watching this thread since it started and I've resisted the temptation to chime in because I don't have anywhere near the experience the previous posters have. But this little guy has multiple symptoms that seem pretty severe. Could all this really be caused by just using the wrong bulb?

I've been watching this thread since it started and I've resisted the temptation to chime in because I don't have anywhere near the experience the previous posters have. But this little guy has multiple symptoms that seem pretty severe. Could all this really be caused by just using the wrong bulb?

The tongue issue may be a side effect of trying to treat the original problem. But, need to know if the fish oil is still being used 3-4 days a week first before I go further down that rabbit hole lol.

It's really only the eye issue and his eating issue which has started since the eye issue other wise poops fine acts fine moves fine seems to see fine active not lethargic ect ..so its mind boggling

To clarify the fish oil I did only for those few days back around April. Someone said vit a could cause eye issues and to try that so I did but if he wasnt lacking vit a then giving to much could do more damage so it was just that 1 time

From what I recall, tongue issues are typically one of two things, genetics or lack of/ imbalance of vit A and D. He shouldn't be lacking in D by any means but he may still be lacking in A. I may have missed it, are you using any multivitamin powder?

Sorry, I cut my thoughts short there, was supposed to be any multivitamin powder besides the repashy once to twice a month.

From what I recall, tongue issues are typically one of two things, genetics or lack of/ imbalance of vit A and D. He shouldn't be lacking in D by any means but he may still be lacking in A. I may have missed it, are you using any multivitamin powder?
Or an eye problem as they focus their eyes to catch prey...
I give rephasy cal plus twice a month for him I was doing once a month but since the eye issue I upped it since it has everything in it.
I also dust calcium without d3 every feeding except for when he gets the repashy

Sorry, I cut my thoughts short there, was supposed to be any multivitamin powder besides the repashy once to twice a month.
Oh I didnt see this...no just the two the rephasy is suppose to be essentially that I was told so i didnt do anything other than rephasy and plain cal

Ok, so we need to work on supplements and getting him cover on the stick. I'm not a fan of fake plants but in this case fake is faster to get him cover for now.

Do you have CVS up there?

Yeah I have cvs, Walmart ect...yeah I fought with someone over fake plants they were determined it qhat the cause which I knew it qasnt
But I turned off the uvb light last night around 7ish and like a idiot I forgot to turn it back on before work this morning so it would come on when the timer kicks on..so hell be going all day today without uvb

Yeah I have cvs, Walmart ect...yeah I fought with someone over fake plants they were determined it qhat the cause which I knew it qasnt
But I turned off the uvb light last night around 7ish and like a idiot I forgot to turn it back on before work this morning so it would come on when the timer kicks on..so hell be going all day today without uvb

Ok cool, my Wal-Mart doesn't have vit A liquid capsules here but look for this either there or cvs. Since it's the end of the month it works out nicely. He's a year old right? Use roughly 3/4 of each capsule once a month, I like to do it on the first since it makes it easy to remember lol. Give me a few and I'll add a couple other things to grab. Do you have a small food processor/ coffee bean grinder by chance?

Screenshot_2018-06-29-13-53-53.png

I have a blender and a small food chopper blender thing lol

But...if let's say he isnt lacking any vit a, would doing this cause any harm? I've been told too much is not good for them so I kinda fear without knowing his actual levels if it could hurt him ( vet appt tomorrow, depending on cost I'm aiming for blood work and such)

I have a blender and a small food chopper blender thing lol

But...if let's say he isnt lacking any vit a, would doing this cause any harm? I've been told too much is not good for them so I kinda fear without knowing his actual levels if it could hurt him ( vet appt tomorrow, depending on cost I'm aiming for blood work and such)

Let us know how the vet visit goes please. If your open to changing his husbandry I'm more then happy to help. I have all of my panthers on the same schedule that I'm trying to guide you towards for your boy. It is the same schedule @Matt Vanilla Gorilla and @Teal Beauty have all there panthers (~80 atm I think? Matt or Jessica would have to give a more accurate number lol). The same schedule they have shared with those of us here who have and haven't bought from them.

There are two different paths to go down to do that one of which is "controversial" since it is human grade supplements. I have not switched mine over to human grade, except the vit A capsules, but one keeper I highly respect has and his chams are some of the most phenomenal I've seen. It does make buying the supplements easier since they are able to be sourced locally but again, like the "naturalistic hydration approach", is still in the controversial stages of husbandry. So if your open minded I'll share what I know to try and get your boy back on track.

We had the vet visit. As I pretty much expected she is pretty much stumped ( his vet is the owner of the veterinary hospital I go to-she also has owned and treated many chams) I showed her the pic of his recent bloody eye, and the videos of how he is struggling with eating now since this eye issue and shes wicked concerned but has no idea. I brought up your idea on the uvb to her, and she said shes never heard of that but its certainly possible. I read her exactly what you wrote. She examined his eyes again and we both agree he can see out of both but we just dont know how good his vision actually is. I got lucky today and he pooped on the way there so I was able to get his fecal done finally and they took blood from him. They have to send everything out so we wont know those results until probably end of next week with the holiday and everything. All she could really say was to wait on the results for now so she can figure out where his levels are, if hes healthy or not ect...

I'm open to trying new things with his husbandry, but to be honest I'm in a bit of a financial rut right now and I really cannot afford to be spending and arm and a leg. Trying to save up to move (desperately need too) paying down some big bills and my own health needs attention as of recently so my paychecks are being stretched to the max. I'll of course be able to do more once my fiances are back on track but it is going to take a while ( and I own 11 animals ontip)
Just been a huge mess. ...
But anyway here is a pic of his poo from earlier at the vet..I noticed this time around the urate wasnt snowy white ...concern?

No pic came through for the poo? That is part of why I brought up the more "controversial" human grade supplements since it will probably be cheaper with not having to ship them. So if your ok going that route there's not much to buy really.

20171105_162754-1.jpg

As an example, this is the only enclosure I have a 10.0 bulb over. There is a sunblaze 46 (4 foot 6 bulb t5ho fixture) sitting on top with the 10.0 bulb in the second spot from the front. Distance from the bulb to the bottom of the cage is approximately 56".

This is Blue's home but I have swapped Blue and Bort several times for breeding purposes. Bort is the type of male that is super friendly towards me and my wife but, one of my females in particular he is extremely aggressive with while being as gentlechamish as one could expect with the other female he's been introduced to. So I like him in here to give plenty of space for everyone while I keep an eye on him with a female.

Everyone that has been in this enclosure has done exactly what I described with tucking their heads under the pothos leaving their bodies exposed to the uv. Two males and four different females have all been in here at different times for breeding (1 male and 1 female for breeding or just 1 male at a time).

They all tuck their heads and leave their bodies exposed like I was trying to explain every so often in here. I have tried reducing to just two bulbs on of the the six to see if it was just to many bulbs and still saw head tucking even with reduced lighting.

So the human grade supplements, he buys bee pollen, calcium, calcium w/d3 and prenatal vitamins as tablets and crushes them into powder with a blender, separately of course. He premixes his bee pollen into the Calcium powders while he's using the blender to crush the pellets.

If you go this route, be very sure to read the box to try and find one that the vit A isn't just beta carotene. Otherwise you'll essentially be recreating herptivite which isn't what you want. I did look at Wal-Mart's site and the best I could find vit A wise was a 50/50 in one of their house branded ones at a quick glance.

If you get close to $35 for calcium w/d3, prenatal vitamins and bee pollen then don't and we'll go the other route.

Back
Top Bottom