Eye issue/bleeding eye

Hi
This is going to be long so bare with me...I'm desperate for help!

Okay so I had gotten my juvenile ambilobe panther beginning of December 2017..he hatched around June 2017..
Everything was great up until about a month ago I noticed his eye was a little bloody...didnt know what it was at first until later it became a more severe issue...so I had flushed his eye with saline the first time I noticed and it went away..few days later it happened again...then no issues until I came home from work one day and his eye was completely full of blood...also note that it was the opposite eye..it has been back and forth between both eyes....the night his eye was full of blood I rushed him to get that was able to treat..they have him antibiotic eye drops, and oral anti inflammatory meds and wanted him on them for a week...so the 2nd night on the meds one of his eyes started up again just a little not a lot...then no issues the rest of that week...at exactly 1 week hades went into a full blown shed and when it reached his eyes it started all over again..full of blood..so naturally I flushed and flushed until it stopped. I had picked up some terramycin per a suggestion from a knowledgable friend and use it that night next day he was fine. I called his actual vet to discuss what to do as I've been in between jobs and haven't been able to actually bring him in..she suggested to continue the drops only for another week and if it didnt work then we can discuss using the terramycin.
So a few days went by and it happened again I decided to start use to terramycin since I noticed a big difference just off one use and the drops didnt seem to be doing much. Another friend thought it could have been due to lack of vitamin a. So she suggested to do a drop of fish oil for 3-4 days on his food..between that and the terramycin he did great..no further issues for about 2-3 weeks... then a week ago it bled again ..very little but still bled. Since the Sunday before last I've been putting terramycin on his eye before bed and rinsing his eye with saline twice between the time I get home and go to bed. Due to all of this hades appetite has been lacking but he is also around that age now where that is common...BUT I'm worried cause when he does go to eat he misses the food nearly every time. Hell take food from my hand when he wants too but I have to sit there forever trying to encourage him to do so...and he will not eat from a bowl or cup...I've gone over my husbandry 1000 times literally and noone has pointed out anything significant that could cause his eye to get irritated enough to make him wanna scratch enough to make it bleed. I'm at a complete loss, I'm not getting many answers or actual solutions and I'm getting really stressed out myself and stressed for him...all the changing things around to see what works what does the poking around his eye to get meds in there has to be stressful for him which I'm sure is not helping ...please has anyone ever dealt with this? What did you do?

*** I've also come to the conclusion as see in the first picture that it is the membrane that is bleeding into the eye..the membrane is where the problem is not the actual eye or lid***
Screenshot_20180307-194436.png
received_2490159004542075.jpeg
20180226_183031.jpg
20180307_185142.jpg
received_2490159004542075.jpeg
20180226_183031.jpg
20180307_185142.jpg

sorry, prematurely posting so i could help faster. see her again if this is still happening, but luckily the membrane will scab and heal.

I can guess and say that maybe those bulbs you have burnt her eyes? They're harsh if they're not linear. Her eyes look sunburned to me. Flashburn for humans. Just a thought tho. Also what do you do for water/misting?

Honestly try paragraphs please to start. You may get more responses.

I didn't see anything about misting? One common thing that seems to set the eye problem crowd from the healthy eye crowd is misting times. All the people I know that most enough never seem to have any eye issues in their collections. But then again nothing is 100%, some of us just get unlucky. It doesn't look like you have drainage set up though so I'll take a bet that you aren't misting enough. If there is a drainage bin in there and I'm not seeing it, then I apologize for the false assumption. 'If your cage isn't being flooded with water, you're not misting enough' is a good rule of thumb.

On another note, all those plastic plants with pointy edges probably don't help. I also see, as mentioned, you use the double bulb uvb/basking, which isn't recommended. And is that gravel at the bottom???

Are you still here? ;)

ok, my opinion is than the injury is not an infection.. (thats why teramycin did not work) i think this must have a mechanic cause..
So remove all the pink and blue stuff (i dont know what it is maybe this is too hard when rubbing his eye?) remove everything close to a sand paper texture)

increase the water, you need too flush the eyes 1 time a day
Increase you humidity (will you feed the help file? like caging, handling vitamins, humidity etc? help us to help you ;) )

Hi
This is going to be long so bare with me...I'm desperate for help!

Okay so I had gotten my juvenile ambilobe panther beginning of December 2017..he hatched around June 2017..
Everything was great up until about a month ago I noticed his eye was a little bloody...didnt know what it was at first until later it became a more severe issue...so I had flushed his eye with saline the first time I noticed and it went away..few days later it happened again...then no issues until I came home from work one day and his eye was completely full of blood...also note that it was the opposite eye..it has been back and forth between both eyes....the night his eye was full of blood I rushed him to get that was able to treat..they have him antibiotic eye drops, and oral anti inflammatory meds and wanted him on them for a week...so the 2nd night on the meds one of his eyes started up again just a little not a lot...then no issues the rest of that week...at exactly 1 week hades went into a full blown shed and when it reached his eyes it started all over again..full of blood..so naturally I flushed and flushed until it stopped. I had picked up some terramycin per a suggestion from a knowledgable friend and use it that night next day he was fine. I called his actual vet to discuss what to do as I've been in between jobs and haven't been able to actually bring him in..she suggested to continue the drops only for another week and if it didnt work then we can discuss using the terramycin.
So a few days went by and it happened again I decided to start use to terramycin since I noticed a big difference just off one use and the drops didnt seem to be doing much. Another friend thought it could have been due to lack of vitamin a. So she suggested to do a drop of fish oil for 3-4 days on his food..between that and the terramycin he did great..no further issues for about 2-3 weeks... then a week ago it bled again ..very little but still bled. Since the Sunday before last I've been putting terramycin on his eye before bed and rinsing his eye with saline twice between the time I get home and go to bed. Due to all of this hades appetite has been lacking but he is also around that age now where that is common...BUT I'm worried cause when he does go to eat he misses the food nearly every time. Hell take food from my hand when he wants too but I have to sit there forever trying to encourage him to do so...and he will not eat from a bowl or cup...I've gone over my husbandry 1000 times literally and noone has pointed out anything significant that could cause his eye to get irritated enough to make him wanna scratch enough to make it bleed. I'm at a complete loss, I'm not getting many answers or actual solutions and I'm getting really stressed out myself and stressed for him...all the changing things around to see what works what does the poking around his eye to get meds in there has to be stressful for him which I'm sure is not helping ...please has anyone ever dealt with this? What did you do?

*** I've also come to the conclusion as see in the first picture that it is the membrane that is bleeding into the eye..the membrane is where the problem is not the actual eye or lid***View attachment 203037 View attachment 203038 View attachment 203039 View attachment 203040 View attachment 203037 View attachment 203037 View attachment 203038 View attachment 203039 View attachment 203040

Sorry guys I was getting notifications to my emails but they stopped so I had no idea anyone was commenting....
So the latest around April I brought him to the vet and she said her best guess was that something was stuck in the membranes in the eyes and they could do surgery but she wouldnt recommend it. Around the time of the vet visit he didnt have any bloody episodes and I had used terramycin straight for two weeks which did seem to stop it! He had one small episode that weekend after the vet and that was the last of it ..until this past week and it's now 6/26/18. Since his last vet appointment he has had extremely hard time eating..like he struggles with taking it from my hand and I assume because something has been wrong with his eyes so he cant focus right....he doesnt even shoot his tounge anymore. Tonight his eye was full of blood and stuck shut..I cleaned it out and he is now fine for the time being. Still at a completely loss...aside from the issues eating and eye he is completely fine. Active, eating when he can get a worm or two and leaves his plugs around.

TO CLARIFY
I have a mist king system!
Initially when all this started I had the mister going off every hour for about 45 seconds just about.
I was told to try cutting the misting back to 3 times a day for about 2-3 minutes. So that is what he has been on since all this started.

The tape around the vines are vet wrap because when this started I caught him scratching his eyes against the vines which was doing more damage so I tried to give cushion incase he tried to scratch while I was at work.

I have coconut fiber subrate in the pan at the bottom of the cage. He literally never goes anywhere near it.

Since all of this I've also added the leaf dripper to his cage to give him constant water access and i added a schefferla (spelling) plant which has grown and takes up a good portion of the cage.

The BASKING bulb is a regular flood bulb from basking spot(the pack with the bearded dragon on it at the pet store) and it is not colored.
In addition he has a t5 reptisun 10.0

The basking is 6inches away from the highest vine give or take.

I've gone over husbandry with everyone and noone has pointed out anything seriously wrong that could cause concern. Except the fake plants but those are just to provide some coverage around the sides of the cage otherwise the real plant is pretty big in there.

My vet has no idea, I've talked to expierence reptile keepers that have Tons of knowledge generally and noone has a single clue..we all just about ruled out everything.

My next steps are going to be blood work to look deeper but aside from that noone has a clue

Attachments

• 20180626_194035.jpg
    20180626_194035.jpg
    92.9 KB · Views: 241
  • 20180626_192603.jpg
    20180626_192603.jpg
    110.5 KB · Views: 285
** ALSO
Could be worth noting that it seems he has bled during or near a shed

Well tonight 6/26/18...I noticed as his eye was filled with blood as in the picture his head is getting ready to shed..so now wondering if it could be a shed issue

Poor guy. I feel your frustration, I too am dealing with a cham with eye problems with no overtly apparent cause, trial and error. Nothing this scary though! Does he have problems when he sheds? Besides the eyes? Does it stick in places, or take a very long time to complete a shed? And just out of curiosity, which brand do you use for your vitamin supp?

Doesnt seem to have any issues....his head is cloudy now..not yet actually shedding...nothing on or near the eyes ...just blood

Repashy cal plus and I forget the other one but it's a good with plain cal without d3

Can you fill out the help form and post it here please? Would like to see that info before saying anything else on my thoughts.

edit: also a more current pic of enclosure would be good since you said it has filled in.

Yeah...I'm at work though, so will have to do it when i get home ...can you post videos on here? If so I can take a video which will probably be easier to go over everything if not I'll try to find it and fill it out (new to this site and still learning how to nagivate)

Yeah...I'm at work though, so will have to do it when i get home ...can you post videos on here? If so I can take a video which will probably be easier to go over everything if not I'll try to find it and fill it out (new to this site and still learning how to nagivate)

I believe you can. The 6th icon above the post box will let you link videos from various services. Have you always had the t5 10.0 bulb on there with the original, no offense meant here, sparsely planted center setup?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom