Eye issue/bleeding eye

Has the vet tried to do a culture and sensitivity of the eye. If it is infection and you aren't using an antibiotic the bug is sensitive to you won't eliminate it completely. You might be knocking it down with the terramycin but not enough to kill it completely. If that is the case replacing the wrapping of your branches or disinfecting could prevent reinfection.
An other thought would be to examine a smear of the eye discharge under the microscope or submit it for cytology (examination of the cells).

Yes, I've have a reptisun 10.0 t5 since I got him along with the flood for basking

I'll wait for the help form to follow but I think someone touched on a very plausible cause earlier with that bulb strength and the way the cage was/ is setup.

• Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
  • Location - Where are you geographically located?

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.

--------------

Please Note:
  1. The more details you provide the better and more accurate help you will receive.
  2. Photos can be very helpful.

I couldnt find it so I hope this is similar...I pulled this off of chameleon central USA

Husbandry Questionnaire Sheet

Please fill out IN FULL in order for us to efficiently help

Chameleon Info:

• Your Chameleon – What is the species, sex, and age of your chameleon? Ambilobe panther chameleon, male, and 1 year old this month
How long has it been in your care?
He hatched June 2017 and I received him December 2017

• Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon? I was handling him every day for short periods, once the eye issue started I tried to handle him less because i had to constantly give him meds touch his eyes ect so with all the stress i tried to only handle him for that reason

• Feeding - What are you feeding your cham?
    When I first got him I had fed him crickets, dubias, supers, and occasional horn worms. Since he has grown older and this eye issue has started he refused to touch any other other than super worms. Occasionally as he is finished chewing I try to quickly put a dubia in his mouth since I know their more nutritious
What amount?
I give him as many as he will eat. Typically about 3-4 supers per feeding. I use to let the bugs free roam his cage but stopped that since he can no longer use his tounge which started with the eye issue

What is the schedule? Because he is no longer able to eat on his own I make sure to offer food by hand every day to every other day to make sure he is getting food in his system.

How are you gut-loading your feeders?
The dubias I breed so I put scraps of oranges or leafy greens, broccoli, carrots ect in the bin. Whatever I have on hand.
The superworms I get come in grounded corn it looks like so I usually try to throw brocolli and carrots in with them for nutrition
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule? I use repashy cal plus once to twice a month (I upped to twice trying to see it it would help with the eye issue) every other feeding gets dusted with plain calcium without d3..its the stuff in the white bottle

• Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? I have a mist king set up. I have switched between tap and distilled. Made no difference to the eyes
How often and how long to you mist?
I started with misting 45 seconds every hour to every other hour. I was advised it could be to much and was suggested to reduce to 3 times a day for about 2 or 3 minutes. He is currently on that schedule

Do you see your chameleon drinking? I never really catch him drinking. Maybe a few times. I got him a leaf water dripper and unsure if he uses it. As soon as I get home from work I take q spray bottle and squeeze it to make a little stream and will let him drink until he dont want anymore - incase he isnt getting enough urates r white tho

What kind of water are you using (tap, bottled purified, distilled, Reverse Osmosis)?
As mentioned I have switched between tap and distilled. I switched back to tap in the last couple months and now I'm back to using distilled
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings.
    All is normal. White irate brown solid poo...his urates changed to orange while he was on meds in April but all healthy looking since
Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?

Unfortunately no. Every time I've had a vet visit I didnt have any samples that were fresh enough to bring. Of course he would always poo after the vet tho

• History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you. Any previous vet visits?
    Last vet visit was in April with the owner of the vet I go to. She has owned chameleons her self. I will post a pic of her results for you to read

Cage Info:

• Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?)
    Screen 48x48x48
What are the dimensions?
^
Is your cage a “kit” from a pet store?
No
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of ALL lighting (UVB and basking) are you using?
    Basking is 150w 'basking spot' bulb. When looking for these in store it's a white box with a pic of a bearded dragon on it. I use 2 150watts in the winter months as it gets very cold in my room and cannot maintain correct temps without. Now that it is summer I use 1, 150w bulb. And with that temps remain around 80
Compact fluorescent (screw in curly bulb), T8, T5HO?
T5ho reptisun 10.0. Recently changed around april

What kind of fixture are you using for UVB (dome or linear)?
Dome

Please provide pics if possible.

What is your daily lighting schedule?
Lights on 9am lights off 9pm

How old is your UVB?
Last changed in April
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)?
    Basking highest I have managed to maintain is 80 sometimes drops to 75ish. I have struggled to get it higher . Ambient temps around 60 to 70
Lowest overnight temp?
Over the winter 52...now that it is summer around 60-70. We have not turned on the ac yet . I expect this to drop once we do

How do you measure these temps?
Digital probes
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels?
    During the winter I had a hard time maintain humidity so I wrapped a shower curtin around the cage. But since summer it remains 40 and up
How are you creating and maintaining these levels?
Natural- misting as explained above

What do you use to measure humidity?
Digital probe (the dual temp+humidity) I also have a little gauge for my room which reads close to same as it is near the cage
  • Plants - Are you using live plants?
    Back around February-april I had a rubber plant and schefferla now I just have a schefferla as it has grown big enough
If so, what kind?

• Placement - Where is your cage located?
    My living situation kind of sucks so my room is in the basement(its finished) I have a total of two rooms down here a living room section and my bed room. All my other animals are in the livint room and my chameleon is by himself in my bedroom to avoid high traffic and other pets
Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas?
I sleep with a fan but that's about it

At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
The cage does sit on my floor. I havent been able to find the right type of furniture that I could put it on.
  • Location - Where are you geographically located?
I'm located in Massachusetts

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about
That I'm sure you know

This is from vet

Attachments

• Screenshot_20180413-130927_Hancom Office Editor.jpg
    Screenshot_20180413-130927_Hancom Office Editor.jpg
    89.5 KB · Views: 107
H
Has the vet tried to do a culture and sensitivity of the eye. If it is infection and you aren't using an antibiotic the bug is sensitive to you won't eliminate it completely. You might be knocking it down with the terramycin but not enough to kill it completely. If that is the case replacing the wrapping of your branches or disinfecting could prevent reinfection.
An other thought would be to examine a smear of the eye discharge under the microscope or submit it for cytology (examination of the cells).

When this all started It was late at night and so I brought him to his vets sister vet who was the only one open at the time. Not very knowledgable but able to treat. Gave him oral antiinflammatory meds and antibiotic drops for eyes. He was to be on it for a week. The oral meds made him very mopey and lost appetite so they wanted me to discontinue those. He continued to bleed with the antibiotic drops so we continued for another week with no improvement. Because of that I took it upon myself to start using terramycin. He DID improve with this. I used that for a bit stopped then the bleeding came back so for two weeks straight I used it and he was clear from end of April until this past week it started again. I now have him back on the terramycin until I can get him back to the vet.

When I was last at the vet in April he wasnt bleed and hadn't for two weeks when I saw her so she told me she didnt want to try and fix something that wasnt broken because he wasnt showing signs of bleeding or anything. She went over possible cause of something being stuck in the membranes behind his eyes as they are deep which could cause irritation which I turn would cause him to rub and cause bleeding but said it would require surgery to determine that and she wanted to see if my two week treatment of terrimcyin had worked. She said if the bleeding happenings again to then bring him back for a culture and if at that point I want to proceed with blood tests and such we can. Which once I can get the funds saved up I will ( dealing with my own medical crisis right now so funds are rendered)
Havent been able to get a fecal done because I havent had a fresh one to bring in. Bad luck

The blood crusted pic is from last night the close ups are from before. I think it has something to do with the third lid in his eye but idk

Attachments

• Screenshot_20180430-204659_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20180430-204659_Gallery.jpg
    154.6 KB · Views: 195
  • Screenshot_20180430-204303_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20180430-204303_Gallery.jpg
    151.8 KB · Views: 177
  • 20180626_192603.jpg
    20180626_192603.jpg
    110.5 KB · Views: 186
Sorry ..so many posts just so much information
Heres aome links to the videos I took when feeding him the other night ...this is how bad it's gotten since his eyes

It's cool, the more info the better. I ned to get to bed but I'll look at it more in depth tomorrow. One thing I wanted to clarify first, you have down that you have a dome uvb and a linear uvb? I think it was a typo but wanted to check.

What other uvb strengths, brands and fixture styles have you tried?
To be honest I dont rememeber
I tried using a regular house flood lamp at one point too snd couldnt find one that my dome..after blowing thru money I know I got aggravated with that and just went back to the same bulb I've been is using. I use these bulbs for my dragons too and have had no issues with them as far as that

Attachments

• Screenshot_20180628-021437_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20180628-021437_Chrome.jpg
    106.1 KB · Views: 191
That bulb is way too hot!! There is your problem I believe. I use that same bulb for my bearded dragon and gets a basking temp of 110-120.

Use a household 60 watt or this 72w reveal bulb.

Please give this a try, feel bad for your guy!

Attachments

• 11A14D71-0D55-4FFC-8D5A-CCACA56C5273.jpeg
    11A14D71-0D55-4FFC-8D5A-CCACA56C5273.jpeg
    132.9 KB · Views: 186
Back
Top Bottom