DIY Aluminum 8020 Quick Frame Enclosure Build

Hi. Post COVID, prices for aluminum are staring to come down. When I bought my 8020, the full frame was just under $500. $90 for the PVC sides. $60 for the screens. $40 for the silicone caulking. All said, the enclosure, without the mechanicals was roughly $700.
Was it worth the cost? I’m looking to build one myself . I don’t know if I’m thinking over board and just should but a reptibreeze cage again.

Was it worth the cost? I’m looking to build one myself . I don’t know if I’m thinking over board and just should but a reptibreeze cage again.
I originally wanted something large and robust. The terrarium frames I saw at most pet stores were too thin for what I was after. Plus, there would be significant upgrades we would want on them. I settled on the DragonStrand Atrium (@ $720) but they no longer offered them. So I moved to this DIY terrarium. My son and I have worked on it together, so that for me made it fun and well worth it. The prize will be the future occupant!

Last edited:
Lighting!!

Finishing up lighting and temperature control. The UVB light arrived and I installed at the top of the enclosure near the middle. Basking light is at the back left, above the basking branch. Arrangements are shown in the pictures below. Basking to branch distance is 9”. Suggestions welcome.
IMG_2948.jpeg

IMG_2946.jpeg

IMG_2945.jpeg

IMG_2950.jpeg

My UVB setup is ARCADIA 6% UVB T5 HO in a Vivarium Electronics T5 HO Fixture. I’m going to get the UVB meter to ensure I have the right levels. For basking temperature regulation, I bought a Herpstat 1 temperature controller. The basking light dimmer control works great. It regulates the basking temperature to 87 deg F well. Is this temperature probe mounting OK for the chameleon?

IMG_2947.jpeg

IMG_2949.jpeg

Probe mounting is fine if it is in the direct path of the heat... Drop your basking temp down though... With these you want to do a few degrees lower than what you want them exposed to because it gets hotter the closer they get. If your getting a baby make sure your herpstat is set at 79 then basking exposure will be in the 81-82 range max. Remember exposure for adult males (both Panther and Veiled) is 85 max. I do have my fixture lifted off the cage 4 inches to ensure there is not a thermal burn risk. Depending on bulb wattage 9 inches may be a bit close especially with an adult cham that can rise up off the branch 4-5 inches.

What I love about these especially when your running a lot of lights is that if the cage heats up from the other lights the basking will dim down or off to compensate.

Probe mounting is fine if it is in the direct path of the heat... Drop your basking temp down though... With these you want to do a few degrees lower than what you want them exposed to because it gets hotter the closer they get. If your getting a baby make sure your herpstat is set at 79 then basking exposure will be in the 81-82 range max. Remember exposure for adult males (both Panther and Veiled) is 85 max. I do have my fixture lifted off the cage 4 inches to ensure there is not a thermal burn risk. Depending on bulb wattage 9 inches may be a bit close especially with an adult cham that can rise up off the branch 4-5 inches.

What I love about these especially when your running a lot of lights is that if the cage heats up from the other lights the basking will dim down or off to compensate.
I’ll lower the temperature tonight. As far as the basking light distance, I’m limited by my ceiling space. I can bring it up another 1/2” max. This is a deep dome fixture. So, I get 3” spacing from the bulb to base. I could adjust the branch lower if that would risk burning. Thoughts?

I’ll lower the temperature tonight. As far as the basking light distance, I’m limited by my ceiling space. I can bring it up another 1/2” max. This is a deep dome fixture. So, I get 3” spacing from the bulb to base. I could adjust the branch lower if that would risk burning. Thoughts?
Ok good if it is a deep dome then that should be good. I just didn't want you to have to deal with the bulb directly on the screen like some domes are. This amplifies the risk of a burn.

Tomorrow is a BIG day! With months of prep, we are welcoming a baby cham. Some final updates since last post:

1-Plants are filling out nicely. I had to move several pots either away from direct light and/or the mist heads. Did a first trim today.

2-Installed a large PC fan on top, blowing air into the terrarium. It’s on a temp control as well. Kicks on when the terrarium heats up beyond 70.

3-Created a DIY drip system with 5x1GPM heads. Water fed from the main reservoir, same as mister.

4-Installed a water top off system for a standard 5 gallon RODI water. The water refills both all reservoirs, including fogger.

5-Ring 1080HD pan and tilt stick up cam so my boys can watch the activity without the temptation to hold the little dude. Also, I can monitor him for health reasons.

IMG_3796.jpeg

IMG_3799.jpeg

IMG_3803.jpeg
IMG_3797.jpeg
IMG_3800.jpeg
IMG_3801.jpeg

I’ll post first pictures tomorrow. The family is excited!

Almost forgot the minions….

View attachment 343722
Looks fantastic... Just to note with the pc fans on top you actually want them pulling air up and out not aimed to blow air in. You want to be able to cycle the air inside and this is the best way to do so otherwise you are messing with ambient temps by blowing it into the cage. And you are not pulling out stagnant air your just blowing it around inside.

Looks fantastic... Just to note with the pc fans on top you actually want them pulling air up and out not aimed to blow air in. You want to be able to cycle the air inside and this is the best way to do so otherwise you are messing with ambient temps by blowing it into the cage. And you are not pulling out stagnant air your just blowing it around inside.
Great advice, will change.

Back
Top Bottom