DIY Aluminum 8020 Quick Frame Enclosure Build

Aired out the enclosure and started the indoor setup. Went ‘shopping’ for sticks at the park and sterilized with heat. With the sticks cooked, mounted in the enclosure and moved our plants in. Can you find the preying mantis in the pic?
385F96DC-9600-430C-BFD4-A2C47295EF4E.jpeg

Attachments

• 088DE672-6E3E-404A-A55E-0D3496D9EACF.jpeg
    088DE672-6E3E-404A-A55E-0D3496D9EACF.jpeg
    300.4 KB · Views: 72
  • F3DD13DA-6961-4AC5-986D-747863DB37FF.jpeg
    F3DD13DA-6961-4AC5-986D-747863DB37FF.jpeg
    540.6 KB · Views: 68
Aired out the enclosure and started the indoor setup. Went ‘shopping’ for sticks at the park and sterilized with heat. With the sticks cooked, mounted in the enclosure and moved our plants in. Can you find the preying mantis in the pic? View attachment 337181
Really nice branches... I would replace the floral wire with zip ties and cross latch them to your supports. THen clean cut the zip tie so nothing sharp is hanging out. Floral wire in a cage can pose an issue because it is very sharp. Can pose risk for injury.

Really nice branches... I would replace the floral wire with zip ties and cross latch them to your supports. THen clean cut the zip tie so nothing sharp is hanging out. Floral wire in a cage can pose an issue because it is very sharp. Can pose risk for injury.
I though I was being smart with the coated wire. But your point makes sense. I’ll replace with zip ties this week. Thanks!

Yeah it's 2in eps and I used a blow torch to shape it and then painted it with several different colors. Did that on walls and back. I love it and it really blends in well with the plants
It really is awesome! 🔥 I love seeing your guys builds it really inspires me for the future

Corrected the mounting with Zip Ties. Found some nice UV resistant brown and green color. Blends in fairly nice.

Drip tray comes in tomorrow. I’ll work on the MisterKing install this weekend.

IMG_2810.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_2807.jpeg
    IMG_2807.jpeg
    276 KB · Views: 59
MisterKing installed! I 3D printed a set of corner supports. They worked well.

I have decent coverage with four mister heads. Two in the center and one each side. A bit of water dripping down outside of the drip tray. Working that out next.

View attachment 337423View attachment 337424View attachment 337425
Is there a base below the egg crate that has holes in it? Just making sure you do not have over drip since you have electronics below it. Looks really good. That pan is shallow so I would consider a wet vac to pull water from it or a deeper pan that fits there that you could plumb drainage through into a bucket for easy removal.

Is there a base below the egg crate that has holes in it? Just making sure you do not have over drip since you have electronics below it. Looks really good. That pan is shallow so I would consider a wet vac to pull water from it or a deeper pan that fits there that you could plumb drainage through into a bucket for easy removal.
Thanks! Yes, that’s egg crate. The bottom is has a screen under the crate. I struggled to find a drip pan of that length with > 1” height. I bought a bucket head wet vac to suck out the water when it can’t manage the water carefully. I may plumb a drain. Still thinking about it :/

I’ve also bought thick clear vinyl sheets to help with the side drips. I had some splashing on the sides from the misting test run. I’ll post a pic of the solution later.

Last edited:
Im not going to say that the white square pattern ceiling diffuser for a base wont get super brittle and disintegrate under uv lights, but mine did...

Back
Top Bottom