DIY cage, aluminum screen frame sizing?

I'm looking into building a custom screen cage out of window screen framing. The build is going to be very similar to this. I'm thinking about making it bioactive with a thick layer of soil and live plants, meaning that there will be a decent amount of weight that the cage will have to support. I took a look at some aluminum framing at my local hardware store and only saw one size (the 5/16" by 3/8") and I was kind of worried about it being too flimsy for the weight.
I found some different sizing options online, but I can't really gauge how much thicker/sturdier the different sizes are.

It looks like the size 5/16x1" and 7/16x1" both use a slightly thicker material than the one I saw at home depot/menards.
Between those, I'm thinking of grabbing the 5/16"x1" over the 7/16x1", because I think 7/16 might be a little too wide if I need to screw two 7/16 pieces to a 1" piece.

Does anybody have experience with these materials, that can tell me if it'll be good enough for a heavier setup like I'm planning?

Last edited:
Honestly would prob be better off and a bit cheaper to make a wood framed enclosure, then just polyurethane seal the wood, and run some silicone beading along seams afterwards. That way you have the peace of mind that it can bare the weight of the soil. Also with framing it out of wood you would be able make a somewhat deeper type bottom to allow for the soil. Just a thought.

I'm looking into building a custom screen cage out of window screen framing. The build is going to be very similar to this. I'm thinking about making it bioactive with a thick layer of soil and live plants, meaning that there will be a decent amount of weight that the cage will have to support.
You're correct that it's going to be a lot of weight. I would modify your design so that the weight is borne by something other than the screen.

Hydra_cosplay's suggestion of a wooden frame is one way (and probably the easiest, least expensive, tried & true); another is using something heavier (e.g. aluminum tubing or PVC) for the primary frame members that the screens can attach to or slide into.
Some examples: (There are many other ideas too)
1597152519352.png
1597152694865.png
1597152725670.png

https://8020.net/framing-options/quickframe.html

I’ve made screens for cages before and they’re kind of tough in my opinion. The aluminum is real soft and depending on the type of screen, be careful the tightness that you spline it in because it’ll warp your perfect frame so quick. You’ll have to keep pulling it out and redoing it. My best luck has been making sure the screen thatched pattern goes parallel with the frame So it doesn’t pull it a certain direction.
I’ve stuck with making these hybrid ones and made it the standard now. Just have to make a screen top, side, and door. There’s a privacy wall on the side so you can put multiple chams side by side, and there’s 18” all around the bottom to make bioactive with a drain or add a lay bin

Attachments

• 0891B3D9-BD85-4ADA-AF8E-106CA5C438BE.jpeg
    0891B3D9-BD85-4ADA-AF8E-106CA5C438BE.jpeg
    238.2 KB · Views: 144
Honestly would prob be better off and a bit cheaper to make a wood framed enclosure, then just polyurethane seal the wood, and run some silicone beading along seams afterwards. That way you have the peace of mind that it can bare the weight of the soil. Also with framing it out of wood you would be able make a somewhat deeper type bottom to allow for the soil. Just a thought.
My current build is actually made of wood, and a big motivator to switch to aluminum window framing is so that I can more easily repair the screen when it gets damaged. I have ugly hunks of tape over some holes from things like my bass guitar falling onto the cage. I can't fix them because the screen is stapled to the inside of the enclosure.

of course, there is a benefit to being able to just screw hooks into any part of the frame to attach the inner habitat
20200811_105133.jpg

You're correct that it's going to be a lot of weight. I would modify your design so that the weight is borne by something other than the screen.

Hydra_cosplay's suggestion of a wooden frame is one way (and probably the easiest, least expensive, tried & true); another is using something heavier (e.g. aluminum tubing or PVC) for the primary frame members that the screens can attach to or slide into.
Some examples: (There are many other ideas too)
https://8020.net/framing-options/quickframe.html

I really like your idea of using 80/20's quickframe for this! I hand't found that but I could just get the cheaper screen material and screw that onto a sturdy frame made of that! that also fixes some ugliness/jankiness with the door stop that would've made it harder to create a bin to put the dirt into.
something like this for the walls might just do the trick!

though I can see the final price tag just goin up and up and up as I dig more into this project lol

My current build is actually made of wood, and a big motivator to switch to aluminum window framing is so that I can more easily repair the screen when it gets damaged. I have ugly hunks of tape over some holes from things like my bass guitar falling onto the cage. I can't fix them because the screen is stapled to the inside of the enclosure.

of course, there is a benefit to being able to just screw hooks into any part of the frame to attach the inner habitat
View attachment 274519
Ahhh gotcha, would be kinda a pain to replace the screen, especially getting it tight again.

I’ve made screens for cages before and they’re kind of tough in my opinion. The aluminum is real soft and depending on the type of screen, be careful the tightness that you spline it in because it’ll warp your perfect frame so quick. You’ll have to keep pulling it out and redoing it. My best luck has been making sure the screen thatched pattern goes parallel with the frame So it doesn’t pull it a certain direction.
I’ve stuck with making these hybrid ones and made it the standard now. Just have to make a screen top, side, and door. There’s a privacy wall on the side so you can put multiple chams side by side, and there’s 18” all around the bottom to make bioactive with a drain or add a lay bin

Your enclosure definitely looks pretty sturdy. How would you feel about a somewhat hefty bioactive situation in a screen enclosure without the wood reinforcement? Would it be a little too heavy?
I'm still not sure if I can get away with just a thicker gauge screen frame, or if I have to go all in and get some of the hardcore framing material that Klyde O'Scope linked

I also hit up the local Habitat 4Humanity stores and check out their screens. You can normally almost always find ones that much up to what you need. Plus only $2 each. You’re welcome

Attachments

• B76F51E2-2050-4A16-9125-0C27C50533CC.jpeg
    B76F51E2-2050-4A16-9125-0C27C50533CC.jpeg
    203 KB · Views: 132
Oh sorry. It’s actually 1$ per screen and now I have enough for three cages and an outdoor enclosure build

Attachments

• FDD08BA5-114F-4D48-BA56-2F1726601566.jpeg
    FDD08BA5-114F-4D48-BA56-2F1726601566.jpeg
    210.3 KB · Views: 131
I also hit up the local Habitat 4Humanity stores and check out their screens. You can normally almost always find ones that much up to what you need. Plus only $2 each. You’re welcome
Oh sorry. It’s actually 1$ per screen and now I have enough for three cages and an outdoor enclosure build
I never knew they had stores. I looked it up and the closest one to me is 90 minutes away.

I really like your idea of using 80/20's quickframe for this! I hand't found that but I could just get the cheaper screen material and screw that onto a sturdy frame made of that! that also fixes some ugliness/jankiness with the door stop that would've made it harder to create a bin to put the dirt into.
something like this for the walls might just do the trick!

though I can see the final price tag just goin up and up and up as I dig more into this project lol
Yes, there is that. An interesting coincidence(?) I found is that a "standard" 5/16" (0.3125") screen frame slides near-perfectly into a Quick Frame channel.
https://8020.net/media/catalog/prod...de70892d86c6d221abfe/9/0/9025_dimensional.png

Cutting grooves into the corner posts that screens can slide into is one possible solution.

1597238574140.png

I never knew [Habitat for Humanity] had stores. I looked it up and the closest one to me is 90 minutes away.
...and we've got 2 within 15 miles. :oops:
It makes sense that places like that would locate near urban centers or where there's a lot of building re-hab going on.

You might extend your search to include any reclaimed, recycled, repurposed (etc.) building materials.
Closeout & surplus building materials are other areas that don't always show up on the above search.

Talking with small companies, contractors, or people who do remodeling may also be helpful—IDK. :unsure:

Back
Top Bottom