DIY Aluminum 8020 Quick Frame Enclosure Build

Added clear vinyl splash guards on each side. After the next mist soaking the area was dry. I’ll look to install a drain next.

IMG_2829.jpeg

IMG_2831.jpeg

Love this! You do wonderful work. And Marley approved lol. Such a beautiful cat!
Appreciate the kind words. Marley loves the basket bins under the terrarium. I now need to leave one empty for her. By the way, any issues with raising a Cham with curious kitties?

Appreciate the kind words. Marley loves the basket bins under the terrarium. I now need to leave one empty for her. By the way, any issues with raising a Cham with curious kitties?
Yes and no... If the cage can be cut into by a cat then yes. We have a kitten that I can not let into my room without me being there because the front of Beman's cage is clear marine vinyl that he can cut through. Right now he is too curious about Beman for me to be comfortable.

If the cat has never been outside so is is not used to hunting and the cage is secure and he can not get into it then you should be ok. I would watch behavior and make sure you have a ton of plant cover. The cat should be used to the cage and plants by the time you get the chameleon. Chameleons move slowly so most cats tend not to notice them. Just always be cautious.

Beman was raised with a dog being around. So he tends to not get upset seeing other larger animals but I also have his cage up high as well. So he towers over them. The cham will notice what is in the room with it. It may be a little stressed at first but once it realizes that the animal can not get into his cage he should start to calm down.

With all that said. I would stay on your guard. Cats, dogs, and other animals do pose a threat to chams. So ensure the cat is locked up if you take the cham out and never assume that it is 100% safe. :)

Marley has is strictly an indoor cat. The cage is high up. And given the materials used in this build, she can’t get in. So far, she could care less about the terrarium. BUT, the crickets (for the preying mantis) are another story! She keeps a close eye on them. When one escapes, she won’t kill it, but follows it intensely. I always know where one has escaped. Marley tells me!

Marley has is strictly an indoor cat. The cage is high up. And given the materials used in this build, she can’t get in. So far, she could care less about the terrarium. BUT, the crickets (for the preying mantis) are another story! She keeps a close eye on them. When one escapes, she won’t kill it, but follows it intensely. I always know where one has escaped. Marley tells me!
Sounds like you will be good. Just keep an eye on their interaction. Marley sounds pretty laid back.

I Installed my Leap fogger and tested the coverage. Looks pretty good from my standpoint. Aside from a dripper, the hydration setup is done. I’ve installed Govee H5074 temp/humidity sensors on top and
Bottom of the terrarium. I’ll keep an eye on the data and setup the hydration schedule.

Speaking of schedules, I’ve added a Kasa HS300 6 Outlet switch to automate the system. I use Kasa switches all throughout the house, they are really nice and easy to setup.

Setup for hydration will follow the guidance from Mr. Strand. The data will tell us what needs to be altered for our future family member Panther Cham.

Moving on the completing the branch network…

IMG_2870.jpeg

IMG_2892.jpeg

IMG_2872.jpeg

IMG_2891.jpeg

Went network branch ‘shopping’ in the woods. Found the really nice ones! Like the others we washed and baked @ 250degF for > 30 min.

Started with the major network branches, including the basking branch. The basking branch is in the back 2” and 6-8” height from the top. Advice on this initial setup is welcome!

IMG_2887.jpeg

IMG_2888.jpeg

Went network branch ‘shopping’ in the woods. Found the really nice ones! Like the others we washed and baked @ 250degF for > 30 min.

Started with the major network branches, including the basking branch. The basking branch is in the back 2” and 6-8” height from the top. Advice on this initial setup is welcome!

View attachment 338058

View attachment 338059
Just double check temps for basking. I typically have a greater distance than 6-8 inches to branch to ensure there is not a thermal burn risk.

Just double check temps for basking. I typically have a greater distance than 6-8 inches to branch to ensure there is not a thermal burn risk.
Thanks! I have this guy waiting to be installed. What’s the best temp regulator to dim this?

image.jpg

Rearranged the network branches several times today. I settled on this arrangement. Will get the basking light and UVB shortly to take temp and UV measurements. Arrangement look ok to this forum?

IMG_2895.jpeg

IMG_2897.jpeg

IMG_2896.jpeg

Your setup is looking sweet. Do you have a uv meter? @Beman is our lighting expert. I can't afford the meter so she helped me with branch heights
Thanks! No, I don’t have a UV meter. I’ve got one saved in my Amazon cart and can’t hit the button for the price…lol! Maybe once I get the light. Right now, my focus is on the terrarium setup.

How much did you project run? I was thinking of doing an 80/20 build, however I was thinking about using 10/10 aluminum extrusion instead.

How much did you project run? I was thinking of doing an 80/20 build, however I was thinking about using 10/10 aluminum extrusion instead.
Hi. Post COVID, prices for aluminum are staring to come down. When I bought my 8020, the full frame was just under $500. $90 for the PVC sides. $60 for the screens. $40 for the silicone caulking. All said, the enclosure, without the mechanicals was roughly $700.

Back
Top Bottom