DIY Aluminum 8020 Quick Frame Enclosure Build

Oh yes! We are not rushing into bringing a new Cham into this forever home until late spring (May/June). Lots more building and research to be done. So the terrarium will certainly air out.

Added the acrylic panels and screen sections tonight. Tomorrow will seal the panels within the flanges with aquarium silicone. Things are starting to take shape.

I’m going to get some egg crate lighting covers for the bottom screen and reinforce the
this section with aluminum bar. I plan to place potted plants on the bottom.

For a drip pan, I like this option.

CA47A5E0-CB20-44CB-954F-E94C10744B67.jpeg

https://www.grainger.com/product/DIVERSITECH-Drain-Pan-30-in-Lg-In-3HAJ9

Last edited:
Next up, installing the background. I chose Cork 12x12” tiles from a recommendation on this forum. Very reasonable. Fastened into place with Silicone 1. Filled gaps with silicone and Coconut fiber. Will finish both side panels next.

Question: Need to think about moving this into the final position in the house. I’d like a wire rack to mount the terrarium on top of, but can’t find one of proper dimensions. Any suggestions for a 50”x26”? Most I see are too small

D9E6C057-5988-4C93-9228-6732D8790CC3.jpeg

E7D1ED6E-B6E6-4312-9D74-31E4953E35EA.jpeg

I just want to say that I am jealous of your skill. I was so proud of my lil self for building an outside enclosure out of wood. :hilarious:
I greatly admire people that can do the stuff that you are with this enclosure. I get nervous just using a jigsaw. :LOL:

I just want to say that I am jealous of your skill. I was so proud of my lil self for building an outside enclosure out of wood. :hilarious:
I greatly admire people that can do the stuff that you are with this enclosure. I get nervous just using a jigsaw. :LOL:
Thank you! I started out thinking one weekend combining two ZooMed enclosures!

Lots of cool resources on this forum. It’s made the build easier and fun to do!

Thank you! I started out thinking one weekend combining two ZooMed enclosures!

Lots of cool resources on this forum. It’s made the build easier and fun to do!
Helps that you have the tools and the know how to do this type of thing. ;) Don't sell yourself short.

I'm in love with this! My Jackson's is currently in a temporary cage so I'm hoping to build a custom for him like this one! any chance you have a build design drawn out that you could share? 👀 Seeing the progress is amazing!

I'm in love with this! My Jackson's is currently in a temporary cage so I'm hoping to build a custom for him like this one! any chance you have a build design drawn out that you could share? 👀 Seeing the progress is amazing!
Thanks. I sketched a design, but at not entirely accurate from what you see here. I had to make some adjustments during the build.

Thank you for the tips! I’ve been looking at PVC sheets. I’m looking today at this one from Menards. It has a wood grain design. Was thinking to paint it with drylok brown and black/white accents.

View attachment 335015

For those 8020 connectors which were loose fitting (shouldn’t be the case, but I had a few), did you add something to the connector to secure it better?
That’s quite the handy panel

Back
Top Bottom