continuous dark colored veiled cham

LeahMcL

My 8 month old veiled chameleon Apollo has been dark for the last day and a half and I know I need to get a lot more plants but I just upgraded from a small reptibreeze to an extra large. He seemed to be doing okay for about 3 weeks until yesterday. I am just wondering if he is stressed about the season changes or if its with shedding? The only time he settles down is when I play my guitar which is why I named him Apollo! Also is there any way I can get him to let me take him out to clean his cage more thouroughly because lately he has been trying to bite me and I dont want to hurt him or me. Thanks a lot!
Chameleon Info:
Your Chameleon - The veiled, male, and 8 months old . I have had him for 6 months.
Handling - Almost never as he tends to bite. Wish I could but dont want to hurt the little guy.
Feeding - Crickets? About 16 a day? 6:30am? Flukers Orange Cubes?
Supplements - Exoterra calcium+D3 every 3 days?
Watering - Ice cube, dripper, spray bottle? About 2 for about 6 minutes? Yes?
Fecal Description - Completely white sometimes some brown on the edges. No?
History - No
Cage Info:
Cage Type - Screen Extra Large Repibreeze. (24x24x48 inches)
Lighting - Zoomed double dome, model,
6:30am-9:00pm
Temperature - 90)? About 85? Thermometer
Humidity - Medium? Mister? Hyrdometer?
Plants - No?
Placement - Where is your cage located? On a desk about 2 feet off the floor. No fans or vents nearby and pretty low traffic.
Location - Spokane, Washington

I dont have any live plants and I do need more which I will get. Thanks I sure hope it is not a sickness and what kind of sickness would have these symptoms? I am just very concern and want him to be as healthy as possible and thanks for the help! I will keep check on him a much as possible.

You're welcome! and i am not sure what sickness it would be. he may also be shedding, just keep watch, or if you get really concerned take him it a vet. it would probably be the best option

And i am reccomeneding hibiscus because it isnt toxic that i know of. you can look at the plants on recources on here. :):)

Hi there, I am not familiar with zoomed double dome, is it UVB? Most people recommend the reptisun 5.0 linear tube or the repti glo . You also need a basking light, either 60 watt house hold bulb or basking bulb. You need to measure the temperature and humidity with a dual in one being highly recommended, you can purchase one at home depot or lowes for 10 bucks. Your supplementation needs adjusting as well. Calcium without vit d3 and phosphorous free at every feeding and calcium with d3 only twice a month and a multivitamin once a month. Your crickets should also be fed fruits and vegetables (check out sandrachameleons blogs for good gut load) and a variety of feeders And real plants

My 8 month old veiled chameleon Apollo has been dark for the last day and a half and I know I need to get a lot more plants but I just upgraded from a small reptibreeze to an extra large. He seemed to be doing okay for about 3 weeks until yesterday. I am just wondering if he is stressed about the season changes or if its with shedding? The only time he settles down is when I play my guitar which is why I named him Apollo! Also is there any way I can get him to let me take him out to clean his cage more thouroughly because lately he has been trying to bite me and I dont want to hurt him or me. Thanks a lot!
Chameleon Info:
Your Chameleon - The veiled, male, and 8 months old . I have had him for 6 months.
Handling - Almost never as he tends to bite. Wish I could but dont want to hurt the little guy.
Feeding - Crickets? About 16 a day? 6:30am? Flukers Orange Cubes? Gutload needs improvement, add fresh veggies and fruits. The Orange Cubes aren't really good at all
Supplements - Exoterra calcium+D3 every 3 days? Your way over supplementing, you want to give a calcium with no D3 or phosphorous daily, calcium with D3 twice and month, and a multivitamin twice a month
Watering - Ice cube, dripper, spray bottle? About 2 for about 6 minutes? Yes? Mist 3-5 times a day for a few minutes each misting, a dripper is a good idea
Fecal Description - Completely white sometimes some brown on the edges. No? The white is urate, if it's all white then you cham is well hydrated, the brown is feces
History - No
Cage Info:
Cage Type - Screen Extra Large Repibreeze. (24x24x48 inches)
Lighting - Zoomed double dome, model, You need a 5.0 Tube UVB, if you have a spiral get rid of it, it can cause health/eye problems which may be part of his problems. Remember, no night light
6:30am-9:00pm Standard is 12 on and 12 off, your light is on way too long
Temperature - 90)? About 85? Thermometer What are your temps around the whole enclosure, top to bottom? This can also be a problem
Humidity - Medium? Mister? Hyrdometer? What percentage of humidity?
Plants - No? Add live plants, they help with humidity. Veileds also tend to eat their plants, some veggies and fruits as well. Most common plants are ficus, Dwarf umbrella plant, hibiscus, and pothos. My guys loves both the umbrella and ficus. You can easily buy these at home depot for $10 each
Placement - Where is your cage located? On a desk about 2 feet off the floor. No fans or vents nearby and pretty low traffic.
Location - Spokane, Washington

Welcome to the forum, this is a great place to learn and get some help :) Your husbandry needs some work, please post some pics of your setup and we can see any other problems.

For starts..
Feeding- I know for panthers by that age they should be fed less... They WILL eat but I do know that veilds need veggies as well... Maybe every other day with insects

Supplements- A schedule with Calcium without D3 at every feeding, Calcium WITH D3 twice a month, and Multivitamin twice a month is recommended

Fecal- He should have a PROMINENT brown chunk with a white end... This may be a sign of an intestinal problem?

Lighting- For those who dont know the double dome also uses a red bulb for heat along with a basking bulb... If I'm not mistaken... This has to go. If you don't have a UVB bulb on that cage I would be very worried about his status indeed especially if it has been this long. He needs a basking bulb 40-60 watts and a UVB 5.0 (reptisun is preferred)

Temps/Humidity- This is VERY important to be POSITIVE of because the darkness can be directly related to the temperature inside the cage being too hot. And humidity needs to be known as well as they can become dehydrated without the proper balance.

Plants- Though they are not required per say but they are immensely recommended as they help balance the humidity. Hopefully with these changes you can see a change in him... Or maybe a senior member will know a bit more than me

You can overdose on the vitamin d3. What are you using to measure your temps?

Unfortunately since I dont see ANYTHING about a UVB I fear that this supplementing he's been doing is the only source of D3 he is getting

Unfortunately since I dont see ANYTHING about a UVB I fear that this supplementing he's been doing is the only source of D3 he is getting

That zoomed may be a spiral compact UVB, but I am not sure the damn pet stores always recommend them:mad:

For starts..

Lighting- For those who dont know the double dome also uses a red bulb for heat along with a basking bulb... If I'm not mistaken... This has to go. If you don't have a UVB bulb on that cage I would be very worried about his status indeed especially if it has been this long. He needs a basking bulb 40-60 watts and a UVB 5.0 (reptisun is preferred)

Actually you can put a spiral UVB in the double dome along with the basking light, pet store employees continually try to sell the double dome as it's two in one :rolleyes: I actually have one (for the reason as winter approaches and my house tends to be at 60 degrees) so I can put a lower wattage bulb in the other dome to keep temps up and still have a basking light. They're still somewhat useful :rolleyes:

Actually you can put a spiral UVB in the double dome along with the basking light, pet store employees continually try to sell the double dome as it's two in one :rolleyes: I actually have one (for the reason as winter approaches and my house tends to be at 60 degrees) so I can put a lower wattage bulb in the other dome to keep temps up and still have a basking light. They're still somewhat useful :rolleyes:

I have one too, just ditched the spiral the pet store sold me :)

I actually didn't know that it could fit a spiral UVB? Thats actually kinda nifty.. If in fact people in the normal world outside the forums could figure that one out through all the bull given by big chain pet stores lol:p

Back
Top Bottom