Can someone answer this without the judgement please...

If the cut is near the toe it's not looking infected- yet. It seems you've done a good job cleaning it.
If he weren't a lizard liquid band aid might work, but the stuff gets stuck to the top layer of human skin which sheds off over a long amount of time. Lizards don't have the same skin we do.
It's good to know that you can use neosporin though! (the basic stuff) I'll keep that in my "just in case" file.
Yes, that's the cut right below the toes, and thanks! I used saline and just rinsed it because I was afraid to use anything else.

I should have been more specific that it was right below his toes, rather than just on the bottom of his foot ?

?‍♂️Oh i feel so dumb hahahah ouch i see it now! Keep it clean and monitor it heavily! as long as it doesn't get infected or he re-opens it, it should heal fine.

OK, but that kinda takes all the fun out... :rolleyes:

I'm really curious about this, and I'd probably press a vet on why or why not.

My SWAG is that the ointment may collect more dirt than it keeps out and/or not wanting it to be ingested, but... ( ?‍♂️ Dunno). I may ask a vet friend about it if I happen to think of it, but for pandemic reasons, I have no idea when that might be.

WOW! That right there is enough to make me ignore everything he said! (KIDDING! :p) :rolleyes:
+1 (y)(y)

The only difference I find between neo- & poly- sporins is that:

For cleaning, I would think peroxide should be safe (I would NOT use alcohol). There should be info on this in the archives.

FWIW, the cut didn't look all that bad to me, but I know the eyes of a concerned "parent" can make a paper cut look like the Grand Canyon. Here's a similar thread in the Health forum right now:
https://www.chameleonforums.com/threads/strange-cut-on-his-foot.177272/
Looks like a similar-sized cut as well.

The difference in whether to use an ointment or not is (IMO) location of the cut. In this thread, it's on the bottom of the foot where it's likely to get dirt in it, whereas the other cut is on the elbow, where it's less likely to get dirt in it.

I asked the vet yesterday to clarify why she said NOT to use polysporin or neosporin on your cham. She said that the oils prevent their skin from breathing and it actually slows the healing process. Although it prevents infection, it further delays their recovery ? She said it isn't at all a matter of worrying they will ingest it, but she said silvadine is the best thing to use and it allows their skin to breath while it's healing (in most cases, but there are exceptions of course).

She did examine him, but of course he was not cooperative (who likes the vet?) . She wanted to see him walk to make sure he didn't have any neurological issues, and of course he wouldn't unclamp his foot so he fell over twice like a big angry dork ?

She had something she said was the "equivalent" to liquid band-aid but safe for his skin that would seal it to keep it clean, but will come off with the next shed.

I asked the vet yesterday to clarify why she said NOT to use polysporin or neosporin on your cham. She said that the oils prevent their skin from breathing and it actually slows the healing process. Although it prevents infection, it further delays their recovery ? She said it isn't at all a matter of worrying they will ingest it, but she said silvadine is the best thing to use and it allows their skin to breath while it's healing (in most cases, but there are exceptions of course).
Excellent! Thanks for the update.

(who likes the vet?)
Oddly enough, my big friendly Labbie—he :love: all his vets. We've had to plan trips so as not to drive past the animal hospitals, cuz he gets so excited he goes nutz. ?

She had something she said was the "equivalent" to liquid band-aid but safe for his skin that would seal it to keep it clean, but will come off with the next shed.
(y)(y)

Excellent! Thanks for the update.

Oddly enough, my big friendly Labbie—he :love: all his vets. We've had to plan trips so as not to drive past the animal hospitals, cuz he gets so excited he goes nutz. ?

(y)(y)

Don't dogs eat their own ?? ? ?Sometimes they seem really intelligent, but then it's like ?

Don't dogs eat their own ?? ? ?Sometimes they seem really intelligent, but then it's like ?
Except in the case of bitches cleaning up after their pups (which is normal), it's usually not a problem unless there's a medical reason.
Of seven dogs in our family, and many more I've known & trained, only one exhibited the behavior, and then only with cat ?. As it turned out, there was a metabolic issue.

Coprophagia occurs in cats as well.

Dogs (and cats, for that matter) are smart (comparatively) but they're dog & cat smart—not people smart. The key to training either to living in our world is to understand how they think. ;)

Except in the case of bitches cleaning up after their pups (which is normal), it's usually not a problem unless there's a medical reason.
Of seven dogs in our family, and many more I've known & trained, only one exhibited the behavior, and then only with cat ?. As it turned out, there was a metabolic issue.

Coprophagia occurs in cats as well.

Dogs (and cats, for that matter) are smart (comparatively) but they're dog & cat smart—not people smart. The key to training either to living in our world is to understand how they think. ;)

I guess they must think "hey dude! A tootsie roll!! ?"

I guess they must think "hey dude! A tootsie roll!! ?"
Yeah, that was pretty much the joke. We had to section off the litter box, even though it was covered.
None of the other dogs have ever shown any interest.

But when you think about it, cats can eat some pretty disgusting things too. Most—if not all—carnivores & omnivores do, including humans. It's all a matter of perspective & cultural norms.

gross things humans eat (if you dare... :p )

Yeah, that was pretty much the joke. We had to section off the litter box, even though it was covered.
None of the other dogs have ever shown any interest.

But when you think about it, cats can eat some pretty disgusting things too. Most—if not all—carnivores & omnivores do, including humans. It's all a matter of perspective & cultural norms.

gross things humans eat (if you dare... :p )

Very true! Our cats were always good and catching (and eating) any roaches that dared to come out at night! That was all fine, but I tried my best to save the lizards from them if any got in the house. Funny how smart lizards are though because they would play dead if the cat was batting them around ? dumb cat! As soon as they could, they'd make a run for it ?
When it's all said and done, man vs beast, I'm glad to be human ?

Very true! Our cats were always good and catching (and eating) any roaches that dared to come out at night! That was all fine, but I tried my best to save the lizards from them if any got in the house. Funny how smart lizards are though because they would play dead if the cat was batting them around ? dumb cat! As soon as they could, they'd make a run for it ?
When it's all said and done, man vs beast, I'm glad to be human ?
IDK if that's smarts or instinct (like possums playing possum) or something like myotonia congenita (fainting goat syndrome).

Our cat was... useless. One of those cats that didn't know how to be a cat. A mouse could run across the floor right (and I mean right) in front of her, and she'd just sit there watching it like, "Huh, there goes a mouse. Whaddaya know?" Then stand up and walk away in the opposite direction.

...And the main reason we got the cat was to catch mice. It was an old 19th C. fixer-upper house.

Stupid cat.

IDK if that's smarts or instinct (like possums playing possum) or something like myotonia congenita (fainting goat syndrome).

Our cat was... useless. One of those cats that didn't know how to be a cat. A mouse could run across the floor right (and I mean right) in front of her, and she'd just sit there watching it like, "Huh, there goes a mouse. Whaddaya know?" Then stand up and walk away in the opposite direction.

...And the main reason we got the cat was to catch mice. It was an old 19th C. fixer-upper house.

Stupid cat.
Totally Crazy!
I guess these animals don't read the rule books because they don't seem to follow them.

We had a dog that acted more like a cat. A cat that acted more like a dog.
I've planted so many things that deer shouldn't eat, but they eat them! I keep Lowe's garden section in business with the buffet I plant every spring ?
I swear, animals are worse than children when it comes to doing the opposite of what you expect them to do ??

Totally Crazy!
I guess these animals don't read the rule books because they don't seem to follow them.
I always thought they didn't read the rule books because they don't have thumbs. :rolleyes:

I swear, animals are worse than children when it comes to doing the opposite of what you expect them to do ??
Kids & animals—always on the wrong side of a door. :LOL:

Back
Top Bottom