Can someone answer this without the judgement please...

I just had a bad tear on my chams feet where he got them stuck in between overlapping metal screen(outside enclosure). I cleaned it with chlorhexidine and put manuka honey(they do this in hospitals as well) on the wound for a few days. It has scabbed and been healing since. No need to panic
Another dumb question, but where do you even get chlorhexidine and manuka honey?? I'm sure they don't sell that at my local neighborhood Walmart ?

I got both off Amazon. I'm sure there are specialty stores that have them as well. Chlorhexidine is usually with veterinary supplies

If you have some silvadene laying around, that is an awesome antibacterial as well. It’s not just for burns.
I do have silvadene for him and was going to put some on there when I got home, but now it seems he's gone into his shed (which I thought was long over due) starting with that foot ?

I do have silvadene for him and was going to put some on there when I got home, but now it seems he's gone into his shed (which I thought was long over due) starting with that foot ?
With that info and looking back at the pic, maybe it is just the old shed skin that has split and the new skin is fine. Maybe? Just kind of guessing.

OK, but that kinda takes all the fun out... :rolleyes:

I'm really curious about this, and I'd probably press a vet on why or why not.

My SWAG is that the ointment may collect more dirt than it keeps out and/or not wanting it to be ingested, but... ( ?‍♂️ Dunno). I may ask a vet friend about it if I happen to think of it, but for pandemic reasons, I have no idea when that might be.

WOW! That right there is enough to make me ignore everything he said! (KIDDING! :p) :rolleyes:
+1 (y)(y)

The only difference I find between neo- & poly- sporins is that:

For cleaning, I would think peroxide should be safe (I would NOT use alcohol). There should be info on this in the archives.

FWIW, the cut didn't look all that bad to me, but I know the eyes of a concerned "parent" can make a paper cut look like the Grand Canyon. Here's a similar thread in the Health forum right now:
https://www.chameleonforums.com/threads/strange-cut-on-his-foot.177272/
Looks like a similar-sized cut as well.

The difference in whether to use an ointment or not is (IMO) location of the cut. In this thread, it's on the bottom of the foot where it's likely to get dirt in it, whereas the other cut is on the elbow, where it's less likely to get dirt in it.

The "other" vet who said neosporein, NOT poly, didn't give a reason and I just took her at her word. MY vet, who I think knows her chams from her beardies (the other one wasn't as Knowledgeable, by her own admission she'd never seen a Panther before ?). My vet said something about oils (maybe? I'll double check tomorrow) on chams and yadda yadda yadda. I didn't retain the exact reason ?

Since everyone is going all over in this thread. Just ensure that it is not neosporin with the pain med and extra stuff in it. You want the plain kind. Use a qtip to apply.

Now per the cut and how he got it. Do you have any ideas? Enclosure does not have any sharp spots correct?
Outside on the porch I have a heavy rod iron plant stand. He's climbed it so many times that he can do it with his eyes closed. I didn't think it had any sharp edges, but it's the only thing that he could have gotten the cut from, and it makes sense since I noticed it after we had been out there ?
Definitely nothing in his enclosure that's sharp

Hmm i wonder if its not a cut, but a crack. Ive had other species where the thick foot pad didnt shed, can caused cracking, even slight bleeding, down the road. Those foot pad sheds are pretty thick.

That makes sense.... if its not humid enough their dryskin can crack, while from the picture, it DOES look like some shedding just occured, it looks too deep to be that IMO. But again I'm VERY NOOB when it comes to cham cuts so im just guna stop posting in this thread now...was just hoping to be some help and assurance ?

Yeah I was wondering about that as well... looking at the pic it appears the ankle down is whiter like it is trying to shed.
I think if that were the case I don't think it would be hurt though, and I can tell it definitely hurts. More so yesterday than today. He literally just sat /lay on his branch with his foot up in the air. Not hanging off the branch, but holding it up

That makes sense.... if its not humid enough their dryskin can crack, while from the picture, it DOES look like some shedding just occured, it looks too deep to be that IMO. But again I'm VERY NOOB when it comes to cham cuts so im just guna stop posting in this thread now...was just hoping to be some help and assurance ?
I've been trying to get his humidity to stay up because he hasn't shed and he looks a bit like ? With the AC running nearly nonstop in Florida, it makes it harder. I have 2 hygrometers though, so it must be right. Both say between 50-70% (highest after the mister goes off of course).

I've been trying to get his humidity to stay up because he hasn't shed and he looks a bit like ? With the AC running nearly nonstop in Florida, it makes it harder. I have 2 hygrometers though, so it must be right. Both say between 50-70% (highest after the mister goes off of course).
Is the AC in the same room as your chams cage!? Yea i covered the sides and back, I did it with trash bags for a while and it kept it up to 50-60% BUT i also live in NY so climate is different. I would imagine you wouldn't even need to cover the back or sides if you just house the cham outside or room temp room [No AC] cuz Florida is so humid already....

50-70 is fine for a Panther.

Is the AC in the same room as your chams cage!? Yea i covered the sides and back, I did it with trash bags for a while and it kept it up to 50-60% BUT i also live in NY so climate is different. I would imagine you wouldn't even need to cover the back or sides if you just house the cham outside or room temp room [No AC] cuz Florida is so humid already....
It sounds crazy, but it's too hot here for him to be outside very long. It's over 90 with heat index over 100 a lot of the summer. The humidity would be great, but he'd literally cook with those temps, and he'd never have a cool ambient temperature so ? even though his cage is in a room with the AC vent closed (we keep it set at 75-75 degrees) it's still not possible to get the humidity up without what you did.
I had to put a clear shower curtain around 3 sides of his cage before I got it to 50%! It's not easy getting all those things exactly right ?

I think if that were the case I don't think it would be hurt though, and I can tell it definitely hurts. More so yesterday than today. He literally just sat /lay on his branch with his foot up in the air. Not hanging off the branch, but holding it up
I was referring to what @nightanole said about it being a crack in the pad of the foot. Which yes would hurt for sure.

Back
Top Bottom