Strange cut on his foot?

I just noticed today that my chameleon has a cut on his foot. I have no idea how this happened as we haven’t seen him fall or anything like that. We’re going to the vets this thursday, but has anyone had this happen to their chameleon at all or know what may have caused it?

Attachments

• BF77D658-8834-415D-9F8C-3B125FB90443.jpeg
    BF77D658-8834-415D-9F8C-3B125FB90443.jpeg
    158.4 KB · Views: 132
From that picture, in that location, two possibilities spring to mind (either/both of which may be wrong).

One is dehydration—like washing your hands umpteen thousand times a day to prevent COVID infection, then your dried-out skin cracks...

The other is that he just bumped into something—a sharp piece of bark or exposed metal, etc. from something in the enclosure.

Either way, it doesn't look too serious. Maybe a little neosporin or other triple antibiotic topical to dissuade infection, and he's on his way... ;)

It's commendable that you're that attentive to have spotted it, though! Kudos!

Thank you for your reply! I put some ointment on it and it seems to be getting better. My worry is that it could be dehydration as he’s been refusing to drink the past little while. And thanks I’m super attentive when it comes to him :) Maybe a bit too much haha

Im going to vote the little guy bit himself trying to get the thick foot shed off. Reminds me of my not so bright frilly that would shed and scratch is frill like a dog scratching the back of its ears. Created holes all over the place.

Thank you for your reply! I put some ointment on it and it seems to be getting better. My worry is that it could be dehydration as he’s been refusing to drink the past little while. And thanks I’m super attentive when it comes to him :) Maybe a bit too much haha
Glad it's getting better. (y) There's been some discussion on ointments since that post; IIRC, silver sulfadiazine (Silvadene) is preferred by some veterinarians. I don't think any harm is done from the other, but for future reference...

Just from reading posts on this forum, some chams have been shown to be "secret (shy) drinkers"; they'll wait until they're alone to drink. Obviously, I can't say that's what's going on, but lacking other evidence, can't rule it out either. You'd know better than anyone. ;)

chameleon signs of dehydration

Back
Top Bottom