Can someone answer this without the judgement please...

RescueMom

Avid Member
I noticed my Panther Chameleon holding his foot up yesterday after I had him out on the porch. It was obvious something was wrong. When I looked, I saw a cut on the bottom, close to the inside toes.

This morning I looked at it again more closely, got some pictures (not easy to do), and called my vet.

After practically begging to get him in sooner than tomorrow at 3pm (she's in high demand), I used some saline (the kind you use for contact lenses, which I also use to rinse his eyes, per vet instructions) to rinse the cut since I could see a bit of black in it after I zoomed in on the picture.

Here's the question, and at least I'm asking first, has anyone ever used any liquid bandaid on their Cham?

I'm really worried about his toes since the cut is so close.

Attachments

• 20200812_110855.jpg
    20200812_110855.jpg
    77.7 KB · Views: 169
Id just load it up with neo or polysporin and call it good. They are pretty robust when it comes to cuts. I would root around the parson's folk, since that breed is known for this sort of things just because of their huge weight, they get pressure sores. You may find some foot treatments there. The fun part is if you have to do several minute soaks each day, some chams tolerate it and some its a fight to the finish and you end up with them holding on to soaked cotton balls because they wont keep their bad foot in the bath.

I personally would NEVER use anything like that on my cham. You have no idea what of kind of reaction it would have and could likely make the issue even worse! Its better to just play it safe and let it heal on its own. As "pet" chameleon owners a lot of us forget that these are DOMESTICATED, WILD animals, they take hits, falls, bumps,scrapes, cuts, etc. If your cham is healthy it should heal up pretty quickly. Also the picture isn't great, and i know its hard AS BALLS to get decent flick but to me it just looks like he's shedding. If you have a vet appointment set then you can lessen your worries, just keep cleaning it and give him warm misty showers. Hope this helps ?

Id just load it up with neo or polysporin and call it good. They are pretty robust when it comes to cuts. I would root around the parson's folk, since that breed is known for this sort of things just because of their huge weight, they get pressure sores. You may find some foot treatments there. The fun part is if you have to do several minute soaks each day, some chams tolerate it and some its a fight to the finish and you end up with them holding on to soaked cotton balls because they wont keep their bad foot in the bath.

Thanks for the info!

I get mixed feedback on polysporin and Neosporin. My vet said never use either but a different vet that I took him to once when I was in a bind said only use Neosporin. Others on the Forum say either polysporin or Neosporin or both, so I never know what actually go with ?
I'm sure he wouldn't tolerate a soak, but the cotton ball would be do-able.

He climbs his cage like he's insane at times, that's why I'm worried about those toes. If he keeps that up I'm afraid he'll just rip them right off ?

I personally would NEVER use anything like that on my cham. You have no idea what of kind of reaction it would have and could likely make the issue even worse! Its better to just play it safe and let it heal on its own. As "pet" chameleon owners a lot of us forget that these are DOMESTICATED, WILD animals, they take hits, falls, bumps,scrapes, cuts, etc. If your cham is healthy it should heal up pretty quickly. Also the picture isn't great, and i know its hard AS BALLS to get decent flick but to me it just looks like he's shedding. If you have a vet appointment set then you can lessen your worries, just keep cleaning it and give him warm misty showers. Hope this helps ?
All very true. Thanks you!
I have a medium reptibreeze I'm going to move him into in the event he falls, it's not so far to the bottom ? he likes the softer ropes as opposed to those black gritty vines in his big cage. That should feel better too in that foot. I can tell it really hurts and I feel awful!
*If you zoom in on the picture you can see the cute pretty good on the left side

You have no idea what of kind of reaction it would have and could likely make the issue even worse!
I'm assuming that everything nightanole is suggesting has been tested and is for sure it works.

I doubt someone with the knowlegde and expirience of nightanole would recommend something that would make things worse lol

All very true. Thanks you!
I have a medium reptibreeze I'm going to move him into in the event he falls, it's not so far to the bottom ? he likes the softer ropes as opposed to those black gritty vines in his big cage. That should feel better too in that foot. I can tell it really hurts and I feel awful!
*If you zoom in on the picture you can see the cute pretty good on the left side
Ahh i see it now! Its on the left part of the clapper? You should circle it. That is definitely open and does look deep but ya i would just try to keep smooth branches and keep it clean until you can get him to vet, i would imagine they have something they can use to cover or seal it. Sorry mate, I've never had to deal with a cuts so I'm not much help, just bumps and bruises but were praying for his full and speedy recovery!?

I just had a bad tear on my chams feet where he got them stuck in between overlapping metal screen(outside enclosure). I cleaned it with chlorhexidine and put manuka honey(they do this in hospitals as well) on the wound for a few days. It has scabbed and been healing since. No need to panic

I'm assuming that everything nightanole is suggesting has been tested and is for sure it works.

I doubt someone with the knowlegde and expirience of nightanole would recommend something that would make things worse lol
Uhhh???? I wasnt talking to them i was talking to the person who posted thread..?

Can someone answer this without the judgement please...
OK, but that kinda takes all the fun out... :rolleyes:
I get mixed feedback on polysporin and Neosporin. My vet said never use either but a different vet that I took him to once when I was in a bind said only use Neosporin.
I'm really curious about this, and I'd probably press a vet on why or why not.

My SWAG is that the ointment may collect more dirt than it keeps out and/or not wanting it to be ingested, but... ( ?‍♂️ Dunno). I may ask a vet friend about it if I happen to think of it, but for pandemic reasons, I have no idea when that might be.

WOW! That right there is enough to make me ignore everything he said! (KIDDING! :p) :rolleyes:
+1 (y)(y)

The only difference I find between neo- & poly- sporins is that:
Neosporin contains neomycin which is not present in polysporin. Polysporin is the brand name for a product containing bacitracin zinc and polymyxin B sulfate. Neosporin is the brand name for a product containing bacitracin zinc, polymyxin B sulfate and neomycin sulfate.
https://www.drugs.com/medical-answers/what-is-the-difference-between-polysporin-and-128943/

For cleaning, I would think peroxide should be safe (I would NOT use alcohol). There should be info on this in the archives.

FWIW, the cut didn't look all that bad to me, but I know the eyes of a concerned "parent" can make a paper cut look like the Grand Canyon. Here's a similar thread in the Health forum right now:
https://www.chameleonforums.com/threads/strange-cut-on-his-foot.177272/
Looks like a similar-sized cut as well.

The difference in whether to use an ointment or not is (IMO) location of the cut. In this thread, it's on the bottom of the foot where it's likely to get dirt in it, whereas the other cut is on the elbow, where it's less likely to get dirt in it.

I noticed my Panther Chameleon holding his foot up yesterday after I had him out on the porch. It was obvious something was wrong. When I looked, I saw a cut on the bottom, close to the inside toes.

This morning I looked at it again more closely, got some pictures (not easy to do), and called my vet.

After practically begging to get him in sooner than tomorrow at 3pm (she's in high demand), I used some saline (the kind you use for contact lenses, which I also use to rinse his eyes, per vet instructions) to rinse the cut since I could see a bit of black in it after I zoomed in on the picture.

Here's the question, and at least I'm asking first, has anyone ever used any liquid bandaid on their Cham?

I'm really worried about his toes since the cut is so close.
Since everyone is going all over in this thread. Just ensure that it is not neosporin with the pain med and extra stuff in it. You want the plain kind. Use a qtip to apply.

Now per the cut and how he got it. Do you have any ideas? Enclosure does not have any sharp spots correct?

Since everyone is going all over in this thread. Just ensure that it is not neosporin with the pain med and extra stuff in it. You want the plain kind. Use a qtip to apply.

Now per the cut and how he got it. Do you have any ideas? Enclosure does not have any sharp spots correct?
Hmm i wonder if its not a cut, but a crack. Ive had other species where the thick foot pad didnt shed, can caused cracking, even slight bleeding, down the road. Those foot pad sheds are pretty thick.

Hmm i wonder if its not a cut, but a crack. Ive had other species where the thick foot pad didnt shed, can caused cracking, even slight bleeding, down the road. Those foot pad sheds are pretty thick.
Yeah I was wondering about that as well... looking at the pic it appears the ankle down is whiter like it is trying to shed.

Back
Top Bottom