Can someone answer this without the judgement please...

It sounds crazy, but it's too hot here for him to be outside very long. It's over 90 with heat index over 100 a lot of the summer. The humidity would be great, but he'd literally cook with those temps, and he'd never have a cool ambient temperature so ? even though his cage is in a room with the AC vent closed (we keep it set at 75-75 degrees) it's still not possible to get the humidity up without what you did.
I had to put a clear shower curtain around 3 sides of his cage before I got it to 50%! It's not easy getting all those things exactly right ?

Oh i bet its CRAZY hot this summer too, i mean, no, obviously dont keep him out in that but if you have another room, like inside the house itself, the ambient humidity would be fine, without even misting! Like i said Florida is SO humid already you would barley need to do anything. Misting, however is still always needed. As long as yout mainting that level than your AYE OKAY!?

Oh i bet its CRAZY hot this summer too, i mean, no, obviously dont keep him out in that but if you have another room, like inside the house itself, the ambient humidity would be fine, without even misting! Like i said Florida is SO humid already you would barley need to do anything. Misting, however is still always needed. As long as yout mainting that level than your AYE OKAY!?
For sure! When I take him outside he immediately starts "gulping the air" which is the only way I can describe it. And it would be ideal to use a room that way, but sadly the humidity causes moisture, which causes mold, and you can see where that would lead ? Its a no win situation to say the least

For sure! When I take him outside he immediately starts "gulping the air" which is the only way I can describe it. And it would be ideal to use a room that way, but sadly the humidity causes moisture, which causes mold, and you can see where that would lead ? Its a no win situation to say the least
All you need is moving air friend, imcho AC is just too much and i worry cause i read AC can put so much moisture in air, chams can get lung issues from it. As long as there's good ventilation, higher humidity is fine, they like it. I have my AC in bedroom which is FARTHEST from his cage and i have a overhead fan above his which helps with ventilation and keeping everything dry ?

All you need is moving air friend, imcho AC is just too much and i worry cause i read AC can put so much moisture in air, chams can get lung issues from it. As long as there's good ventilation, higher humidity is fine, they like it. I have my AC in bedroom which is FARTHEST from his cage and i have a overhead fan above his which helps with ventilation and keeping everything dry ?

Agree with most of that, but AC takes moisture out of the air (y)

Agree with most of that, but AC takes moisture out of the air (y)
It does dry things out for sure!
I think the difference might be whether or not you're up north or down south. The climate affects things and they have to run differently. Maybe up north AC doesn't suck the moisture out of the air like it does in the south, but I don't know, I'm not up north ?

I'm not following something here. We have central AC, but there's a humidity control as part of it, so it'll either add more humidity or suck it out depending on the setting. This system is 40 years old; is this feature not standard? :unsure:

I'm not following something here. We have central AC, but there's a humidity control as part of it, so it'll either add more humidity or suck it out depending on the setting. This system is 40 years old; is this feature not standard? :unsure:
Are you saying your AC unit is 40 years old, original, still running?
I don't know about a humidity control feature on the AC?
If so, what kind is it? ?

Are you saying your AC unit is 40 years old, original, still running?
I don't know about a humidity control feature on the AC?
If so, what kind is it? ?

Definitely not standard, I've never seen that, but now that I think of it, I've heard of AC units that add humidity in dry areas of the country. I live in the north(Pennsylvania) and have literally never seen one that does that here because we have extremely high humidity living near the woods. Even in the winter I run my dehumidifiers(we have a boiler though). So every AC unit I've come across here doubles as a dehumidifier.

Definitely not standard, I've never seen that, but now that I think of it, I've heard of AC units that add humidity in dry areas of the country. I live in the north(Pennsylvania) and have literally never seen one that does that here because we have extremely high humidity living near the woods. Even in the winter I run my dehumidifiers(we have a boiler though). So every AC unit I've come across here doubles as a dehumidifier.
I think it does depend on where you live. My brother in law lives in Colorado and owns an air conditioning company and it's different than the hvac that we have in Florida.
A lot of people get separate dehumidifiers that they use if the humidity is too high in the house. Right now our humidity is around 40%inside, while it's about 73% outside ?

If you have a central ac then you should also have the central heat. That's where the humidity control comes in. Central heat is very dry so they have a humidifier added in the heat part of the system and you control with the humidity control or humidistat.

If you have a central ac then you should also have the central heat. That's where the humidity control comes in. Central heat is very dry so they have a humidifier added in the heat part of the system and you control with the humidity control or humidistat.
I gotcha about the thermostat! Didn't know anything about it being a humidity control as well, but I'm just a ??

I noticed my Panther Chameleon holding his foot up yesterday after I had him out on the porch. It was obvious something was wrong. When I looked, I saw a cut on the bottom, close to the inside toes.

This morning I looked at it again more closely, got some pictures (not easy to do), and called my vet.

After practically begging to get him in sooner than tomorrow at 3pm (she's in high demand), I used some saline (the kind you use for contact lenses, which I also use to rinse his eyes, per vet instructions) to rinse the cut since I could see a bit of black in it after I zoomed in on the picture.

Here's the question, and at least I'm asking first, has anyone ever used any liquid bandaid on their Cham?

I'm really worried about his toes since the cut is so close.

Today the shed is off his foot so it's easier to see the cut. Going to vet soon, but here is what it looks like now

Attachments

• 20200813_140817.jpg
    20200813_140817.jpg
    155.6 KB · Views: 77
Like I said, it does BOTH. It's part of the system. We set the humidity at 50%, and that's where it stays, year-round.

If the cut is near the toe it's not looking infected- yet. It seems you've done a good job cleaning it.
If he weren't a lizard liquid band aid might work, but the stuff gets stuck to the top layer of human skin which sheds off over a long amount of time. Lizards don't have the same skin we do.
It's good to know that you can use neosporin though! (the basic stuff) I'll keep that in my "just in case" file.

Can you get a picture angled at the bottom of his foot? i don't see the cut at all ?‍♂️
I should have been more specific that it was right below his toes, rather than just on the bottom of his foot ?

Attachments

• 20200813_151232.jpg
    20200813_151232.jpg
    166.6 KB · Views: 59
Back
Top Bottom