Calling all T. quadricornis keepers!

She looks very mellow.

That's terrible about the snake bite.

What sort of temperatures do you have? I would have thought Southern California would be too hot and too dry for a quad to be outside in the summer. Did you keep quads outside all this summer? How many? How did they cope?
Ya so far outside I use a mistking to cool them alot I'm really close to the beach like 1 mile maybe at most so temps are normally pretty good if temps get way to hot like it sometimes does in September then I will up misting /cooling I work nights so I'm home during the fay last year the hottest it got was 93 so I did a lot of cool off misting with my montane species and that normally works and I will check on them several times a day to watch for any signs of trouble

Also if I see trouble start to happen I will go buy a room sized swamp cooler and pull them inside and put them on the rack

What a weekend! My female gracilior's eggs hatched (retained sperm) and today, the day her last baby hatched, she laid 18 beautiful big white eggs from a breeding--about 15 breedings!--to my male gracilior. I'm exhausted! Those graciliors that hatched are my first babies ever.

Attachments

• 20150823_163602.jpg
    20150823_163602.jpg
    215.7 KB · Views: 330
What a weekend! My female gracilior's eggs hatched (retained sperm) and today, the day her last baby hatched, she laid 18 beautiful big white eggs from a breeding--about 15 breedings!--to my male gracilior. I'm exhausted! Those graciliors that hatched are my first babies ever.
Awesome I can't wait to breed mine at what weight dud you breed your female

Awesome I can't wait to breed mine at what weight dud you breed your female

My female came into the US gravid. She was 50g when I bought her a day or two after import in February. She laid 14 eggs (two obviously bad as soon as they were laid) March 15 and 12 hatched, the last hatching today. June 2 she laid 16 non-fertile eggs (without being bred to my male). She had gained weight and weighed 66 grams the day after laying the 16 eggs.

She's gained weight steadily for me.

I bred a quad quad female at about 55g. She laid a nice clutch of 12 eggs June 27. She weighed 21g when I bought her the end of February. The male was only about 40g. The eggs still look good except for one. She was bred after laying those and is huge.

Cheers!!

Quadricornis quadricornis

Here's a picture of my male Trioceros quadricornis quadricornis TianLong currently on loan to Perry. Thanks Perry, for the great picture.

Attachments

• imagejpeg_0.jpg
    imagejpeg_0.jpg
    117 KB · Views: 416
That's got to be one of the best tail-fins from the import. My male quad quad's was laid over with bones sticking out the side. If not that extreme, most had pretty severe erosion from what I've seen. He's looking good.

That's got to be one of the best tail-fins from the import. My male quad quad's was laid over with bones sticking out the side. If not that extreme, most had pretty severe erosion from what I've seen. He's looking good.

His dorsal crest, especially on his tail, is one of my favorite things about him and one of the tallest I've seen. I have a male, Sherman, that came in with the February shipment that's not as large as TianLong, and he is developing a nice tail-fin too, although it remains to be seen just how high it will get since he still has some growing to do. I'm so thankful to Janet for loaning TianLong to me. He bred with my 3 1/2 year old CH female, Gracie, who had never been bred before. I expect her to lay anytime now. Here she is as of yesterday. It's getting harder and harder for her to hide. :)

Attachments

• photo (7).jpg
    photo (7).jpg
    51.6 KB · Views: 363

Doesn't he have a magnificent tail fin?--really big, tall and not broken. He has a really pretty face and nice horns, too. He's from the December import.

It's getting harder and harder for her to hide. :)

I am so glad you have Gracie bred. It's apropos that he went to you for awhile--after all I only looked at him to take pictures for you in case you wanted him. Then I snatched him up when I saw how beautiful he was!

His dorsal crest, especially on his tail, is one of my favorite things about him and one of the tallest I've seen. I have a male, Sherman, that came in with the February shipment that's not as large as TianLong, and he is developing a nice tail-fin too, although it remains to be seen just how high it will get since he still has some growing to do. I'm so thankful to Janet for loaning TianLong to me. He bred with my 3 1/2 year old CH female, Gracie, who had never been bred before. I expect her to lay anytime now. Here she is as of yesterday. It's getting harder and harder for her to hide. :)

Yeah, that's not working at all. She should stick with leaves instead of twigs for the moment, but don't tell her I said that. Good luck you guys!

Just dug these up. My first gracilior pair circa 2003-2004. As you can see by the male, some things never change. I can't remember if the female was caught just after mating or just after laying, but I do remember grabbing the camera because of her unusual coloration. These pics were from a 35mm SLR with a diopter from the film era so please excuse the quality.

Attachments

• scan0001.jpg
    scan0001.jpg
    82.5 KB · Views: 402
  • scan0002.jpg
    scan0002.jpg
    73.2 KB · Views: 411
  • scan0003.jpg
    scan0003.jpg
    85.6 KB · Views: 348
  • scan0004.jpg
    scan0004.jpg
    66.8 KB · Views: 355
  • scan0005.jpg
    scan0005.jpg
    73.2 KB · Views: 303
Just dug these up. My first gracilior pair circa 2003-2004. As you can see by the male, some things never change. I can't remember if the female was caught just after mating or just after laying, but I do remember grabbing the camera because of her unusual coloration. These pics were from a 35mm SLR with a diopter from the film era so please excuse the quality.
At what weight did you first attempt breeding you female gracilior

Question: Do quad quads ever have red nails? If I have one that was imported as an adult with red nails, am I almost guaranteed it is a gracilior?

Janet,
I've never heard of quad quad with red toenails, however there are definitely q. Gracilior without red toenails.
Q.gracilior tend to have longer slightly thinner horns and the sail on the tail is somewhat diminished compared to q. Quad. If you're getting young or sub adult animals none of this info will be of any use.

I'm a big help aren't I? It's difficult having to rely on the collector and importer for such vital information, but with smaller and/or females you really have no choice.

Back
Top Bottom