Calling all T. quadricornis keepers!

He is also for sale? I must ask, what is the latent animal for sale that the "also" implies? Could you please give us more details on the others you've found? It'd be nice to connect with the person with the gracilior pair and to be able to avoid the crossed clutch. Thanks for looking out.

the one in the pic is for sale, he is one of Laurie's :)
the Gracilior pair belongs to a guy who is having issues getting on the forum - I think he was able to - but the male will be sent to him next Thursday, and he already has a female - not sure how old she is tho- he had a male too, but it passed - it was pretty small he said - he is excited about this group , and wants to help in the breeding pool also :) I will try again to send him this link/thread -
and here is a pic of my girl NOT MAD - lol - I snuck up on her ( no I didn't - she saw me a mile away :p she was just in a good mood I think :D ) but you can see some of her pretty blue :)

Attachments

• female gar.jpg
    female gar.jpg
    40 KB · Views: 335
They are not just located at the Mt. Oku and Lefo Massif Locations. Trioceros quadricornis gracilor occurs on the Bambuto Mountain, Foto, Dschang, and Lefo Massif in Cameroon and the Obudu Plateau in Nigeria. This species is found in higher mountain forests at elevations between 1,600-2,500 meters. The theory is that there is a good chance that these population are isolated since they are located at higher elevations and have a good chance of showing phenotype variation within the Trioceros quadricornis gracilor subspecies range. This variation is shown with an extra orange tail sailfin, unique head coloration, or uniquely more red toe nails than the rest of the Trioceros quadricornis gracilor population that is seen imported.

I would want to have a look at the collection locales to confirm if these imports came from 1 locale or multiple locations.

Best Regards
Jeremy A. Rich

Now that you mention it I did read this "T. q. gracilior is known from the Bamboutos Mts, Mbulu Hills, Mt. Lefo, Mt. Oku and the Obudu Plateau" from Insights into chameleons of the genus Trioceros (Squamata: Chamaeleonidae) in Cameroon, with the resurrection of Chamaeleon serratus Mertens, 1922. I guess I was under the impression the Mt. Lefo and Oku were the epicenter of gracilior's range and they extend out from there. If you don't mind me asking, what research/literature are you referencing?

the one in the pic is for sale, he is one of Laurie's :)
the Gracilior pair belongs to a guy who is having issues getting on the forum - I think he was able to - but the male will be sent to him next Thursday, and he already has a female - not sure how old she is tho- he had a male too, but it passed - it was pretty small he said - he is excited about this group , and wants to help in the breeding pool also :) I will try again to send him this link/thread -
and here is a pic of my girl NOT MAD - lol - I snuck up on her ( no I didn't - she saw me a mile away :p she was just in a good mood I think :D ) but you can see some of her pretty blue :)

Ok. I think I know who you're talking about and see what's going on now. I believe I just got a pair of cristatus from him and he said he was trying to get on the forums but was having trouble. Thanks. I'd still like to know who may have the crossed clutch though, but I'm also well aware you can't have everything. ;)

Now that you mention it I did read this "T. q. gracilior is known from the Bamboutos Mts, Mbulu Hills, Mt. Lefo, Mt. Oku and the Obudu Plateau" from Insights into chameleons of the genus Trioceros (Squamata: Chamaeleonidae) in Cameroon, with the resurrection of Chamaeleon serratus Mertens, 1922. I guess I was under the impression the Mt. Lefo and Oku were the epicenter of gracilior's range and they extend out from there. If you don't mind me asking, what research/literature are you referencing?

I was just reading Tilbury, Chameleons of Africa An Atlas, 2010. The theory is mine however the location came from the Atlas not a study or other PDF.

Best Regards
Jeremy A. Rich

The Newest Gracilior in the US

Hatched today from retained sperm from my wild-caught female imported early February.

Attachments

• 20150820_195433.jpg
    20150820_195433.jpg
    114.4 KB · Views: 336

He looks great Mike! Where's he been hiding? Was this the one that was originally thought to be quad quad, and how did it come to light that it was indeed gracilior? It looks like he brings the count to 9 accounted for. Good luck and keep us posted on how they come along.

He looks great Mike! Where's he been hiding? Was this the one that was originally thought to be quad quad, and how did it come to light that it was indeed gracilior? It looks like he brings the count to 9 accounted for. Good luck and keep us posted on how they come along.
He came from somebody I believe that was mostly dealing with bearded dragons and then was sold to a guy that I know on Facebook and I definitely want to work with everybody on breeding these guys and working out trades for blood lines and learning them out so we can start establishing them here

He came from somebody I believe that was mostly dealing with bearded dragons and then was sold to a guy that I know on Facebook and I definitely want to work with everybody on breeding these guys and working out trades for blood lines and learning them out so we can start establishing them here

Can you post a picture of your female, Mike? I know I would love to see a picture of her.

Nice looking female Mike. What is her temperament like? Of the gracilior females I've encountered, it seemed like a much larger percentage of them, compared to quad quad females, were afraid. Every female gracilior I've seen in person has been very fearful, defensive, or aggressive, depending on one's interpretation. The female graciliors I've seen very often run or else gape. What I saw may be a total coincidence, especially since I haven't seen as many of them compared to the standard quads. From the photos, it looks like your female is relatively mild tempered and not very shy. How would you describe her?

Most of the male graciliors I've seen were either calm or only slightly shy. With quad quads, I've experienced that I more frequently come across very laid back females than I do males. I've also had some very calm males, but overall, I've seen very calm females more often than males. I wonder what other quad keepers have noticed. Any trends, either with males vs females or trends with different subspecies?

Dart frog keepers frequently note differences in boldness between different locales or various species, something important to consider when you are trying to decide which species or locale to keep in a heavily planted vivarium where it's nice to at least occasionally see your often expensive frogs. :) Although it is discussed sometimes, it seems like the topic of shyness vs boldness isn't discussed as frequently with chameleons.

Usually only generalizations are made about the less frequently kept species and those species sometimes (unfairly?) get stamped with the label of being shy. I have had many quad quads (both WC and CH) that I would describe as being very bold, many more than ones that were very shy. A good percentage of them fell somewhere in between and many of them seem to change, either becoming more bold or more shy, often depending on how I house them.

She is pretty mellow she's definitely I'm a shy side and will run when I go to open up the cage unless I have the food cup with me but I don't really handle her unless its for pictures or Kate cleaning all of my quad quads are all really on the shy side males and female I'm supposed to be getting a male t quadricornis glacilior Thursday but the guy I'm trading just got bit by some type of tree Viper not really sure why he was handling it hopefully he's okay for his family sake and I hate to say it like this but my own selfish needs as well he's a good guy I'm just not sure why anybody would handle a Viper so hopefully it all works out for everybody I know you just had a kid and there is an antivenom but its like 50 50 I haven't had any updates from him or his fiance so we will see what happens I am keeping all of my animals outdoors I live by the beach in Southern California so they will be out there for most of the year except for those couple months drop down into the thirties

HEYYYYYYYYYYY :D you made it

welcome to the forum :) nice chams !! be sure to go the pic section and post LOTS of pics - and pics of your beautiful baby t derimensis ( congrats again on those :) )
Ya now I just gotta figure out the forum hahaha um ugh and thank you about the derimensis very happy camper

She is pretty mellow she's definitely I'm a shy side and will run when I go to open up the cage unless I have the food cup with me but I don't really handle her unless its for pictures or Kate cleaning all of my quad quads are all really on the shy side males and female I'm supposed to be getting a male t quadricornis glacilior Thursday but the guy I'm trading just got bit by some type of tree Viper not really sure why he was handling it hopefully he's okay for his family sake and I hate to say it like this but my own selfish needs as well he's a good guy I'm just not sure why anybody would handle a Viper so hopefully it all works out for everybody I know you just had a kid and there is an antivenom but its like 50 50 I haven't had any updates from him or his fiance so we will see what happens I am keeping all of my animals outdoors I live by the beach in Southern California so they will be out there for most of the year except for those couple months drop down into the thirties

She looks very mellow.

That's terrible about the snake bite.

What sort of temperatures do you have? I would have thought Southern California would be too hot and too dry for a quad to be outside in the summer. Did you keep quads outside all this summer? How many? How did they cope?

Back
Top Bottom