BABIES! Oscar and Loretta babies!

I just checked the date and they were laid 1/16, and he hatched 8/16. So 7 months incubation on the nose! I incubated the first few weeks at 76, then about a month and a half at 72 then since then 75-77 during the day with a dip to 70-72 at night. There were a few days here and there where they dropped below 70 and I was worried. I had lent my incubator to a friend so didn't have as much control. But I guess it didn't bother them too much thankfully.

Well two eggs split yesterday and two split today but there were hatchlings crawling around when I got home from work today so I decided to open the eggs in case they were having trouble. I pulled out the two from yesterday - both were fully formed but didn't move at all and one was lighter colored than the other. But one (the darker one) is now perching on a stick! I only half exposed the two from today - again both fully formed, one darker than the other and not moving. But when I peeked in later the darker one was squirming but when it saw me it froze and curled up again and wouldn't move. I suspect that the two lighter in color did not make it as their throat areas were a bit swollen, which I've seen on a Pygmy baby that couldn't get out of the GI and drowned. I'm not sure if maybe the substrate is too moist so it's not wicking the liquid away from the egg so the babies aren't getting enough air or what. The one that hatched first runs around and today stared long and hard at the fruit flies but I didn't see him actually hunt any. I was only home today for about an hour though...foolishly working a double shift (9am-4pm normal and now 6pm-8am overnight ER). But I'm hoping that tomorrow there are at least two hatchlings on the stick in the incubator and some more eggs opening!

I was wrong! One of the babies I thought had died just pulled itself out of its egg and moves when poked! It's not crawling around or opening eyes yet but signs of life are exciting! And another new egg just split and now the baby is running around the incubator in record time! Have to get some sleep but will post some more pics later when I return to the land of the living. :)

HTML:
*squees to death*

Haha, best response!

So the two I thought had died both pulled themselves out of their eggs today and are running around healthy and fine! So that's 6 healthy babies and right now 5 more eggs are hatching.

PICTURES!!! Cuteness overload. :)

A few still have little umbilical nubbins.

Aww I love ALL of them! I hope they grow up healthy and I can't wait to see the progress pics.

I especially love the little cutie drinking that huge drop of water :p

Back
Top Bottom