a little worried

turrgon

my new 3 month old panther is sleeping in the bottom corner of his cage. is this unusual? i expected him to sleep higher up. granted his cage is small (about 12in wide, 8in high, 6in deep) and its on top of some cupboards about 8 feet off the ground (i have high ceilings). he opened his eyes when i tapped the far side of his cage so hes alive, and since i got him yesterday ive seen no reason to be concerned, but then i know chameleons hide pathology well. before i got him into this temporary cage he was in one of those plastic jars neonates are always in with a single tiny plastic plant so maybe hes just used to sleeping on the ground. also, its 9pm here and hes been alert all day, so its not like hes sleeping at unusual hours.

um not to sure why he would be sleeping towards the bottom of the cage. Mine sometimes does that too but he still is up on vines about 8 inches off the ground. i would try to upgrade his cage size though. thats awfully small for a panther.

I don't think I would worry yet as long as he is awake during the day. He should be pretty active. I am wondering about the cage size. I would recommend a cage no less than 12"deep, 12"wide and 18" tall for a 2" snout to vent sized panther. And it will be necessary to upgrade that within the month. They need room to roam. Cramped conditions can actually stunt growth. Sellers will often keep lizards in smaller than normal cages because they don't expect to have the lizard long. Don't really on their cage sizing to tell you what is appropriate. Can we see pictures of your little guy? What locale is he?

Back
Top Bottom