i think my little guys sick

saraha

I got a veiled chameleon from petsmart about 3 weeks ago. since I've gotten him he's been brown all the time hes even a little brown at night, his tail recently turned white and I think I have his cage set up wrong or I'm not doing something right. he's currently in the 16x16x30in cage from petsmart while I build him a better cage. I have the lights from the kit on and a recently got a ubv light on for him too. it's 7%. his lights are on from 9am to 9pm. we mist after lights go off by hand and mist right before we turn the lights back on. he also has a fogger that goes off twice a night at 10pm-12am and 4am-6am. I coat his crickets in calcium and he gets about 5-10 everyday. he also get horn worms 3x a week. I give him the pack of vitamins that comes with the cage kit once a week. his temps are 80 on top and 65 on bottom. the temp drops to 60 on top at night and 45 on the bottom. his humidity is 50-60% in the day and 80-90% at night. I have a vet appointment for him this week.
20230514_154603-jpg.338377

Last edited:
Hi and welcome. :) I’d like to see some closer pics of your chameleon and to confirm gender, some pics of the heels of the back feet.

I got a veiled chameleon from petsmart about 3 weeks ago. since I've gotten him he's been brown all the time hes even a little brown at night, his tail recently turned white and I think I have his cage set up wrong or I'm not doing something right. he's currently in the 16x16x30in cage from petsmart while I build him a better cage. I have the lights from the kit on and a recently got a ubv light on for him too. it's 7%. his lights are on from 9am to 9pm. we mist after lights go off by hand and mist right before we turn the lights back on. he also has a fogger that goes off twice a night at 10pm-12am and 4am-6am. I coat his crickets in calcium and he gets about 5-10 everyday. he also get horn worms 3x a week. I give him the pack of vitamins that comes with the cage kit once a week. his temps are 80 on top and 65 on bottom. the temp drops to 60 on top at night and 45 on the bottom. his humidity is 50-60% in the day and 80-90% at night. I have a vet appointment for him this week.
20230514_154603-jpg.338377
Hey there welcome to the forum. Your linear UVB bulb is wrong. You need to get a 5.0 or 6% bulb. The 7% is for shade dwelling species and has a totally different ratio of UVB and UVA to it. This is why they should not be used on chams.

The vitamins in the packet that comes with the kit are the reptivite with D3 which means you only want to use this 2 times a month say the 1st and the 15th. Make sure the calcium powder is the kind without D3. This should be used at all other feedings. Supplements should be very lightly dusted, no powdered donuts look to them.

Remove the moss vine it is not recommended for chams. An impaction risk should he chew off pieces. Flukers makes a good fake vine.

Get a temp gauge with a probe to hook in at the basking branch below the heat bulb. The analog gauges are not accurate and they will not tell you basking temp.

Watch your night time temp drops... 45 is pushing the extreme for them. Typically not recommended to drop below 50 degrees.

take a fresh fecal with you to the vet so they can run it for parasites. Just in case this is really important. Make sure the vet actually has chameleon experience. Not all exotics do.

Brown can be from not having the right light. Get the right UVB and you want this to run next to the heat fixture.

Pull the coil bulb out of the dual lamp. Put in a 40watt regular white incandescent bulb. This will help brighten the cage up without providing high heat.

You are on the right track just need to make a few tweaks. If you have not found this yet it is a great husbandry program https://chameleonacademy.com/chameleon-husbandry-program-getting-started-with-chameleons/

Back
Top Bottom