2,5yo Panther chameleon doesn’t move around much, sits all day. Used to be active….

Thanks for advise. Will adjust🙏 I really appreciate all input from different owners. Hopefully he will be more active soon. This evening was sitting like this for quite some time 😔:
View attachment 352903
He’s sitting with his tongue hanging out like that? That’s not good if he is and the color of his tongue is of concern. It should be a nice pink color. If this is how he is, you need to get him in to a vet quickly before they all close for the day.

He’s sitting with his tongue hanging out like that? That’s not good if he is and the color of his tongue is of concern. It should be a nice pink color. If this is how he is, you need to get him in to a vet quickly before they all close for the day.
His tongue is always that color) vet said some chameleons have blue or grey tongues- not all pink.

Is there any muscus in his mouth? Could be a respitory infection. They will sit with there mouths open to get more air and if he starts putting his head up or perching in an upright position it is most definetly a possibility. Vet confirmation needed and antibiotics. This could have been brought on by the stress of you going on vacation. They dont do well with stress. I am so glad you are not ignoring this. you know him best and you know something is wrong.. I would be on the safe side and get him to a vet. They go down too fast to mess around. Best of you to you both!

Update: increased fogging and misting to maximum. Vet said not to decrease temperature- it should be 34 in basking spot( like it was). Today he is more lively, even wanted to go on my hand. Walked around the room for more than 30 min.
Pooped as well….
But not interested in food still.
Vitamins will arrive today, hopefully that would make improvement faster.
Was also advised to get ceramic bulb for the night. It is 20 in the room, so same in terrarium at night.
Thanks for all messages and help!

Hi Meydo-Leo, my panther enclosure gets ~17º C overnight and I personally have no issues and a lot of other keepers also go to around the same with panthers, 16º is what's considered the low end from care guides. I've also had good luck ~30º basking spot. There could be other factors, I'm only speaking on the things I can share personal experiences with and I'm glad that he's more lively today! Please keep the thread updated or if you see his tongue out like that again! You two got this :)

Same here, my panther sits also around 17C overnight and 30C at the basking spot. No issue so far. IMHO I won't go higher then 20C overnight, the temperature drop at night is good for tight and healthy night/sleep. Using a ceramic bulb will give you troubles on the long term, have witnessed it before on the forums.

Great he's doing better right now and that his tongue was only once sticking like that.

Hi Meydo-Leo, my panther enclosure gets ~17º C overnight and I personally have no issues and a lot of other keepers also go to around the same with panthers, 16º is what's considered the low end from care guides. I've also had good luck ~30º basking spot. There could be other factors, I'm only speaking on the things I can share personal experiences with and I'm glad that he's more lively today! Please keep the thread updated or if you see his tongue out like that again! You two got this :)
Yes, I think he should be fine without ceramic lamp.

hello, again! I took him out to sit in the sun because of the warm day today. He enjoyed it quite a bit, was trying to absorb the warmth with getting darker…
But one thing I noticed- wasn’t there before, he has around 8 purplish spots with white dried skin in it. What could it be?

Attachments

• 34A2B903-1E8C-4278-A1CF-44F9AB834A9A.jpeg
    34A2B903-1E8C-4278-A1CF-44F9AB834A9A.jpeg
    298.3 KB · Views: 10
  • 8AE08853-0CF1-4B95-A809-602DD1387139.jpeg
    8AE08853-0CF1-4B95-A809-602DD1387139.jpeg
    248.7 KB · Views: 9
No, it’s bot constant. He does it for several minutes in the afternoon when he goes down to lower branches. So far I have seen it only three times- once a day. But of course I don’t sit and look all day.
That is really strange and concerning if he’s hanging his tongue that way constantly. If, than a vet intervention is neede

Is there any muscus in his mouth? Could be a respitory infection. They will sit with there mouths open to get more air and if he starts putting his head up or perching in an upright position it is most definetly a possibility. Vet confirmation needed and antibiotics. This could have been brought on by the stress of you going on vacation. They dont do well with stress. I am so glad you are not ignoring this. you know him best and you know something is wrong.. I would be on the safe side and get him to a vet. They go down too fast to mess around. Best of you to you both!
How would a mucus look like? And can a respiratory infection go away on its own if living conditions improved?

How would a mucus look like? And can a respiratory infection go away on its own if living conditions improved?
Mucus looks like snot - it could be stringy, white/yellow, and thick and sorta jelly-like. As far as the spots on your cham, those look like papillomas to me. BEtween the possible respiratory infection and those, I"d suggest visiting a vet familiar with chameleons.

Thanks everyone for support. It’s been a week, and our chameleon completely stopped opening his mouth and hiding. He is eager to climb both in and outside his terrarium, eats well.
So i guess we just didn’t give him enough moisture🤦🏻‍♀️

Back
Top Bottom