2,5yo Panther chameleon doesn’t move around much, sits all day. Used to be active….

Meydo-Leo

Good day!
I need some advise on our 2,5yo Panther male chameleon. He sits all day, mostly on lower branches, leas green than usual, still eats well(grasshoppers, worms, with calciumpro and earth pro regularly). Lamps are Arcadia solar flood 150w, and the uv in the photo. Temperature and humidity in basking spot:
image.jpg
Shedded about two weeks ago. A month ago he was an active guy, liking to be on my son’s hands, walking around the apartment, roaming around terrarium. What can be wrong? What can I adjust? Really appreciate your help.
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

Welcome to the forums 👋
I think your temps are a little too high and would try to lower them about 5 degrees. Possibly why he's on the lower branches. How's his drinking ? his skin looks a little chalky looking.

Welcome to the forums 👋
I think your temps are a little too high and would try to lower them about 5 degrees. How's his drinking ? his skin looks a little chalky looking.
We have automatic misting system twice a day for 12 sec and a fogger at night(15 min every hour). I spray him from water bottle once or twice a day.

Attachments

• 0E849691-8265-4EBA-83D2-C5BEB78F9547.jpeg
    0E849691-8265-4EBA-83D2-C5BEB78F9547.jpeg
    369 KB · Views: 7
Hello again! I raised the lamp higher, now it is 30C in basking spot. Also changed the UV lamp just in case. But today noticed him sitting like this:
696B6E42-4178-4213-9131-52E70D7F34E3.jpeg

What does it mean?
Doesn’t open and close- just sits with open mouth like that….
Appreciate your help.

Normally, it could be he's overheating and trying to cool down. 150 watt is a lot, I'm using 35 or 50 watt basking lights. If you put hand under the basking light at the basking spot and it starts to feel uncomfortable, you know it's too hot. And how did you measure the 30 degrees? On the spot with temperature gun or is the 30 degrees the general temp, because then is the basking spot hotter.
One other question; what material is the top of the enclosure? And where does the UVB light rest on, screen, glass or free (open)?

Normally, it could be he's overheating and trying to cool down. 150 watt is a lot, I'm using 35 or 50 watt basking lights. If you put hand under the basking light at the basking spot and it starts to feel uncomfortable, you know it's too hot. And how did you measure the 30 degrees? On the spot with temperature gun or is the 30 degrees the general temp, because then is the basking spot hotter.
One other question; what material is the top of the enclosure? And where does the UVB light rest on, screen, glass or free (open)?
Thanks for quick reply. He had it like that for 2,5 years, not like I changed anything. The heating bulb and uvb is on top of the screen, same place they have always been.
I have a thermometer/hygrometer pinned at basking place and also on the opposite corner. It is 29,5C at basking spot and 24,5 everywhere else.
And my hand is very comfortable at the level of chameleon under basking light, so no overheating.
I really don’t know what’s going on….

Thanks for quick reply. He had it like that for 2,5 years, not like I changed anything. The heating bulb and uvb is on top of the screen, same place they have always been.
I have a thermometer/hygrometer pinned at basking place and also on the opposite corner. It is 29,5C at basking spot and 24,5 everywhere else.
And my hand is very comfortable at the level of chameleon under basking light, so no overheating.
I really don’t know what’s going on….
No worries, just checking. You just replaced the uvb bulb, when was the last time before that? Any change in supplements?

You're only using Calcium pro and Earth pro from Arcadia? Or also a multivitamin? Basically twice a month we swap the calcium for a multivitamin.
How long is acting like this? Btw, he doesn't look unhealthy in any way.

You're only using Calcium pro and Earth pro from Arcadia? Or also a multivitamin? Basically twice a month we swap the calcium for a multivitamin.
How long is acting like this? Btw, he doesn't look unhealthy in any way.
Yes, just those two. What multivitamin would you advise?
He has been like that couple weeks or so. We were gone for vacation, and even though he was fed by my friend, and there was no change in feeding, he seems to be mad at us😅
He used to love to go out of terrarium, climb my son, walk around and climb other flowers in the house.
Now hiding all the time, when I get close to him- he goes somewhere to not be seen…
And this yellowish color is strange- he used to be bright green.

Yes, just those two. What multivitamin would you advise?
He has been like that couple weeks or so. We were gone for vacation, and even though he was fed by my friend, and there was no change in feeding, he seems to be mad at us😅
He used to love to go out of terrarium, climb my son, walk around and climb other flowers in the house.
Now hiding all the time, when I get close to him- he goes somewhere to not be seen…
And this yellowish color is strange- he used to be bright green.
This is a thing what I experience as well when we were gone on vacation. They're shy again for a few days. I do need say that my panther is also more dull in colors and less active the last week or two. It could be the seasonal change. As long as everything is normal, eating, hydration, the stool, no sunken or closing eyes, I won't be that worried too much and just keep an eye on him.

The multivitamin I use, together with the Earth pro, is the Zoo Med Reptivite with D3 (only once per 2 weeks).

So how are you actually checking temps? Just with the wall thermostat? With a 150watt heat bulb I am betting it is far hotter then the 30 C it is saying it is. The gape if it is too hot. You really want a lower watt bulb 60-75 watt. To check the actual basking area you would get a temp gauge with a probe and put the probe on the branch below the heat. let it sit there a good 15-20 minutes. It is always a few degrees hotter where they rise up off the branch so if it says it is 31 then where they rise up would be more like 33C

Hi. :) Very handsome guy. I just want to add a couple of things. First is your misting schedule. Twice a day is great - usually right before lights go on and off, but it needs to be much longer than 12 seconds. You should be misting for at least 2 minutes at a time.
The other is that I’ve now got my second male panther who has a fading of his colors. I think of it as the winter blahs. The first guy it lasted from around late January until May. Just as quickly as he faded, his colors came back. My current guy hasn’t faded quite as much, but is seeming so far to be following the same time frame. His colors are slowly returning at current. It only happens to some panthers and since it isn’t well talked about, it must be uncommon.

Hi. :) Very handsome guy. I just want to add a couple of things. First is your misting schedule. Twice a day is great - usually right before lights go on and off, but it needs to be much longer than 12 seconds. You should be misting for at least 2 minutes at a time.
The other is that I’ve now got my second male panther who has a fading of his colors. I think of it as the winter blahs. The first guy it lasted from around late January until May. Just as quickly as he faded, his colors came back. My current guy hasn’t faded quite as much, but is seeming so far to be following the same time frame. His colors are slowly returning at current. It only happens to some panthers and since it isn’t well talked about, it must be uncommon.
Thanks for advise. Will adjust🙏 I really appreciate all input from different owners. Hopefully he will be more active soon. This evening was sitting like this for quite some time 😔:
D7992E3D-C23A-41DA-8AB9-E7B60FD4D857.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom