Wire Vines

CMantis

What gauge and strand wire might you recommend for adult veileds? I was thinking between 10-12 gauge vinyl coated but wasn't sure if stranded or solid was better. This would obviously be used in conjunction with live plants. Thanks in advance.

im not quite sure about what you mean, do you mean thickness? anyways its good to have varying sizes so that your chams feet dont get sore.

What gauge and strand wire might you recommend for adult veileds? I was thinking between 10-12 gauge vinyl coated but wasn't sure if stranded or solid was better. This would obviously be used in conjunction with live plants. Thanks in advance.

I would use a few wires and braid them. I saw another member on the forum use this method and tried it with a lot of success.

Just make sure the end result is a good griping size for the veileds foot. Variations are good and in therory would help with gripping strength. Different sizes different grips.

Thanks for the replies. I was hoping to order in bulk and get one size but braid some together for different sizing. The most economical/practical sizes seem to be between 10-14 gauge and either solid or braided (for slightly more). I wasn't sure which would be the most bendable and water resistant (although it is for veileds). Thanks yet again.

I tend to get two or three different thicknesses and colours, then loosely wrap them together, and around branches and store bought "vines". I test the bendability in the store. Its mostly personal perference. But you do want different thicknesses (either through braiding or having different guage wires) to exercise the chameleons feet.

just out of curiosity, would a plastic chain link work for a 'vine'? I was thinking it would make the chameleon work a bit to get from one point to another instead of a nice easy flat vine. Perhaps you could coat it with some sort of stiffiner (made up word) and bend it like you do a vine or leave it lose to have it sway like real branches do. :cool:

What I have done in the past, to great success, has been to create vines using rope by coating it with clear silicone (use a pair of nice disposable gloves) and then applying coconut fiber (make sure it's been expanded and dried). This way, you end up with a pretty realistic-looking vine that is often more durable and less prone to contamination than a real vine, which absorbs and retains contaminants much longer.

Nonetheless, I still prefer real climbing branches, even if that involves more attention to cleaning prior to introducing them into the enclosure, and of course, during their life inside the cage.

Fabián

just out of curiosity, would a plastic chain link work for a 'vine'? I was thinking it would make the chameleon work a bit to get from one point to another instead of a nice easy flat vine. Perhaps you could coat it with some sort of stiffiner (made up word) and bend it like you do a vine or leave it lose to have it sway like real branches do. :cool:

This stuff is excellent! cheap too! See it in use here

https://www.chameleonforums.com/homers-new-habitat-pic-23923/

919_large_image.jpg

jojackson,

That stuff looks great as does your setup! How many feet did you use for that, I noticed you twisted some as well?

Thanks again to all.

Thankyou.
I used two packets in there, at $3 a pkt its cheap enough. (way cheaper than biovine, and more convenient/length) From memory mine had about 4 meters (12 feet) per packet.

The packet I twisted double is his basking vine, He likes to hang out up there, so I though id make it broad enough for him to rest on easy while hes turning this way n that, getting warm. The rest is 'highway'.

Ive removed all the plants since those pics were taken, now the floor is clear and the plants are hanging off the tree up n down, affords him more places to hide.

This stuff is one of the best 'make do' buys I ever made, water beads on it, poo dosent stick like it does with branches and removal/cleaning is easy. :)

Jo, I'd never seen that stuff before but it looks amazing! What's more amazing is that we can actually get it here in the UK cheaper than you guys can over there! :p I'm definitely going to have to get some when I build my new enclosure.

Thanks for the suggestion!

Jolly good show Slik old chap! :p Really is good stuff, coating is quite soft, cant see it harming a chameleons feet, even little ones. My animal makes good use of it and the color is pleasing enough on the eye. :)

You trying to mock me for being english? :p Only joking. But yeah, jolly good show! :D I'll order some when I get this dam enclosure built!

Do all Americans think the English are just a bunch of cockneys? It is hilarious when you watch an American TV show and the English are all portrayed like ****ing morons!

I use that stuff to JoJackson. I get it at the cheap "dollar store" for a buck a package. Comes in three thicknesses. Its good. I also use electrical wire (as one might use to wire their home, sound system, etc)

I dont know Jim, dont take offence. Im not American. Just having a little fun, I mean nothing by it! :)

Hahaha! No worries mate! I was just poking some fun back! In all fairness, there are too many people like the stereotypes! It's pretty funny!

Back
Top Bottom