What water to use in MistKing

Wisto&Co

Established Member
Hi all,

Happy New Year! Coming up on my second year with my veiled cham I've got a MistKing starter kit on the way. When looking at what kind of water to use in it I've seen some mentions of reverse osmosis / RO being used but can't install a system for that right now because I'm renting these days.

So far, I have been hand misting twice a day with Brita-filtered water. I was planning on using that in the MistKing too but wasn't sure about clogging issues. Does anyone use filtered water like this or are other types better?

I was also wondering about mineral and calcium content of the water types, and effects on chams if anyone happens to know more (couldn't find this specifically when I was searching here).

Thanks in advance for any advice here 😊

Hey @Wisto&Co the Mistking is by far the best automatic spraying system I sadly have the thrive automatic misting product but I never use it I just use my sprayer. From my experience with what I use I don’t get ANY buildup from the water I use, the only water you will get buildup from is tap water so maybe the Brita purified water will leave some buildup, some bottled water like Dasani has additives I wouldn’t run through the mistking but the majority of purified water would leave no buildup. I personally recommend and use gallons of spring water because it’s safe, natural, and might not be cheaper than your tap but it’s cheap. I’ve never seen any buildup from my machine or sprayer. Any purified water from the store should work fine though I just recommend spring water for your chameleon.

I’m not sure if there are negative effects from using tap water/what minerals they have in it. That’s why I use spring. I’m sure others will give some more advice on the topic of using tap water or how to purify your tap. Or you can always buy spring in the meantime.

Hi all,

Happy New Year! Coming up on my second year with my veiled cham I've got a MistKing starter kit on the way. When looking at what kind of water to use in it I've seen some mentions of reverse osmosis / RO being used but can't install a system for that right now because I'm renting these days.

So far, I have been hand misting twice a day with Brita-filtered water. I was planning on using that in the MistKing too but wasn't sure about clogging issues. Does anyone use filtered water like this or are other types better?

I was also wondering about mineral and calcium content of the water types, and effects on chams if anyone happens to know more (couldn't find this specifically when I was searching here).

Hey there hope you are doing well! RO and distilled water are the two recommended due to it filtering out the yuck that can clog your mistking. You know the water fill up stations outside grocery stores? These machines are RO machines. Mine near my house runs like 25 cents a gallon.

I would not use tap water because you will get build up plus they put in additional things depending on where you live.

I have used the zero water filter systems in winter here when it snows and I can not easily go to the water fill up station at my grocery store. Last year I had to use it for a good 6 months straight. It worked really well and it comes with a tester so you can see when the filter needs to be replaced.

Hi all,

Happy new year. I've been using Mistking for 7 years now using filtered water. My system is a under cabinet unit with 2 filters. Only had some small deposits on the nozzle tips over the years. Easy to remove soaking in vinegar. Otherwise the system has been worth every penny.

I am wondering how this attaches thx!
If you can unscrew the aerator (end of the faucet), you can install this. For example, I usually have a normal aerator on my sink, but my fridge water needed to be unhooked, so I attached a Pur filter. When I need to make RO water again, I’ll remove the Pur filter and attach this. Easy peasy.

IMG_5626.jpeg

Ahh okay. Ty. My kitchen sink doesn't have a removable aerator. My house is old so guess this option is out. Ty for sharing. Appreciate it.

Ahh okay. Ty. My kitchen sink doesn't have a removable aerator. My house is old so guess this option is out. Ty for sharing. Appreciate it.
Hey! I use this RO system a lot for my fish tanks. It can be attached to any faucet (hose, bathroom sink, kitchen sink, etc). My kitchen sink also doesn’t have the right attachment point for the RO but I was able to take the aerator off the bathroom sink (like @MissSkittles described) and it works great!

I was using RO till I started going through 50 gallons a week the RO system couldn’t keep up . Currently using well water which is still 100% clean water, but it is hard water so I have mineral deposits my first mist king system that was running for almost 2 1/2 years finally had to be taken apart i’ve ordered new Mister heads and I’m currently soaking the older heads in white vinegar . I’ll give them a try After they’ve soaked a day or two . But currently I’m trying to find a system that will store a lot more filtered water. It wouldn’t be nice. If they had a system like what @Beman was talking about for your home .

I was using RO till I started going through 50 gallons a week the RO system couldn’t keep up . Currently using well water which is still 100% clean water, but it is hard water so I have mineral deposits my first mist king system that was running for almost 2 1/2 years finally had to be taken apart i’ve ordered new Mister heads and I’m currently soaking the older heads in white vinegar . I’ll give them a try After they’ve soaked a day or two . But currently I’m trying to find a system that will store a lot more filtered water. It wouldn’t be nice. If they had a system like what @Beman was talking about for your home .
Yeah I would imagine you are using a ton with all your chams. Can you get one of the industrial RO systems? Like what they use at pet stores for their aquariums?

I’ve always used regular tap, hard water. I have to take the front of the nozzles off and clean them with vinigar a couple times a year is all. Also, I learned in my aquarium days that if you let water sit for 24 hours it will dissipate the chlorine out and not have to use water stabilizer when doing water changes, so that’s also what I’ve always done for the chams. Fill a bucket 24 hours before maintenance, then dump that bucket into my reservoir, and use it from there.

If I had an RO system I’d go that route but I am yet to need to go that way.

Back
Top Bottom