Getting Ready For My First Cham

chamkid

Hi everyone!

I'm preparing to get my first chameleon in about a month - a 3 month male panther - and I wanted to get some input on my intended setup.

I live in Albuquerque, NM, and it's quite dry here. I'm able to keep the humidity in my house around 45% using an evaporative cooler.

I was initially planning on purchasing the Repti Zoo 24x24x48 hybrid with live plants, etc to increase the humidity, but I recently read an an article stating that I should use a glass vivarium given that I'm in a dry climate. I want to get some experienced advice, do you think you think hybrid or glass would be better for my situation?

Also, I've just learned about Dragon Strand products. Does anyone have input as to if they are worth the heftier price tag? Any other recommendations or suggestions?

I appreciate any help.

I’ll be no help with the panther or the dry climate 😂 I have a veiled and live in a super humid climate. Everyone I’ve talked to that has used dragon strand has nothing but good things to say. I believe they are a site sponsor here as well

Haha I appreciate the input, Gloria! I moved here a year ago from Houston where my only humidity problem was that there was too much of it 😁👍.

Hello and welcome! Where are you live in a very warm state I would probably lean more towards a hybrid enclosure versus a glass glass tends to hold in heat better so if you live in a cooler area, that would be more ideal for a glass enclosure. I also live in a dry and warm states, and I feel like a glass enclosure would just hold him too much heat for my Chameleons personally.

I do not have a dragon strand enclosure, but once I get my reptile room, all set up I am upgrading all three of my Chameleons to dragon strands. They are more expensive, but you were supporting someone in the hobby, and they are a FAR higher quality then the cheap 2x2x4 ft screen enclosures you often see.

I currently have the cheaper enclosures and I wrapped them with coral plastic to turn them into hybrids and it very much looks like a failed DIY project 😅😅😅

Hello and welcome! Where are you live in a very warm state I would probably lean more towards a hybrid enclosure versus a glass glass tends to hold in heat better so if you live in a cooler area, that would be more ideal for a glass enclosure. I also live in a dry and warm states, and I feel like a glass enclosure would just hold him too much heat for my Chameleons personally.

I do not have a dragon strand enclosure, but once I get my reptile room, all set up I am upgrading all three of my Chameleons to dragon strands. They are more expensive, but you were supporting someone in the hobby, and they are a FAR higher quality then the cheap 2x2x4 ft screen enclosures you often see.

I currently have the cheaper enclosures and I wrapped them with coral plastic to turn them into hybrids and it very much looks like a failed DIY project 😅😅😅
excuse all the typos I was going that talk/text thing while I was cooking dinner 🤪🤪

Hey there... I have bought a few Dragon strand enclosures. They are worth the price tag. He does run them in builds so your availability to get it will vary.

You are going to deal with a very similar ambient levels that I do in AZ. I would not go with glass. They are very very hard to balance out for the sweet spot. They can easily become too humid or stagnant air. You want to go hybrid. Either by buying one already set up for you. OR retrofitting a screen cage. If you retrofit you want to get the DIYcages.com 24x24x48 cage. It is all aluminum and better quality. But you will spend more trying to get this to be what you can just buy from dragonstrand.

If you decide to retrofit a screen cage we can walk you through that as well. But I highly recommend at least buying the dragon ledges and drip pan from dragonstrand.

I got a Reptibreeze xl for $75.00 shipped and cut coroplast sheets (plastic cardboard) to cover 2 of the 4 sides where the water sprays. I attach the boards using these 1/8” offset clips ($25) that are for picture frames. Works great. $100.00 total for a nice hybrid cage. And no, money isn’t a concern here but $600.00 vs $100.00 is a big deal. Then just get a good heavy duty wire rack ($150) that’s 24” deep and a drip pan that’s 28” ($25) and boom you’re good.

Attachments

• EC1D1DDB-C3B2-4306-A047-FD91E8FFB00E.jpeg
    EC1D1DDB-C3B2-4306-A047-FD91E8FFB00E.jpeg
    130.3 KB · Views: 45
  • 9A16BCB9-622C-4B88-9CB0-3189958E75A7.jpeg
    9A16BCB9-622C-4B88-9CB0-3189958E75A7.jpeg
    93.8 KB · Views: 49
  • 13B5BF48-854A-4AE2-82C8-4A266DCFB925.jpeg
    13B5BF48-854A-4AE2-82C8-4A266DCFB925.jpeg
    107.3 KB · Views: 50
  • A1543679-1743-436E-8D1F-BD16B0E870E2.jpeg
    A1543679-1743-436E-8D1F-BD16B0E870E2.jpeg
    103.2 KB · Views: 54
I just wanted to add, with those angle iron racks, you can just put the front of the shelf on a notch lower than the back. That way your pan is angled forward and drips out of a designated hole in the front, and into a bucket below.

Attachments

• 116D004E-F7F8-4E50-A2CF-870D78CCD6A0.jpeg
    116D004E-F7F8-4E50-A2CF-870D78CCD6A0.jpeg
    149 KB · Views: 46
I actually decided to push back the date that I'm getting my panther boy after deciding the setup I want to create. I'll wait until I have the lighting, mist and fog reservoir, etc controlled before I take ownership of my dude. This forum helped my realize to take it very slow and always be prepared for my cham.

I also want to point out, without kissing a** or anything, that this is one of the most friendly forums I've been in. Y'all have done a great job.

More to come as I get it going 😁.

I actually decided to push back the date that I'm getting my panther boy after deciding the setup I want to create. I'll wait until I have the lighting, mist and fog reservoir, etc controlled before I take ownership of my dude. This forum helped my realize to take it very slow and always be prepared for my cham.

I also want to point out, without kissing a** or anything, that this is one of the most friendly forums I've been in. Y'all have done a great job.

I can not tell you how great it is for you to say that about the forum. We really do try to ensure that everyone here has a positive experience.

What breeder did you end up going through for your panther?

I really wish I had found this place before I adopted my guy. They really helped me quickly though and him and I both have settled into things nicely! It would have gone down hill very quickly had it not been for these lovely folks. My one piece of advice is that you can not ask too many questions. And even after you get things settled, continue to come back. There is always more to learn!

Welcome! I am so happy to hear you are waiting until you have the right set up for your baby boy. I have done it both ways.. impulse and planned...planned is the way to go. Please share your set up as you go and dont forget to share your little guy with us!

You're not wrong, this is a great place to be. I don't have social media as a general rule because there is just too much junk and drama, I made an exception for this forum. No drama, no meanies, just a bunch of chameleon nerds sharing their experience as keepers and wanting to pass on their knowledge :)

@Andrew1283 where did you purchase the wire rack? My set up is similar to yours. I just screwed my corrugated plastic into the frame. I use a rabbit cage tray for my drip tray. Adding the wire shelf would complete my system. Great idea!

@Andrew1283 where did you purchase the wire rack? My set up is similar to yours. I just screwed my corrugated plastic into the frame. I use a rabbit cage tray for my drip tray. Adding the wire shelf would complete my system. Great idea!

Here is the link:

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Husky-5...-W-x-78-in-H-x-24-in-D-N2R482478W5B/319132811

You can actually get two shelves out of this one system. They stack on top of each other. I used a hack saw to cut the excess angle iron above where the top shelf sits. It came with these rubber feet which I used to cap off the top of the angle irons so they’re not sharp. I can send pics if I’m not explaining that clearly

I agree! I’m getting a bearded dragon soon and was getting everything squared away and this group was more helpful and nicer than any other one even for that. And they’ve always been helpful with my veiled.

I have a dragon strand hybrid and I really like it and think it’s worth the money.

I can’t wait to see the progress for you and the baby you choose. Glad to have you here!

Back
Top Bottom