White “haze” on side

Hybrid enclosure? Bioactive or bare bottom?

Test your room levels and see how much lower they are too.

When I lived in far Northern California on the coast I had to deal with extreme humidity levels. Talking 80% easy in the house. I had to get a room dehumidifier to run all day long. It was able to keep the humidity down to about 40 in the room while my hybrid enclosures ranged 45-50%.

It is a balancing act. I will say that 55% will not be harmful. I did have to make adjustments to my misting sessions. Shortening my morning misting and having two long late afternoon mistings to help keep my levels lower. The morning mist was the key just because if you add a lot of moisture and heat it is going to spike and can hold in a hybrid. I also did not run my basking fixture all day. It was on at 9am 2 hours after my morning mist and then off at 2 pm so the temps would drop before my first misting at 3pm. This helped quite a bit as well.
I’m out at the moment but will certainly read this more thoroughly when I get home. Thank you!

Yeah I would not use it for that either... Their ingredients are aloe vera, Vitamins B1 and B3, Emollient, and water. They do not specifically list what the emollient is in the product. Which I do not like. The vitamins on their own would not really be an issue since they are water soluble. So no risk of build up and toxicity if the cham licks them. But the aloe could create a coating to your plants and anything it is sprayed on. So really the main thing I do not like is not knowing what the emollient is. Which is something that is used to trap moisture into the skin by creating a film. I know it products this can be anything from oil based to cream based. So yeah sorry that was long winded lol.
Okay, makes sense. I do appreciate any and all information I receive here on this site from you and everyone. I would never want to intentionally harm my Cham.

Thank you

Okay, makes sense. I do appreciate any and all information I receive here on this site from you and everyone. I would never want to intentionally harm my Cham.

Thank you
Oh I know that hun. It really sucks how companies market stuff and slap a picture of a chameleon on it... Especially when it is not meant for that species of chameleon or a chameleon at all. lol No truth in marketing anymore.

What kind of cage do you have. Is he in a basement humidity is higher in basement. Right now I get alot of rain so my humidity goes up this time of year. So for like a month my veiled has day time humidity 46 to 50. Rest of year it's 40 45 in the day
No he’s on the main floor.

I’m out at the moment but will certainly read this more thoroughly when I get home. Thank you!
Hybrid enclosure? Bioactive or bare bottom?

Test your room levels and see how much lower they are too.

When I lived in far Northern California on the coast I had to deal with extreme humidity levels. Talking 80% easy in the house. I had to get a room dehumidifier to run all day long. It was able to keep the humidity down to about 40 in the room while my hybrid enclosures ranged 45-50%.

It is a balancing act. I will say that 55% will not be harmful. I did have to make adjustments to my misting sessions. Shortening my morning misting and having two long late afternoon mistings to help keep my levels lower. The morning mist was the key just because if you add a lot of moisture and heat it is going to spike and can hold in a hybrid. I also did not run my basking fixture all day. It was on at 9am 2 hours after my morning mist and then off at 2 pm so the temps would drop before my first misting at 3pm. This helped quite a bit as well.
DS Hybrid. Not bioactive. Just tested room humidity and it’s the same as the enclosure (67% ATM). The dehumidifier is set for 35% but it’s never gotten it down to that. After the humidity reaches the lowest level of 55-57%, it the just starts warming up the room so i have to run the portable AC also. The central ac doesn’t help. Currently I’m misting 2 mins at 10 pm; 45 secs at 2 am and 4 am; 2 mins at 6:35 am which is 10 minutes before UVB comes on and 20 mins before the basking light comes on. Basking light is off at 10 am, following which the UVB and Sansi lights give enough heat. Can you recommend a better strategy?

cut your morning misting in half. Then i would move to one misting session in middle of night. Doing this while monitoring urates of course.

if fogging then i would just do a 30 sec mist to wet things up before the fog comes on. With my fogger on at least everything stays wet. That should get some water out of the atmosphere for you in your room. You can also turn your fogger to come on every half hour for 30 min then off from 10-5. Seems like all your moisture is just evaporating into your room. We want that sweet spot where the rooms dryness is fighting the vivs wetness.

If your fogging at night shouldn't need to mist. The dehumidifier should drop it. As long as it's not to small for room. If you have that high of humidity it's harder for your ac to work. I would buy a new dehumidifier one that for bigger room then need.

If your fogging at night shouldn't need to mist. The dehumidifier should drop it. As long as it's not to small for room. If you have that high of humidity it's harder for your ac to work. I would buy a new dehumidifier one that for bigger room then need.
The room is 10’x12’ and the dehumidifier coverage area is 1500 square feet so it’s plenty big.

if fogging then i would just do a 30 sec mist to wet things up before the fog comes on. With my fogger on at least everything stays wet. That should get some water out of the atmosphere for you in your room. You can also turn your fogger to come on every half hour for 30 min then off from 10-5. Seems like all your moisture is just evaporating into your room. We want that sweet spot where the rooms dryness is fighting the vivs wetness.
Ok. I will make these changes for tonight.

How many pints a day is it. For a room that high in humidity. You would want one that does atleast 40 pints a day. So if it says 1500 feet but only like say 15 to 20 pints this wouldn't be able to drop it. You be better off with one that does 30 to 50 pints a day for 500 feet room. Then you would see a big drop in humidity. Some times people think more square feet better. But only is if pints per day goes up to. Hope that make sense. That's why more pints they do a day cost more not by square foot

If humidity in room is high won't be able to drop it in cage in that room. The lights will drop little but that's it. Only way to do it is dehumidifier that has high rate of pints per day.

If humidity in room is high won't be able to drop it in cage in that room. The lights will drop little but that's it. Only way to do it is dehumidifier that has high rate of pints per day.
i know but if the humidity is coming from the viv increasing the whole rooms humidity as implied in last sentence maybe there is hope..

I don't think are cages change the rooms humidity that much. I have a parson on an average 24 hour period she gets 40 mins of misting and that's not counting other 4 cages that also mist not as long. My humidity in cham area stays about same. If he had all screen cages light on cage would drop it more. I have high humidity spring and fall when rains more. On opposite side in basement in living room I use a dehumidifier think it 2500 square feet 50 pints. It still will lower humidity in cham area down hall

DS Hybrid. Not bioactive. Just tested room humidity and it’s the same as the enclosure (67% ATM). The dehumidifier is set for 35% but it’s never gotten it down to that. After the humidity reaches the lowest level of 55-57%, it the just starts warming up the room so i have to run the portable AC also. The central ac doesn’t help. Currently I’m misting 2 mins at 10 pm; 45 secs at 2 am and 4 am; 2 mins at 6:35 am which is 10 minutes before UVB comes on and 20 mins before the basking light comes on. Basking light is off at 10 am, following which the UVB and Sansi lights give enough heat. Can you recommend a better strategy?
Ok few things... This was the dehumidifier I was using. It was freaking fantastic and did an amazing job. But your room size matters too. This was in a room that was 14ft by about 12 ft. It did not put out enough heat to make a difference. I run DS hybrids as well. Again my ambient room humidity was 80% without running this. With it on I could get my cages down to 45-50%.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07NRDBBH5/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Your misting in the morning which will kick up levels with the lights. Your looking for your humidity to climb in the evenings not the mornings with lamps on. So I would edit this up quite a bit since you also fog at night. Provide a dripper during the day if needed. Then do a longer evening misting once the sansi and the heat lamp are off but the UVB is still on. This gives the cham an opportunity to drink but also clean eyes if needed.

Now Here is the flip side that I found with high humidity and fogging at night. Check the urates if they are runny like egg whites your actually over hydrating your cham. Yeah that is a thing lol. I had to stop fogging to get my guys urates to have a solid and white look to them rather than looking like egg whites.

I have 2 palms in my office that increases the humidity in that specific room by 30%. You will be surprised with how much moisture is released by plants alone.. Then we add fogging and misting. Humidity levels rise in any room where transpiration and evaporation happens.

What's other rooms at? If you have central air with humidity levels that high in the whole house there is a issue with the system.

I have 2 palms in my office that increases the humidity in that specific room by 30%. You will be surprised with how much moisture is released by plants alone.. Then we add fogging and misting. Humidity levels rise in any room where transpiration and evaporation happens.
But every persons home is different. Between where you are in the world. To what type of home. To if it has airconditioning or heat. There is such a thing as living in an extremely high humidity area. I had three enclosures one of which was 4 feet wide the other the standard 2 ft wide. So 8 ft of enclosures in one room. All hybrid enclosures with potted plants. 80% ambient humidity in that room and the entire house. It was 70% humidity before I even moved the cages in. So all those cages and tons of plants only bumped my natural humidity 10%. When you have natural high humidity you have to use a strong enough dehumidifier like @Jpeff and I are talking about. Or you can not pull down the ambient cage humidity because your base humidity level in the room is too high.

Back
Top Bottom