White spot?

Thank you all so much! @Beman its only about 1-2” between the screen and the top branch so he can climb on the screen but he doesn’t. And no, no other bulbs have been used.

@Steve A thats actually a really good point about the boxes. The fans aren’t blocking the light because they are behind it (even though it looks like they are under it in the picture).

With all this being said, we are actually moving him to a much bigger and better enclosure tomorrow! So I will take all this feedback and incorporate it into the new design. Now I’m thinking it might be caused by stress so I’ll continue to monitor in the new enclosure and keep you all updated. Thanks again for the help!

Have you always had the basking light elevated off the screen the same as in your pics? If you touch the screen below the light (on the inside of the enclosure), can you hold your hand there for a couple of minutes or does it feel too hot?
Yup, always elevated like that and yeah I can hold my hand there and it’s a comfortable temperature (if anything maybe a tiny bit too cold).

Have you always had the basking light elevated off the screen the same as in your pics? If you touch the screen below the light (on the inside of the enclosure), can you hold your hand there for a couple of minutes or does it feel too hot?
For context, we played around with the height a lot at the beginning. I put a smart thermometer there and left it for an hour (right where he would bask) and would be 82-85 per the graph which was the aim given the guidance we received here.

Right you want to drop it down to the top of the cage. Right now he is not getting any UVB with it up high. A T8 and a 5.0 bulb he would need to be within 5 inches of it.
We only had it there due to the conflicting advice we first read on Reddit whereby they said it should be raised some per the Zoomed UV index. Seems though that the basking value should be higher and then closer to 1 lower down the enclosure.

Its not getting puffy. It might just be "slightly" damaged by heat because he spent eons under it. Now if he fell, then it would not be white, it would be black. Thats why its got a black ring, that skin can still change color, the white can not.

We only had it there due to the conflicting advice we first read on Reddit whereby they said it should be raised some per the Zoomed UV index. Seems though that the basking value should be higher and then closer to 1 lower down the enclosure.
I would avoid all things reddit... if you have questions or are unsure ask here. In this forum we practice and implement the most up to date husbandry. Reddit does not and they delete posts there that challenge the methods they provide.

So UVI for a Panther should be a 3 UVI at basking. Yes the UVI will reduce the farther away from the bulb. So with a T5HO fixture and a 6% or 5.0 UVB bulb you would want a 8-9 inch distance from where the fixture sits on the cage top and the highest branch below it.

Once you move into a T8 fixture your dealing with much less output. I doubt he is getting any UVB where he is now with how you have the T8 and the 5.0 set up. This is why I said you need to drop it down to the screen top. You do not want to deal with MBD.

Per the thermal burn. I am willing to bet he is getting them because he can get so close to the bulb on that side. He is within inches of it. Just because a temp is within limits does not mean the bulb at a few inches away does not have the ability to burn the skin.

Based on where the burns are on both sides this is a very common area for thermal burns. Because they are angled towards the heat bulb. The white is the burn and the discoloration around the white is the edge of it. So you need to get silver sulfadiazine cream from a vet. Most will require you to bring him in for a vet visit. You want to start treating the burn sooner than later. And you need to lift that fixture for heat up and away from the screen top more.

When you lay out the new cage. Make sure your entire basking area sits 8-10 inches down from the screen including any vertical bracing branches. You do not want him climbing higher under a fixture that he is supposed to be 9 inches away from.

They simply do not know any better. They do not understand it will burn them. In the wild they can bask out in full sun and not get a thermal burn. So we have to really think out set up to prevent an accident in our cages.

They are like toddlers and you have to think 10 steps ahead of them when it comes to setting up a safe space. lol

Update here, we finished the new enclosure! I think this one will be much better for his health. The highest branches are 9 or so inches from the light.

In the meantime, I bought a Manuka honey paste to treat his thermal burn while I wait until I can get silvadene. Going to start treating that ASAP.

Thanks again for everyone’s help!

Attachments

• IMG_2741.jpeg
    IMG_2741.jpeg
    271.7 KB · Views: 34
Update here, we finished the new enclosure! I think this one will be much better for his health. The highest branches are 9 or so inches from the light.

In the meantime, I bought a Manuka honey paste to treat his thermal burn while I wait until I can get silvadene. Going to start treating that ASAP.

Gorgeous! Do keep us posted on your guy’s spot and it’s progress, :)

Great job... I would throw in a few horizontals going side to side on that top level.

Guys, it’s happening again on the other side 😭

As you can see in the pic, he’s far down (9”) and it’s only 81 degrees. Bulb is the 100W daylight blue from zoomed (because the 20W zoomed nor 40W flukers were getting warm enough). He’s also going through a shed so maybe it’s related to that? I am stumped though! I will continue to apply the silvadene on both sides now but let me know if you have any other thoughts!

Attachments

• IMG_2755.jpeg
    IMG_2755.jpeg
    221.2 KB · Views: 33
Man I don’t know. If he were mine I would probably take him to the vet to see if they can help figure out what’s going on.

As you can see in the pic, he’s far down (9”) and it’s only 81 degrees. Bulb is the 100W daylight blue from zoomed (because the 20W zoomed nor 40W flukers were getting warm enough). He’s also going through a shed so maybe it’s related to that? I am stumped though! I will continue to apply the silvadene on both sides now but let me know if you have any other thoughts!
Auditor husband here: To clarify, it’s the 60w daylight blue as the 40w zoomed and 60w flickers weren’t getting warm enough*

The only thing i can think of is the bulb is hot spotting. You may need to angle it so that a n ellipse of heat is hitting instead of a tight circle.

Or adult colors are coming in and we are talking about nothing. I mean aside from the coloring, its not showing any other signs of burning. and now the patterns match both sides?

Aside from that, ive always ran low wattage (under 50 watt, normally 35) halogen and ran them from the side of the cage. Something like morning sun vs top dead center noon sun.

I also always targeted between 90-95f at the basking zone, though newer research says this is too hot unless there is a massive gradient. never got burns.

When you say "It's happening again", do you mean this goes away and comes back?

If so, I really still feel this is something natural. Maybe due to a shed coming like you mentioned. Maybe it's just part of his colors coming through in general? The fact it's on both sides seems like it's either perfectly fine and natural, or maybe something in that area internally is bothering him causing those colors? But again it's on both sides so Idk I just doubt that.

I hope he's ok! Remember they're experts at hiding when something is wrong (likely as a survival skill).

Back
Top Bottom