MISSED TWO FEEDINGS AND NOW ACTING DIFFERENT - HELP

What is your basking temp? If it isn’t over 32c and he’s gaping from being too hot, then I would be taking him to the vet and getting blood work done.
Thank you! I just visited the vets rushed in with him he had “ping worms” are they called? but she said it wasn’t enough to think the behaviour he was showing was anything to do with them. After she had a look at him she couldn’t see anything wrong with him and the moment I got him there he stopped acting up too and she said it’s likely something has stressed him out and that’s why he’s acting the way he is so now I’ve had to hunt down all the feeders he’s chosen to not eat and work out wtf he is so bothered about given the room has not changed for a year 🤣
So this was why I was asking about the eyes... When they are farther inset like that it is an indication that there is something going on health wise.

Have you seen him pass a urate or fecal?

I agree with @MissSkittles
thank you! He actually pass fecal at the vets from the stress of the mouth check and his rusted were great and his fecal had ping worms besides that he’s fine and they gave him a real good luck

Thank you! I just visited the vets rushed in with him he had “ping worms” are they called? but she said it wasn’t enough to think the behaviour he was showing was anything to do with them. After she had a look at him she couldn’t see anything wrong with him and the moment I got him there he stopped acting up too and she said it’s likely something has stressed him out and that’s why he’s acting the way he is so now I’ve had to hunt down all the feeders he’s chosen to not eat and work out wtf he is so bothered about given the room has not changed for a year 🤣

thank you! He actually pass fecal at the vets from the stress of the mouth check and his rusted were great and his fecal had ping worms besides that he’s fine and they gave him a real good luck
Did you check your basking temp?

Also, could you go through your temps through the enclosure and humidity in general?

If removing him from his enclosure seemed to remove the stress he had, then something needs to be done about his enclosure. Him being stressed being in there is a major issue. I'm glad you received good news from the vet!! But there's still work to do because something is bothering him.

Did you check your basking temp?

Also, could you go through your temps through the enclosure and humidity in general?

If removing him from his enclosure seemed to remove the stress he had, then something needs to be done about his enclosure. Him being stressed being in there is a major issue. I'm glad you received good news from the vet!! But there's still work to do because something is bothering him.
Yeah I’ve monitored it throughout, up top peaks around 30 and it’s on a thermostat - this is in the day - the humidity holds 40-50 in the day (I live in the uk so it’s deffo colder the lower he gets lol)

At night 10-15C and 70+ humidity with good airflow.

Since going back in he’s doing a little bit of gaping but he’s deffo not too hot but he did get a shot down his throat for the ping worms

Yeah I’ve monitored it throughout, up top peaks around 30 and it’s on a thermostat - this is in the day - the humidity holds 40-50 in the day (I live in the uk so it’s deffo colder the lower he gets lol)

At night 10-15C and 70+ humidity with good airflow.

Since going back in he’s doing a little bit of gaping but he’s deffo not too hot but he did get a shot down his throat for the ping worms
ok so 30c would be 86f. Which for my male panther was too high and was gaping a bit when it was that high.

I dropped his basking area down to 27c (or 81f), and that gaping stopped. Maybe wait for one of the more experienced keepers, but I am almost certain you should try to drop that basking temp down to about 27c.

ok so 30c would be 86f. Which for my male panther was too high and was gaping a bit when it was that high.

I dropped his basking area down to 27c (or 81f), and that gaping stopped. Maybe wait for one of the more experienced keepers, but I am almost certain you should try to drop that basking temp down to about 27c.
Thank you Steve I’ll give it a go! Just think it’s a bit weird given it’s never changed :(

Thank you Steve I’ll give it a go! Just think it’s a bit weird given it’s never changed :(
It's worth a shot. You won't hurt him by doing this and it's what most of us seem to have our basking areas at.

There could possibly be some change that just somehow pushed him over the edge? Maybe your ambient temps are higher, causing this to have more of an affect? Just spitballing.

I think it's worth trying. See how it goes. If there are no changes, then back to the drawing board.

Steve you wouldn’t believe it. I’ve just turned his heat lamp off and two mins later he’s stopped

Steve you wouldn’t believe it. I’ve just turned his heat lamp off and two mins later he’s stopped
Wow. So that quick he looks good now? If this is the case maybe invest in a lower wattage bulb, or do what you have to do to keep that temp lower (but still providing adequate heat). I use a heating lamp that actually controls the temp so it never goes over 81f ( 27c). This is great!

Never mind he’s started again
Give it time for him to adjust. I wouldn't say turn it off completely. Just lower the heat. If you don't have a temp controlled basking lamp, you can raise the basking lamp until it reaches desired temp of where it's hitting the branch your chameleon basks on.

So he does have pin worms. But the vet said it was not a high parasite load? I would go ahead and treat him for them if you are seeing a behavior change in appetite. Keep in mind with temps... We are going into a season change where most of us are running heat in the house which increases the ambient cage temps. If your branch is hitting 81 I would not have it any higher than that. Because where they rise up it is hotter.

Back
Top Bottom