What the.....

Vmag86

Today I noticed a quarter-inch hair thin string hanging from my male panthers vent. Its whitish-clear looking. Could this be a sperm plug? I also noticed he was much more aggressive today... he is usually very docile but today he was hissing and opening up his mouth. Whats the deal? Thoughts?

Today I noticed a quarter-inch hair thin string hanging from my male panthers vent. Its whitish-clear looking. Could this be a sperm plug? I also noticed he was much more aggressive today... he is usually very docile but today he was hissing and opening up his mouth. Whats the deal? Thoughts?

Yes, that is a sperm plug. I don't know the age of your panther but based on your description an his recent behavior, he's maturing sexually. Like a teenage boy lol. Just give him space and time/ privacy and he will come around

I'm not joking, this guy is livid! Prowling around cage like a mad man, trying to climb screens. And like I said before, he's been real pissy. LOL I tried to handfeed him a superworm like i always do, and I thought he was going to try to take my fingers along with it!

Oh and he's a year and three months old

I'm not joking, this guy is livid! Prowling around cage like a mad man, trying to climb screens. And like I said before, he's been real pissy. LOL I tried to handfeed him a superworm like i always do, and I thought he was going to try to take my fingers along with it!

I know exactly how you feel all too well. I have a male that was the most aggressive juvenile I've ever seen. Used to shoot around the cage and charge my hands every time I entered the cage hissing and mouth open at me. Even used to leave sperm plugs smeared all over the walls of his cage marking his terriority. A few short months later and a lot of trust earned, he is one of the nicest panthers I've ever owned. I know it's hard, but just give it time and most do come around.

are you guys sure it isn't a parasitic worm of some kind?

By the descriptions given, yes, it is most likely a sperm plug. I had my share of animals with worms over the years, and most are so microscopic that can only be seen through a fecal under a microscope. Not saying its not possible, as I don't believe much of anything is impossible, but I have never seen a worm crawl out of a reptile vent before. Also taken into account the animals behavior, most with parasites are very lethargic etc...his disposition shows the exact opposite. Like I said, not saying anything is impossible but.... To the original poster, if you still have the plug, you can take a pic to ease your mind and get further confirmation by all means. Good luck

Back
Top Bottom