Not sure - eyes

Yes, I put it up away 12 inches and measured but just added the extra inch. branch is about 7 inches down at highest so i raised it the remainder off of the cage. But since it is not the uv causing the issues I am going to put the 6% back on and set back on cage.

yea i moved it that 12 inch distance away but i was just replacing because I thought my 6% couldve just been faulty and they only had 12% at the store yesterday - but ive had it less then 3 months and its the arcadia t5 pro so it should last a lot longer and now that I am ruling out uv I am going to switch back to the 6%

Yeah your Arcadia UVB bulb should last 12 months before replacing... But due to what you have said about the symptoms I do not think it UVB related. I think the eye closing is due to the illness. They go into this shut down where they do not feel good and the eyes closing is a response to that.

does anybody with experience or knowing someone that has ever used Ceftazidime or other antibiotics with success have a time frame on how long it takes for them to start showing signs of improvement? started doses monday and today was 2nd dose (thursday)

That's a tough question to answer. After 2-3 days you might not see improvement but if there is any worsening of their condition it's not working. Holding steady rather than declining is a good sign at this point. I would expect to see some sign of improvement, like less stringy saliva over the next few days. I haven't used cefalosporins like Ceftaziamine with mine so I don't know how long or often its given or exactly what to expect.

It sounds like you are getting injections. Be sure they are given in the front half of the body, reptile circulation can eliminate drugs given in the back half of the body before they reach full circulation rendering them ineffective.

That's a tough question to answer. After 2-3 days you might not see improvement but if there is any worsening of their condition it's not working. Holding steady rather than declining is a good sign at this point. I would expect to see some sign of improvement, like less stringy saliva over the next few days. I haven't used cefalosporins like Ceftaziamine with mine so I don't know how long or often its given or exactly what to expect.

It sounds like you are getting injections. Be sure they are given in the front half of the body, reptile circulation can eliminate drugs given in the back half of the body before they reach full circulation rendering them ineffective.
Thanks for the response.

So he wasn't having saliva and all that it was just eyes starting to close and heard him cough. I am not around enough during the day to see how the breathing is but ok I will keep an eye on behavior.

does anybody with experience or knowing someone that has ever used Ceftazidime or other antibiotics with success have a time frame on how long it takes for them to start showing signs of improvement? started doses monday and today was 2nd dose (thursday)
So my vet gave us TINY amounts of Ceftazimide to inject daily for 10 days. He said this is only something he does with chams, as other reptiles would get a larger dose every 2-3 days. He admitted it's not a typical way to dose this medication but he's had a lot of success with it in chams. It was more traumatic for us all for sure to do injections for 10 days, but Paulie bounced back quickly. We started to see his appetite increase and him cruise around more after about day 3. The vet said I caught the infection VERY early. Since you have a different course of treatment, I feel like this isn't entirely helpful. But like @JacksJill mentioned above, our vet said to administer at mid-back and forward on the body. He suggested the shoulder/armpit area. I'm so sorry you're going through this! I know how stressful this is! 🫶 If your baby seems to be getting worse and not at least maintaining, a call to the vet never hurts. Sending hugs.

so today marks 1 week since we went to the vet and yesterday was the 3rd dose.

i turned up heat and also brought him in the bathroom with it fogged up for 10 mins yesterday and the day before.

updates:

-he still isn't really eating, was able to get him another hornworm in on friday or saturday.
-eyes are still closed
-this morning he was taking deep breathes, haven't seen him choke or cough like last weekend but still hearing wheezing and crackling. sleeping on mesh at night (top corners of cage).
-yesterday was the worst day giving injections, all trust has been lost between us and he was flaring up and biting when I had to give it to him. started gasping and taking big breathes as he was so stressed after that injection I think. every interaction with him he is now mad.
-ceftazidime does not seem to be making it better but he doesn't seem to be getting worse. HELP! I know time is ticking so ideas?

Perhaps it is time to change antibiotics. What did the culture and sensitivity say? Batril is a good second choice antibiotic but you will need to maintain hydration.
ok i will call vet and see. I heard baytril was rough on their bodies. didnt get a culture we started on ceftazidime first day I went by there.

I try not to use Baytril first but it can be effective. It’s hard on the kidneys in animals that are dehydrated. You may need to do an extra dripping or two a day or even force feed if your chameleon isn’t drinking or eating juicy caterpillars . Discuss that with your vet to determine amount per day.

Back
Top Bottom