what is your experience with the mistking in a wire cage

ChamSky

After a lot of research I will be purchasing a Mistking system for my veild cham (who I do not have yet, getting all the supplies first)

I've seen a lot of vids of it in action in glass enclosures, what I'm wondering is how it does in the screen cages. Do you notice water getting sprayed outside the cage onto walls or carpet a lot? Do people use at least one plastic wall barrier for one side of the cage?

In my reptibreeze I am going to build a square Plexiglas 'pan' about 5" high to reduce water draining out/help with mess of plants

i use a towel at the back side of the cage and just aim the nozzles accordingly.. It works great I don't notice any over spray... Very minor if any at all

Just aim the nozzles as stated above. Depending on the size of enclosure you can be creative to keeping the outside from getting wet. Hanging plants/fake plants that attach at the top so the mist can collect on them instead of outside the enclosure.

Droplets from leaves will splash on the bottom of enclosure which will eventually spray water outside from my own experience. Use some kind of plastic on bottom for all sides to prevent this. Also growing plants will make new obstacles so you will have to cut them from time to time.

I've had a mistking system running 3 spray heads on 2 cages for almost 6 years. I don't have any issues with over spray. I run my misters up to 1/2 hour at a time.

My cages are rather heavily planted and the spray heads are directed towards the center of the cage.

My only problem was having to put the cages on pedestals so I could put drain holes in the bottoms.

I absolutely love my Mist King system.

The only bit of advice I would give is...

Either clean out the spray nozzles once a month or get an in-line filter.
The spray heads have a tiny screen that catches particles of crud before they clog the nozzles.

You can also soak the nozzles in a little warm vinegar to get rid of any white deposits that can accumulate when using tap water.

Here is a short video on how to clean the spray head/nozzle

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dk9BBCg1Ko8

After a lot of research I will be purchasing a Mistking system for my veild cham (who I do not have yet, getting all the supplies first)

I've seen a lot of vids of it in action in glass enclosures, what I'm wondering is how it does in the screen cages. Do you notice water getting sprayed outside the cage onto walls or carpet a lot? Do people use at least one plastic wall barrier for one side of the cage?

In my reptibreeze I am going to build a square Plexiglas 'pan' about 5" high to reduce water draining out/help with mess of plants

When you get all your cage and supplies set up you can run trials with the Mist king to see where there might be overspray. Then you can put strategic sheet plastic on a wall, on a piece of furniture, part of the carpet, etc. if necessary. Trial and error.

Just aim the nozzles as stated above. Depending on the size of enclosure you can be creative to keeping the outside from getting wet. Hanging plants/fake plants that attach at the top so the mist can collect on them instead of outside the enclosure.

I plan to do a lot of plant shopping (pothos, baby umbrella, ficus, you know the norms :p )
Enclosure is 24x24x48
Looks like ill have one in the front and maybe a side one going crosswise onto a plant

Droplets from leaves will splash on the bottom of enclosure which will eventually spray water outside from my own experience. Use some kind of plastic on bottom for all sides to prevent this. Also growing plants will make new obstacles so you will have to cut them from time to time.

I plan to silicone a plexiglass pan about 5" high around the bottom (the enclosure comes with just a bottom but that wont be enough)

I've had a mistking system running 3 spray heads on 2 cages for almost 6 years. I don't have any issues with over spray. I run my misters up to 1/2 hour at a time.

My cages are rather heavily planted and the spray heads are directed towards the center of the cage.

My only problem was having to put the cages on pedestals so I could put drain holes in the bottoms.

I absolutely love my Mist King system.

The only bit of advice I would give is...

Either clean out the spray nozzles once a month or get an in-line filter.
The spray heads have a tiny screen that catches particles of crud before they clog the nozzles.

You can also soak the nozzles in a little warm vinegar to get rid of any white deposits that can accumulate when using tap water.

Here is a short video on how to clean the spray head/nozzle

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dk9BBCg1Ko8

Thanks for the info! I was going to use RO water since I can get it easily to prevent build up. I plan to hand spray with well water occasionally too.
Mine is going to be on a custom stand but I am going to be collecting water from a custom build pan, will add drainage if I find its not working. Ill have a total of 8ft around to work with.
How often do your misters run a day on a 1/2hr cycle?

When you get all your cage and supplies set up you can run trials with the Mist king to see where there might be overspray. Then you can put strategic sheet plastic on a wall, on a piece of furniture, part of the carpet, etc. if necessary. Trial and error.

Luckily I have a lot of options for that, I run a workshop in crafting and have a lot of large pieces of corrugated plastic, high density polyethylene, plexiglass, PVC (sintra) plastic sheets, and regular polyethylene that I can cut to size or even drill holes through to allow airflow but greatly reduce any excess water that may be coming out

If you use distilled or RO water in your resuviour you won't have to clean the minerals out of your spray nozzles.

My misters run for 30 seconds every 2 to 3 hours.

Then at 10 and 1 the misters run for 10 min

3 times a week on mon, wed, and fri the misters run for 30 min at 10 and 1

I also have a rain dome that runs for 1 hour twice daily 1 to 2

All the above is adjusted based on humidity

The cage is dry by the time lights go out except for the screen under the dome

If you use distilled or RO water in your resuviour you won't have to clean the minerals out of your spray nozzles.

That's probably what I'll end up doing then. I have RO lreadily available so why not right? Lol
Less cleaning for me!

Just ordered the mistking system (standard) with one extra nozzle last night! Thanks to all the info here I was able to make a smart investment. Can't wait till it comes in! We're going to have one happy cham

Just ordered the mistking system (standard) with one extra nozzle last night! Thanks to all the info here I was able to make a smart investment. Can't wait till it comes in! We're going to have one happy cham

You will absolutely love your mistking. It's a great product and will give you peace of mind when not at home.

My misters run for 30 seconds every 2 to 3 hours.

Then at 10 and 1 the misters run for 10 min

3 times a week on mon, wed, and fri the misters run for 30 min at 10 and 1

I also have a rain dome that runs for 1 hour twice daily 1 to 2

All the above is adjusted based on humidity

The cage is dry by the time lights go out except for the screen under the dome

Cool, thanks for your misting schedule. Gives me a basic idea of where to start. Picking up some plants soon and going to get the cage ready with the mister and plants to make sure the humidity is where it needs to be. We have a VERY dry house, usually 20% if our small humidifier isn't on and 35-40% when its on, it'll be right next to the chams cage. We do plan on buying a bigger humidifier for the room anyway. That may help a bit.

Last edited:
You will absolutely love your mistking. It's a great product and will give you peace of mind when not at home.

I alllmooost bought the exoterra monsoon but after reading reviews forget it! That's exactly what I want is peice of mind and the best for this exotic creature. I don't like to skimp on quality. Who knew someone could be so excited for a misting system? Haha

Back
Top Bottom