Chameleon has eyes closed during day

painfultomato

IMG_2374.JPG

** His eyes are not closed here due to me being in the cage, he is just looking downward. He also doesn't usually hang out in the corner like this but rather just random spots in cage, I had just fed him so he was basking but moved over when I opened the door **

So my chameleon has been stopping in random spots over the last few days with his eyes closed. I am not entirely sure what the issue is as this take setup seems to be just fine.
He does not look into the sky when he does it, not even once, so I am inclined to feel it isn't a sickness, as my very first chameleon suffered from this and would look into the sky and almost gasp for air. I still have lots of medicine for this, as the vet provided a lot lol.
Secondly, he isn't really turning black ever, he still maintains his pretty colors.
I am not sure if this could be a vitamin deficiency or not. I do lightly dust crickets with vitamins on each feeding, so maybe I am just not doing it right? If it is a vitamin deficiency, what are some recommended fruits etc for him?

Feeding is:
wax worms
meal worms
crickets

They are all dusted with calcium (no d3 and vitamins) each feeding. I usually do 10 - 25 crickets or 5 - 10 worms. (Usually all gone by next day)
Sundays they are dusted with calcium with d3 and vitamins with d3
No the reason I say usually gone by next day is that recently he hasn't been eating them all. I still have a handful of crickets in cage today as I am typing this.

Habitat size is 16" (~41cm) x 16" (~41cm) x 24" (~61cm) Height
Hybrid cage with full glass back, full glass front, half glass & half wire mess sides, and wire mesh top (Helps control humidity & temp)
Bedding is slight soil substrate with low moisture moss (Again humidity). This is not that coco whatever the heck (worried about compaction) more a fine kind of grassy plains idea in an attempt to simulate that of his native terrain. I can go into a lot of specifics of composition if it will help with finding out what is going on. As he relieves himself I tend to pick up droppings with a scoop that removes some of this. It is re-mixed bi weekly to prevent molds. Replaced entirely monthly.

habitat conditions (yellow thermometer is basking.
relative temperature sits around high 70's (~25°C)
basking is usually 87-88 (30-31°C)
Humidity is usually 75-80%

Night:
relative temp mid 60's to low 70's (18. - 22°C)
basking = relative
humidity mid 60's%

I use a non light heating element for night time heat adjustment
Usually only ambient light at night (very low level, non UVB)
He does not get moved or disturb while sleeping

When investigating he does not seem to have any indication of MBD. His grip is strong, he is very alert when I am around or opening his cage. He also is very alert when fresh food is insert. Not like a dart eyes around like a maniac alert, but from what I can tell looking around in a fairly smooth (as smooth as chameleons are usually) manner.
Now a few weeks back I left town for 4 days. This isn't usually a huge concern as his light cycles are all automated. I have sensors in the cage (not the ones in the picture) that are connected to an arduino to control his temperatures and humidity without the need of human intervention. However, in this particular instance a breaker had flipped (I am assume to some sort of surge as some really bad storms were happening at this time) and everything was shut off for this time period. According to the last known read he went a day and a half without any lighting, temp control, and humidity control. You may be asking, how was he fed. Again I had someone dropping by once daily to take care of feeding, however they couldn't on the day before last (except in the morning once) and not the last at all, in which I didn't arrive home until shortly before midnight. All light he had was coming from the window.
I didn't think much of it due to his normal nature for the week after, but idk. I am at a loss.
The log files for cage conditions don't show any abnormalities.

Oh, I totally forgot this. Humidity is controlled using a fogger. The water I use for this (and in the morning when spraying) comes from sealed filter spring water (minerals) and purified water (reverse osmosis) in a 75% spring 25% purified mix. When the sensors detect a drop of humidity below 70% during the day, the fogger will dial up (or on) quite a bit to bring that back up. At around 75% it dials back to kind of an idle and follows a curve of reduction if humidity continues to increase when approaching 80%. When going over 80% dials back much more and if hitting 83% will shutoff entirely, until 70% again. The reason for shutoff entirely is just incase there is some sort of malfunction or other factor causing the humidity to be increased quite significantly. This does not happen often however, as the program is designed to learn based off the past. When approaching lights off, this method changes. Fogger will dial back approx 1.5 hours beforehand. I say approx, because if we are sitting closer to 80% the number is closer to 2 hours, where if we are at lows 70's we are around 1 hour. This will drop back to the 60 - 65 % range.

Lighting will also begin to start dimming at one hour. This is fixed. This is on a basic fractional where every minutes light intensity reduces by 1.6% each minute, with the last minute turning off entirely. Since I have fade in and fade out light cycles, he is on a 14 hour cycle from on to off, with full exposure for 12.

Temperature works similarly. Again non light emitting temperature for the most part, unless I have some weird instance where temperature is significantly lower than usual, where I have a secondary light emitting heating element that will kick on to compensate. This is nice for two reason. First, if it's like winter and says some weird instance happens like a baseball goes through my window while I am not home and temperature starts dropping extensively. Secondly, says my non light emitting heating element burns out. Obviously I would have no idea until I personally look at the temp gauges in the cage, but an extra amount of light showing from his cage would be a pretty obvious indication that for some reason something is not right and I need to investigate. Now why not just do two non light heat elements? Personal fear that I may not notice primary is out and then secondary burns and there is a blizzard or something and I can't leave for several days (few years ago I had a puppy break his leg a few years back during a blizzard and I had to stint his poor little leg and wait two days before making it to an emergency vet where I had to pick the doc up and travel to the office as snow was still too bad to drive), so I want to know right away when it has gone bad asap.

I know this is a lot, but no other pets cross his path. I am the only living being he has direct vision of throughout the day, with an occasional other person once in a blue moon, as he is in my home office that is private and generally has the doors closed. I do not have a pupper anymore, sadly, nor any other roaming animals. I say roaming, because I have a smaller fish tank located just above my desk screens that has mainly shrimps and catfish. Just him and I live here.

Last, but not least, I spray once in the morning to simulate that morning due type of environment and get some good droplets on the plants etc. I know they like to wake up, feast, drink, then go chill in basking to let digest, this is why I do it this way.
Any tips, info, requests for more pics or anything? Maybe somebody has gone through similar and figured it out.

**** EDIT pretty sure it is a lighting issue. I took a 48" UVB light that has had maybe one hours time on it and set it vertically along the side of his tank. He is now sideways facing butt up on the edge of the tank right in front of the bulb with his one side slightly black. He is also opening his eyes and looking around every once in a while, not just when I am in his cage. I will be replacing his bulb soon. ****

Last edited:
Hi so this will take minute or too to go through, but first observations your supplements you should only be giving a plain calcium no phosphorus nod3 every feed like pangea, and then twice a month say the 15th and the 30th a multivitamin +d3 like repti vite, your enclosure is too small needs upgrading to a minimum of 2x2x4, humidity is way to high for a yeman needs to ba 30%50% maximum ambient. Unless you are doing bioactive I would remove the substrate as this is most likely pushing your humidity up and in a mostly glass enclosure with high temperatures is not healthy. No heat at night as they need a good drop in temperature ( or lights ) unless your home is dropping below 50 f 55 f. I will have a look at the rest of your info in a bit , if you can post pictures of what I have asked that would be great 👍

Hi so this will take minute or too to go through, but first observations your supplements you should only be giving a plain calcium no phosphorus nod3 every feed like pangea, and then twice a month say the 15th and the 30th a multivitamin +d3 like repti vite, your enclosure is too small needs upgrading to a minimum of 2x2x4, humidity is way to high for a yeman needs to ba 30%50% maximum ambient. Unless you are doing bioactive I would remove the substrate as this is most likely pushing your humidity up and in a mostly glass enclosure with high temperatures is not healthy. No heat at night as they need a good drop in temperature ( or lights ) unless your home is dropping below 50 f 55 f. I will have a look at the rest of your info in a bit , if you can post pictures of what I have asked that would be great 👍
I do use repti vite for vitamin (d3 and non). I will switch to every other sunday then. In terms of humidity, I have never read or seen anywhere that it should be below 50%. According to all information I can find, 70-80% is idea, with minimum at 50%. This includes the information the vet provided me. So I am just curious where those numbers come from. I can upgrade his cage size to 2x2x4 as I do have an open air of that size, I was just under the impression that the younger chameleons (< 10 months) could get stressed out or something like that in larger enclosures?
Additionally, after hanging out in the new light for a while he ventured downward and snagged up a few crickets, but is hanging out again at bottom of cage with eyes closed. My house does get down to mid 50's/low 60's at night. I can reduce his night temp down to 60F.

Attachments

• IMG_2376.png
    IMG_2376.png
    1.8 MB · Views: 54
  • IMG_2377.png
    IMG_2377.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 51
  • IMG_2380.png
    IMG_2380.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 50
  • IMG_2378.png
    IMG_2378.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 53
Last edited:
Hi foggers should not be run during the day this is not natural they should only be run at night when temps are low below ideally 65 f( this can lead to respiratory problems) running during the day .

Repashy vitamin a every other month, 3 crickets or so lightly dusted with it. Gutload your insecs. Look up sandrachameleons here, she has a blogg about it. The humidity is too high. The come from dry enviroments where humidity comes at night. High humidity with warmth cause Respiratory infections. The uvb light should be set on the top of the cage not the sides. make sure the top of the enclosure is full screen. You need a t5 linear tube arcadia uvb. They can take low temperatures at night. down to 10 celcius.

Repashy vitamin a every other month, 3 crickets or so lightly dusted with it. Gutload your insecs. Look up sandrachameleons here, she has a blogg about it. The humidity is too high. The come from dry enviroments where humidity comes at night. High humidity with warmth cause Respiratory infections. The uvb light should be set on the top of the cage not the sides. make sure the top of the enclosure is full screen. You need a t5 linear tube arcadia uvb. They can take low temperatures at night. down to 10 celcius.
light was only placed on side due to low space on top to see if he would go towards it or indicate a lighting issue. Is now removed. I have T5 UVB bulbs

Hi foggers should not be run during the day this is not natural they should only be run at night when temps are low below ideally 65 f( this can lead to respiratory problems) running during the day .
he's a veiled, which I believe is yeman yes. I will reduce humidity and switch back to open air

he's a veiled, which I believe is yeman yes. I will reduce humidity and switch back to open air
If you read through this post and what I have said and recommended, and I will look through
The last parts tomorrow, there are quite a few changes that need doing but I believe you are on the right page and definitely in the right place to do so ,with your feeders, waxworms and mealworms should only be given occasionally , staple feeders like crickets also include locusts, black soldier fly larve, dubia roaches, silkworms, providing a variety is good but also having a good gutload

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230513_194102_Samsung Internet.jpg
    Screenshot_20230513_194102_Samsung Internet.jpg
    95.2 KB · Views: 46
If you read through this post and what I have said and recommended, and I will look through
The last parts tomorrow, there are quite a few changes that need doing but I believe you are on the right page and definitely in the right place to do so ,with your feeders, waxworms and mealworms should only be given occasionally , staple feeders like crickets also include locusts, black soldier fly larve, dubia roaches, silkworms, providing a variety is good but also having a good gutload
i’ll read everything and make the needed changes. I kind of know what gut loading is. I use a high calcium cricket food that I give to them for 24 hours before feeding. Is this the same?

Hi there... I am seeing quite a few things that should be adjusted. Start reading this https://chameleonacademy.com/chameleon-husbandry-program-getting-started-with-chameleons/ It is going to point out quite a bit for you and help you with adjustments.

I may have time to get online later to go through your entire husbandry. I am also tagging @MissSkittles in case she is online and able to do it before I am.
If neither of us have by tomorrow please reply to this message so I can come back to it to get it done for you.

Hi and welcome. You’ve given a lot of info and I need a bit of time to sort thru. I’ll probably be repeating much of what @Flick boy has already said as well but I’m just waking and caffeinating myself.

I’ll be splitting this into smaller parts as it’s easier for my brain plus I talk a lot. :) Also, since you are using metric measures I kind of am assuming you’re not in the US, so will try to use metric in turn.

So my chameleon has been stopping in random spots over the last few days with his eyes closed. I am not entirely sure what the issue is as this take setup seems to be just fine. With all kindness, you’ll be needing to make lots of changes for your little cutie.
He does not look into the sky when he does it, not even once, so I am inclined to feel it isn't a sickness, as my very first chameleon suffered from this and would look into the sky and almost gasp for air. I still have lots of medicine for this, as the vet provided a lot lol. Sounds like your first chameleon had a respiratory infection. This little guy is well on his way to one, so let’s talk improvements.
Secondly, he isn't really turning black ever, he still maintains his pretty colors. This isn’t necessarily a good thing. Turning black is usually to absorb heat and uvb. Pretty colors (also known as being ‘fired up’) is often from a stressor. Resting colors of a healthy relaxed chameleon are actually just kind of dull.
I am not sure if this could be a vitamin deficiency or not. I do lightly dust crickets with vitamins on each feeding, so maybe I am just not doing it right? You’ve got the right supplements and if I am understanding correctly, he may be getting too many. I believe @Flick boy went over this already, but I’ll repeat. You want to use a phosphorus free calcium without D3 lightly dusted at every feeding except when using a different supplement. If you have ReptiVite with D3, you will use this for one feeding every other week. That’s it - easy peasy. You do not want to give any additional vitamin A or D3 or any others. ReptiVite contains all that he needs. If it is a vitamin deficiency, what are some recommended fruits etc for him? Even though veileds will eat fruits and veggies, they have zero need for them and the sugars of fruits aren’t good for their little systems. Much better is to provide a diet of a variety of live staple feeders and treat bugs. It’s important that your bugs be as healthy as possible, so give them the veggies. I prefer keeping my feeder bugs well fed at all times rather than specifically gut loading. Providing graphics below to help guide you.

Feeding is:
wax worms
meal worms
crickets

They are all dusted with calcium (no d3 and vitamins) each feeding. I usually do 10 - 25 crickets or 5 - 10 worms. (Usually all gone by next day) I can’t really see him well enough, but he looks to be quite young - maybe 3 months old? If he is that young, you’ll want to feed him as much as he can eat in about a 15-20 minute period, twice a day. Once he is around 4 months and starting to show his bars more, you can reduce him to once a day.
Sundays they are dusted with calcium with d3 and vitamins with d3
No the reason I say usually gone by next day is that recently he hasn't been eating them all. I still have a handful of crickets in cage today as I am typing this. You don’t want to leave any uneaten feeders, especially crickets, in his enclosure. At night they will get hungry and take bites of your cham. You can put a small sliver of carrot or something in the bottom for them just in case. I do suggest getting some sort of feeding station so he will always know where to find his food. A tall deli cup, special commercial feeder, whatever.

Habitat size is 16" (~41cm) x 16" (~41cm) x 24" (~61cm) Height This may be ok for a baby, but veileds grow fast (don’t blink) and soon he’ll be needing at least a minimum of 60x60x120 cm. Mesh enclosures can be altered into more like a hybrid very easily.
Hybrid cage with full glass back, full glass front, half glass & half wire mess sides, and wire mesh top (Helps control humidity & temp)
Bedding is slight soil substrate with low moisture moss (Again humidity). This is not that coco whatever the heck (worried about compaction) more a fine kind of grassy plains idea in an attempt to simulate that of his native terrain. I can go into a lot of specifics of composition if it will help with finding out what is going on. No substrate unless you are doing a full bioactive. That is something that I would suggest only after you get all of his husbandry down to being as perfect as possible and can recite it in your sleep. ;)As he relieves himself I tend to pick up droppings with a scoop that removes some of this. Very good to keep things clean. It is re-mixed bi weekly to prevent molds. Replaced entirely monthly. Most hygienic is to keep the floor bare and easy to clean.

habitat conditions (yellow thermometer is basking.
relative temperature sits around high 70's (~25°C)
basking is usually 87-88 (30-31°C) Way too hot! For little ones (and girls) you don’t want temps above 26/27c. Adult males should have a max temp of around 29c.
Humidity is usually 75-80% This is way too high for daytime! Ideal humidity for the day is between 30-50%. High humidity plus heat greatly increases risks for respiratory infection. Adding in the somewhat limited ventilation of glass enclosures and it’s not good odds at all.

Night:
relative temp mid 60's to low 70's (18. - 22°C) Yes! You want a nice temp drop so he’ll have a cool night. Below 21c is ideal.
basking = relative
humidity mid 60's% If you can achieve a consistent temp drop below at least 20/21c, then is when you can run the fogger and boost humidity as high as you can get it. This simulates the natural hydration cycle of fog in the wild.
To be continued….

IMG_0151.jpeg
IMG_1188.jpeg

I use a non light heating element for night time heat adjustment Unless your night time temps get below 12/13c at night, is not needed at all. No heat and no light at night. You want your lights and heat on a 12 hour cycle. Timers always make this easier.
Usually only ambient light at night (very low level, non UVB)
He does not get moved or disturb while sleeping Good

When investigating he does not seem to have any indication of MBD. His grip is strong, he is very alert when I am around or opening his cage. He also is very alert when fresh food is insert. Not like a dart eyes around like a maniac alert, but from what I can tell looking around in a fairly smooth (as smooth as chameleons are usually) manner. I’d like to see some clearer pics of him. Your supplements are close enough to correct that he shouldn’t have mbd, but what type of uvb light are you using? Where is it located? What is the distance between the uvb light and basking area? Improper uvb can cause mbd.
Now a few weeks back I left town for 4 days. This isn't usually a huge concern as his light cycles are all automated. I have sensors in the cage (not the ones in the picture) that are connected to an arduino to control his temperatures and humidity without the need of human intervention. However, in this particular instance a breaker had flipped (I am assume to some sort of surge as some really bad storms were happening at this time) and everything was shut off for this time period. According to the last known read he went a day and a half without any lighting, temp control, and humidity control. You may be asking, how was he fed. Again I had someone dropping by once daily to take care of feeding, however they couldn't on the day before last (except in the morning once) and not the last at all, in which I didn't arrive home until shortly before midnight. All light he had was coming from the window.
I didn't think much of it due to his normal nature for the week after, but idk. I am at a loss.
The log files for cage conditions don't show any abnormalities. While of course not ideal, unless you had extreme temps or other conditions, he would be okay for a short time.

Oh, I totally forgot this. Humidity is controlled using a fogger. No! Only use at night and only if your temps are cool enough. You never want to fog during the day. For hydration, you do want to mist his enclosure for at least 2 minutes twice a day - right before lights go on and off. If you feel his urates are too dark you can either add a mid day misting or use a dripper mid day for 15-20 minutes. The water I use for this (and in the morning when spraying) comes from sealed filter spring water (minerals) and purified water (reverse osmosis) in a 75% spring 25% purified mix. When the sensors detect a drop of humidity below 70% during the day, the fogger will dial up (or on) quite a bit to bring that back up. At around 75% it dials back to kind of an idle and follows a curve of reduction if humidity continues to increase when approaching 80%. When going over 80% dials back much more and if hitting 83% will shutoff entirely, until 70% again. The reason for shutoff entirely is just incase there is some sort of malfunction or other factor causing the humidity to be increased quite significantly. This does not happen often however, as the program is designed to learn based off the past. When approaching lights off, this method changes. Fogger will dial back approx 1.5 hours beforehand. I say approx, because if we are sitting closer to 80% the number is closer to 2 hours, where if we are at lows 70's we are around 1 hour. This will drop back to the 60 - 65 % range.

Lighting will also begin to start dimming at one hour. This is fixed. This is on a basic fractional where every minutes light intensity reduces by 1.6% each minute, with the last minute turning off entirely. Since I have fade in and fade out light cycles, he is on a 14 hour cycle from on to off, with full exposure for 12. Oh, ok…cool! (y)

Temperature works similarly. Again non light emitting temperature for the most part, unless I have some weird instance where temperature is significantly lower than usual, where I have a secondary light emitting heating element that will kick on to compensate. This is nice for two reason. First, if it's like winter and says some weird instance happens like a baseball goes through my window while I am not home and temperature starts dropping extensively. Secondly, says my non light emitting heating element burns out. Obviously I would have no idea until I personally look at the temp gauges in the cage, but an extra amount of light showing from his cage would be a pretty obvious indication that for some reason something is not right and I need to investigate. Ok. I don’t see a problem with this, but do make sure to reset the temps appropriately. Now why not just do two non light heat elements? Personal fear that I may not notice primary is out and then secondary burns and there is a blizzard or something and I can't leave for several days (few years ago I had a puppy break his leg a few years back during a blizzard and I had to stint his poor little leg and wait two days before making it to an emergency vet poor baby! where I had to pick the doc up and travel to the office as snow was still too bad to drive), so I want to know right away when it has gone bad asap.
I know this is a lot, but no other pets cross his path. I am the only living being he has direct vision of throughout the day, with an occasional other person once in a blue moon, as he is in my home office that is private and generally has the doors closed. I do not have a pupper anymore, sadly, nor any other roaming animals. I say roaming, because I have a smaller fish tank located just above my desk screens that has mainly shrimps and catfish. Just him and I live here. Ok

Last, but not least, I spray once in the morning to simulate that morning due type of environment and get some good droplets on the plants etc. I know they like to wake up, feast, drink, then go chill in basking to let digest, this is why I do it this way.
Any tips, info, requests for more pics or anything? Maybe somebody has gone through similar and figured it out. I’ll be making a separate post for this. Told you I talk a lot. 🤭

**** EDIT pretty sure it is a lighting issue. I took a 48" UVB light that has had maybe one hours time on it and set it vertically along the side of his tank. Nope. 1st, uvb won’t penetrate thru glass, plastic and stuff like that. 2nd is you want to provide artificial sun, which is always above. You want to rays reflecting down on him. Just let it hang over the sides for now. When he gets his upgraded enclosure, it will fit better. He is now sideways facing butt up on the edge of the tank right in front of the bulb with his one side slightly black. He is also opening his eyes and looking around every once in a while, not just when I am in his cage. I will be replacing his bulb soon. ****

To be continued again….

So, you’ve been given a lot of info and changes to make, but we aren’t quite all the way there yet. Let’s go back to veileds eating veggies and plant matter. While we don’t need to provide and veggies and stuff to them, we do need to ensure that they have only safe live and clean plants that they will nibble or maybe even devour. (Each one has different plant appetites). Pothos is now your newest best friend. It has happened before (and we try hard to prevent it from ever happening again) that a veiled nibbled a fake leaf, got a bowel obstruction from it and either needed expensive emergency care or died. It’s safest to remove all fake plants, mosses and anything else like that. I hang my fake plants on the outside of my enclosures to give my chams a little more sense of privacy. Some plants will need a grow light, so do keep that in mind. You want to provide a lush little forest edge with an open area for basking, lots of leaves to hide in/under and drink from and lots of branches to travel on.
For having his eyes closed now, I’m really not sure why. He could be getting a respiratory infection, have internal parasites, husbandry issues caught up with him (younger chameleons have zero resources to fall back on) or any number of things. Even though you have left over antibiotics, DO NOT use them!!! Medications need to be prescribed by vets due to so very many factors including, doses are per body weight/size, our guess at the problem is usually wrong, we could do serious damage to our animal up to killing them. I see at least two options for you - make the changes suggested and see if that makes your little one open his eyes and feel better or take him to a good vet who has experience with chameleons. I always go to the vet and that is my recommendation along with making needed husbandry changes. I hope I’ve been of some help and that your little one feels better.

light was only placed on side due to low space on top to see if he would go towards it or indicate a lighting issue. Is now removed. I have T5 UVB bulbs
you should not place light in other places that is not the top of the cage. it messes their eyes. they having evolves, nor any anymal for that matter to have the sun shine infront of them for all the hours of the day.

Back
Top Bottom