Chameleon not waking up fully during day

Info:

Species: adult male panther chameleon
UVB: Arcadia 6% linear bulb (I just replaced it a month or so ago)
Heat: Zoo Med Daylight Blue Reptile Bulbs - 100 Watt
Daytime temp: 82F basking, 70-80F throughout
Daytime humidity: 38-45%
Nighttime temp: 65-68F
Nighttime temp: 68-80%
Diet: primarily Dubia roaches and BSFL dusted with calcium without D3 every feeding and calcium with D3 twice/month. He usually eats about 8 roaches per feeding

Concern:

Hey all -

My adult male panther chameleon doesn’t seem to be waking up fully even though his lights turned on about 4 hours ago (7am PT). He was also in the same exact position last night before his lights went off (6:30pm PT). I went in during the night and he was sleeping with his eyes completely closed during the nighttime (about 10pm PT).

We just set the clocks back an hour for daylight savings time so I thought it was just him getting a bit confused with the schedule, but now that it’s been longer I’m worried it’s something more serious. It’s almost like he has his “pajama” colors on, although that isn’t his normal sleeping spot. Normally he tucks himself behind the foliage and curls up in the back.

Also, his eyes are half open and unresponsive when I come up to the enclosure.

Pictures of Rainy the chameleon, enclosure, current parameters, and lighting attached. I also attached a screenshot from the humidity and temperature shifts over the past week.

Please let me know if you need additional information!

PS - he had a healthy urate on Thursday of last week and ate his regular amount (but a little slower than usual)

Attachments

• IMG_0577.jpeg
    IMG_0577.jpeg
    401 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_0584.jpeg
    IMG_0584.jpeg
    199 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_0585.jpeg
    IMG_0585.jpeg
    196.2 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_0586.jpeg
    IMG_0586.jpeg
    194.9 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_1011.png
    IMG_1011.png
    123.3 KB · Views: 15
Last edited:
Info:

Species: adult male panther chameleon
UVB: Arcadia 6% linear bulb (I just replaced it a month or so ago)
Heat: Zoo Med Daylight Blue Reptile Bulbs - 100 Watt
Daytime temp: 82F basking, 70-80F throughout
Daytime humidity: 38-45%
Nighttime temp: 65-68F
Nighttime temp: 68-80%
Diet: primarily Dubia roaches and BSFL dusted with calcium without D3 every feeding and calcium with D3 twice/month. He usually eats about 8 roaches per feeding

Concern:

Hey all -

My adult male panther chameleon doesn’t seem to be waking up fully even though his lights turned on about 4 hours ago (7am PT). He was also in the same exact position last night before his lights went off (6:30pm PT). I went in during the night and he was sleeping with his eyes completely closed during the nighttime (about 10pm PT).

We just set the clocks back an hour for daylight savings time so I thought it was just him getting a bit confused with the schedule, but now that it’s been longer I’m worried it’s something more serious. It’s almost like he has his “pajama” colors on, although that isn’t his normal sleeping spot. Normally he tucks himself behind the foliage and curls up in the back.

Also, his eyes are half open and unresponsive when I come up to the enclosure.

Pictures of Rainy the chameleon, enclosure, current parameters, and lighting attached. I also attached a screenshot from the humidity and temperature shifts over the past week.

Please let me know if you need additional information!

PS - he had a healthy urate on Thursday of last week and ate his regular amount (but a little slower than usual)
Hun what is your total distance from the screen where the UVB sits and the closest branch below the UVB?

About 12”
So this is too far away. The UVI he is getting is much lower than it should be. You want a branch that is 8-9 inches below the UVB running parallel to the fixture. This will put him in the 3 UVI he needs. This would explain all the symptoms your saying he is exhibiting.

So this is too far away. The UVI he is getting is much lower than it should be. You want a branch that is 8-9 inches below the UVB running parallel to the fixture. This will put him in the 3 UVI he needs. This would explain all the symptoms your saying he is exhibiting.
Got it! So if that’s the case, what should I do as soon as possible (besides raising the basking branch?

Got it! So if that’s the case, what should I do as soon as possible (besides raising the basking branch?
Just that... If it is UVB issue only then within a few days to a week you should see a total difference in him. He should become far more alert and active.

Just that... If it is UVB issue only then within a few days to a week you should see a total difference in him. He should become far more alert and active.
And would this cause him to act like this kind of suddenly? He has been fine until yesterday

If he is not getting the UVB he needs then yes with how they hide illness this could be it or part of it.
Ok thank you, I just moved him to a higher branch, we will see how it does up there. Is it worth taking him outside in the sun? I know that’s not really the same as the UVB bulb but maybe do that this week until he feels better?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    205.9 KB · Views: 12
Ok thank you, I just moved him to a higher branch, we will see how it does up there. Is it worth taking him outside in the sun? I know that’s not really the same as the UVB bulb but maybe do that this week until he feels better?

Also, should I increase the frequency of the multi vitamin if he is lacking in the nutrients that come from the UVB?
So if your temps outside are above 60 then in direct sun it should be warm enough for him. Risk here is if he is not used to going outside it could cause a lot of stress. One vs the other you will not see a faster response.

But note if there is something secondary going on the UVB being correct will not be enough.

No, you would not increase the multivitamin. More oral D3 will do the opposite of what you want it to. Natural D3 synthesis from the UVB is what you want. Along with the UVA which stimulates appetite and activity.

So if your temps outside are above 60 then in direct sun it should be warm enough for him. Risk here is if he is not used to going outside it could cause a lot of stress. One vs the other you will not see a faster response.

But note if there is something secondary going on the UVB being correct will not be enough.

No, you would not increase the multivitamin. More oral D3 will do the opposite of what you want it to. Natural D3 synthesis from the UVB is what you want. Along with the UVA which stimulates appetite and activity.
Yeah I think our temps will be fine here to bring him outside in the sun. I brought him outside last summer/fall when it was warmer! So he’s semi-used to it although it’s been a few months.

Good news, since I put that new branch in there he is perking up a bit so hopefully it was that! He is more alert, but still odd colors. We will see how tomorrow goes.

Do you happen to think it could be a respiratory infection? Someone else mentioned that and he doesn’t show any of the other symptoms of an infection but maybe it’s a possibility?

Back
Top Bottom