vieled is dying

budthecham

my vieled is dying last few days wont eat wont drink,. just lays in thew same spot all day he falls down when he walks. i have him in a screened cage, he gets proper water and crickets, mealworms. as he needs and i use a baskin bulB UVA, and a tropical 5.0uvb bulb. his tongue is hanging out today and it has been the last few weeks AND HE HAS NOT BEEN ABLE TO CATCH BUT THE SMALLEST OF THE SMALL CRICKETs could he have injusred it by misfirin at a cricket and getting a branch, barely but today it is almost an inch out. he is always w/ his eyes closed, and they open if you blow on him or barely touch him. anything i can do?
what would a vet do in this situation.

Find out what a vet would and take him to one. Its not fair to the chameleon to let him be sick, especially if you dont know the cause. We need more details of the type of cages he's in, EXACTLY what your feeding and EXACTLY what kind of lights your using. The symptoms you explained made it sound like he has severe bone disease from lack of nutrients in his diet and poor lighting.

yeah i got the same situation but i got 8 that will most likely all perish.
most likey 1 by 1. as horrible as it might seem you might have to end its life at some point unless you wish to watch it die.the last 24-48 hrs can be very ugly. i already made up my mind that i will end the suffering when they are beyond recovery. maybe you get lucky end it will survive.
i beleive someone caused mine to get sick.they either savataged there vitamins or did something to cause them to fall ill so now whoever is responsible for this left me with the burden of putting them out of misery.

Fate X

make sure his tounge doesn't dry out, put his body on some moist paper towels, if he is too weak to drink that should help him rehydrate some and help his tounge stay hydrated, keep misting his face and tounge, and he'll either get better or not, I'd get him to a vet asap if possible

i built a cage screen topper Above a 29 galllon tank. the screened area is much larger than the glass section. he is under a 100w zoomed bask bulb and a reptiglo 5.0. i feed him crickets, carrots mealworms. i put put bread carrots and flukers calcium in th e cricket contaianer, i run lights from 630 to 630. how much would a vet visit cost?

Get him to the vet..............

I would take him to the vet ASAP. There may not be anything the vet can do but put him to sleep, but it's the right thing to do. He should have been taken to the vet a week ago when he first started having problems. I see you first posted something on 1/12/08 and nobody responded to your plea for help. I'm sorry about that. Someone should have responded even if it was to say take him to the vet now. I don't know why you got no response. People are usually pretty helpful here.

I also don't know why some people seem to think that reptiles deserve less care than a dog or a cat. They are living and feeling creatures. Yet it often seems to be the case. Most people, if they had a dog or cat that was suffering in this same way, would take it to the vet right away. They would not wait a week and watch it suffer so. And yet I see, time after time, people doing this with their reptiles. If you purchase or adopt a reptile you are accepting the responsibility for it's LIFE. It is totally dependent on it's human caregiver. If you can't afford the time or money required to take care of it in all possible situations.........don't aquire it!!!!! Sorry to be harsh, but I feel the need to vent these bottled feelings right now.

one other thing i cut the botom of a styrofoam cup off and put the carrots and tore the legs off some crickets since he has had trouble catching food. and come to find one day i came home and there was 2 small bite marks out of the side of the cup. could this have effected him? but his tongue was already ahngin out of his mouth a few days earlier

i built a cage screen topper Above a 29 galllon tank. the screened area is much larger than the glass section. he is under a 100w zoomed bask bulb and a reptiglo 5.0. i feed him crickets, carrots mealworms. i put put bread carrots and flukers calcium in th e cricket contaianer, i run lights from 630 to 630. how much would a vet visit cost?

I have to ask. DO YOU HAVE ANY IDEA WHAT YOUR TEMPERATURES ARE IN THAT CAGE????
ARE YOU USING A COMPACT FLOURESENT UVB LIGHT? Any time I see the work "tropical" I get worried. Are you dusting crickets with calcum? Sounds like either you cooked him or he as advanced MBD or a possible tongue infection or maybe all 3. I am not sure what happened with your original post because someone surely would have answered it. YOU NEED A VET ASAP!

i'm sorry i can't let that 2nd thread go, eight cham's dying? overnight? someone else's fault? how many people take care of your cham's? sabatoged the vitamin's? you didn't know until now? maybe i am missing the info but that sounds nuts.
drew
hearing that and then walking thru the westchester show a few weeks ago and seeing all these dehydrated chameleon's packed together for sale and the seller's standing there with smiles on their faces, giving information??how can they give information?? i saw veileds so dehydrated they were laying on their sides on the bottom of the cage, i too wonder maybe these animals are not meant to be pets. we have all lost chameleons due to this and that but what chances do those have? even if the owner had all the best intentions?? don't want to be negative and rant but!! look at the chameleon's for sale page, bought 8 months ago and can't take care of them anymore,, well then maybe you should not have bought them, who suffers??
drew

i'm sorry i can't let that 2nd thread go, eight cham's dying? overnight? someone else's fault? how many people take care of your cham's? sabatoged the vitamin's? you didn't know until now? maybe i am missing the info but that sounds nuts.
drew
hearing that and then walking thru the westchester show a few weeks ago and seeing all these dehydrated chameleon's packed together for sale and the seller's standing there with smiles on their faces, giving information??how can they give information?? i saw veileds so dehydrated they were laying on their sides on the bottom of the cage, i too wonder maybe these animals are not meant to be pets. we have all lost chameleons due to this and that but what chances do those have? even if the owner had all the best intentions?? don't want to be negative and rant but!! look at the chameleon's for sale page, bought 8 months ago and can't take care of them anymore,, well then maybe you should not have bought them, who suffers??
drew[/QUO
the chams suffer as they are dying,this didnt happen overnight they started losing their appitite first,then they got dehydrated,it seemed to hit the most gravid female first"lucky" then 1 by 1 they all started looking dehydrated ,now they are not all on the deathbed but they could all die.i am doing what i can but i must be careful as not to do do much or to little,i want to preserve aS many as i can.i believe i will lose my one female veiled lucky.only 3 of these chams are under 1 yr. old the rest are 2 yrs maybe a little more.

Last edited:
yes i keep temperatures and humidity the temp mid cage is on 75 and his basking temp is about 90-95 depending on where he decides to poistion himself. the bulb is a reptiglo 5.0 and i use the 100w baskin bulb which i believe is zoo med. he is about 7 inches from the uvb bulb and i would say about 10 from the basking bulb. since he cant keep his tongue in his mouthi assume it is a tongue issue. i live in mckinney texas. aand have no clue where reptile vets are

my vieled is dying last few days wont eat wont drink,. just lays in thew same spot all day he falls down when he walks. i have him in a screened cage, he gets proper water and crickets, mealworms. as he needs and i use a baskin bulB UVA, and a tropical 5.0uvb bulb. his tongue is hanging out today and it has been the last few weeks AND HE HAS NOT BEEN ABLE TO CATCH BUT THE SMALLEST OF THE SMALL CRICKETs could he have injusred it by misfirin at a cricket and getting a branch, barely but today it is almost an inch out. he is always w/ his eyes closed, and they open if you blow on him or barely touch him. anything i can do?
what would a vet do in this situation.
i recommend not playing vet and take him to see a real vet

How do people not notice scrolling several times to the bottom of the forums list?! I thought the "This forum has not been active for over 365 days" would be kind of a deterrent for these posts.

Back
Top Bottom