Male veiled can't extend tongue at all

Edgar (5+ yr old male veiled) has been acting weak. I noticed he didn't eat a silkworm I had for him 2 days ago (unusual) and today, he hovered over a pile of wax worms just now, clearly hungry, tried to extend his tongue but couldn'. I don't think he's been able to for at least several days . Vet didn't see anything obvious but we are operating on low calcium and dehydration hypothesis. Any thoughts?

When did you change your UVB last and what type are you using? And can you please tell me about your supplements and frequency used?

Could you post a pic of the entire enclosure from lighting down so I can see overall set up of his environment. And may I see a pic of Edgar as well?

He might have hyper extended it, so it might not come out for a good long time, or never again. Most of mine never make it till death with a fully functional tongue.

If its low calcium, it starts out as misses, as the flinging bone gets springy. Unfortunately chams cant adjust aim, so if that bone get permanently deformed, they will always miss by the same amount.

I take it right now hes doing is best interpretation of a beardy and fully extending the tongue as if you drink, but wondering why its not shooting out at the feeder. They normally learn real quick to walk up to the feeder and eat like most lizards.

The tongue is a mussel an often as they get old the tongue mussel gets weak and they can no longer use their tongue. You may just need to hand feed him for the rest of his life. That’s what I do.

It is the same chameleon that is in the thread @kinyonga linked. There was quite a bit going on with this cham in the original thread.

He might have hyper extended it, so it might not come out for a good long time, or never again. Most of mine never make it till death with a fully functional tongue.

If its low calcium, it starts out as misses, as the flinging bone gets springy. Unfortunately chams cant adjust aim, so if that bone get permanently deformed, they will always miss by the same amount.

I take it right now hes doing is best interpretation of a beardy and fully extending the tongue as if you drink, but wondering why its not shooting out at the feeder. They normally learn real quick to walk up to the feeder and eat like most lizards.
He just tried to eat some wax worms. He acted very interested when I held up the dish, but was able to extend his tongue only about a half inch.

He gets straight calcium on his feeders (crickets, silkworms, wax worms, very occassional horn worms) and Reptivite D3 around the 15th and 30th of every month. I think he's not been getting enough calcium when I switched from mostly crickets to mostly silkworms as not much calcium stayed on the worms. Now I know to mist them first so it sticks but only just figured that out. Also, due to a misunderstanding on my part re: the UV bulb, he went several months too long with an old bulb before I replaced it in Jan. At that time he was not symptomatic.

When did you change your UVB last and what type are you using? And can you please tell me about your supplements and frequency used?

Could you post a pic of the entire enclosure from lighting down so I can see overall set up of his environment. And may I see a pic of Edgar as well?
Are you still needing these or did you access previous pics?

He gets straight calcium on his feeders (crickets, silkworms, wax worms, very occassional horn worms) and Reptivite D3 around the 15th and 30th of every month. I think he's not been getting enough calcium when I switched from mostly crickets to mostly silkworms as not much calcium stayed on the worms. Now I know to mist them first so it sticks but only just figured that out. Also, due to a misunderstanding on my part re: the UV bulb, he went several months too long with an old bulb before I replaced it in Jan. At that time he was not symptomatic.
What kind of hood are you using?

Back
Top Bottom